• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Meathead
    Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
    • Jul 2002

The Fall of Willis McGahee

It began months ago.

The Ravens hired no-nonsense Eagles secondary coach John Harbaugh as head coach on January 18. He assembled an all-star supporting staff, retaining defensive boss Rex Ryan and tabbing Cam Cameron as offensive coordinator. Well regarded former Bengals assistant Hue Jackson signed on to tutor the quarterbacks with former 49ers offensive coordinator Jim Hostler named receivers coach.

Cameron pledged to make McGahee an "every-down back" in the spring. Cam's track record with running backs (see LaDainian Tomlinson, Ronnie Brown's first half in 2007) was impressive and all signs pointed to McGahee getting another heavy workload in 2008, with possibly more involvement in the passing game than ever.

But McGahee didn't endear himself to the new regime right off the bat. He skipped virtually all "non-mandatory" offseason work, and when he finally did report in late May, McGahee was out of shape. Baltimore had used the 55th overall pick on Rutgers' Ray Rice and the rookie began running with the first-team offense early in training camp because McGahee was out with a "leg" injury.

On August 11 it was revealed that McGahee needed arthroscopic surgery on the same knee he had reconstructed several times due to a devastating college injury. He missed the entire preseason. In Week 1, McGahee was active against Cincinnati but did not get the football. The Ravens inserted Lorenzo Neal at fullback and switched LeRon McClain to tailback. McClain totaled 111 yards on 21 touches; Rice 85 on 25 touches.

All along, the clued-in Baltimore Sun beat dropped subtle hints that McGahee had fallen out of favor, at one point even suggesting he might not last the season on the roster. Friday's edition ran an alarming column entitled "McGahee falling out of the running." The story's first line is "In the Ravens' new running scheme, the joke could end up being on Willis McGahee." It goes on to essentially assert that a committee backfield is imminent and that McGahee may not even start Week 2 despite taking most of the practice reps all week and being listed as "probable."

Find all the latest Rotoworld fantasy sports news, live coverage, videos, highlights, stats, predictions, and results right here on NBC Sports.

spikes and willis for edwards and stroud

pwnd3dE256
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community
  • RingofFire
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Dec 2007

Re: The Fall of Willis McGahee

Rice had 64 yards not 85. He actually fumbled ball too.

Comment

• Captain gameboy
      • Jul 2002

A gigantic "I told you so." is transmitted from Bills fans everywhere.

Comment

• Crisis
        • Aug 2004

you mean willis had a good first season because he had something to prove, and after that got completely lazy and content?

oh man i wonder where we've seen that before...
        Originally posted by LOSman WINS
        Vanek is Austrian not European
        Originally posted by Prov401
        Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
        Originally posted by better days
        I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• Confused
          All-Pro Zoner
          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Crisis
          you mean willis had a good first season because he had something to prove, and after that got completely lazy and content?

oh man i wonder where we've seen that before...

right on the head crisis. what a turd this guy is. how many kids did he father in that year?

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

I hope he drops over dead inside an Applebees
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• shelby
              The Vanilla *****
              • Jul 2002

well that's kind of harsh.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                Roways rooking ahread!
                • Sep 2005

We got jammed with Spikes to start with, so we ended up making a positive out of a negative.

Comment

• VeggieMan14
                  • Jan 2008

Total waste of a good talent in my opinion
                  I feel a win streak coming and a Bills Playoff Run!!!

VeggieMan- To many Concussions as a kid

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                    • Jul 2002

An interesting fact from the Friday article-Willis isn't making much in annual salary for 2008 & 2009. He got big signing $, but his salary is low.
                    Would anyone be surprised if Willis wants to get cut before 2009, figuring there's another big payday sooner rather than later if he & Drew can hoodwink another team? They know he'll be gone by 2010 based on salary escalation, so why would they want to play for peanuts next year when he'd make more as a free agent. I expect he'll soon be saying how much better the nightlife is in DC or Philly, and say all the Baltimore women aren't worthy of being his baby mamas.

Comment

• Goobylal
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Albany,n.y.
                      An interesting fact from the Friday article-Willis isn't making much in annual salary for 2008 & 2009. He got big signing $, but his salary is low.
                      Would anyone be surprised if Willis wants to get cut before 2009, figuring there's another big payday sooner rather than later if he & Drew can hoodwink another team? They know he'll be gone by 2010 based on salary escalation, so why would they want to play for peanuts next year when he'd make more as a free agent. I expect he'll soon be saying how much better the nightlife is in DC or Philly, and say all the Baltimore women aren't worthy of being his baby mamas.
                      Willis has made ~$14.6M his previous 5 seasons. I don't know how much he'll make this year, but you figure he'll make about $700K. Not too bad for 5 years of work (he didn't play his rookie year).

And if he gets cut, he won't get big money offers. He's damaged goods and his attitude is well-known now. No more blaming being in Buffalo for his disposition, although I'm sure he'll start saying that Baltimore women aren't anything like SoFlo women and the Ravens stink, blah, blah, blah...

If only TD hadn't been suckered-in by Rosensleaze. Then again, Travis Henry turned out to be a nightmare after leaving Buffalo, so they'd have needed another RB anyway.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                        • Mar 2005

I've hear several commentators just go off on what a complete a-hole McGahee is as a person.

Adam Schein said he's one of the bigesst "jerk" players he has ever met and went as far to say "he didn't like him at all".

Comment

• trapezeus
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Goobylal
                          Willis has made ~$14.6M his previous 5 seasons. I don't know how much he'll make this year, but you figure he'll make about $700K. Not too bad for 5 years of work (he didn't play his rookie year).

And if he gets cut, he won't get big money offers. He's damaged goods and his attitude is well-known now. No more blaming being in Buffalo for his disposition, although I'm sure he'll start saying that Baltimore women aren't anything like SoFlo women and the Ravens stink, blah, blah, blah...

If only TD hadn't been suckered-in by Rosensleaze. Then again, Travis Henry turned out to be a nightmare after leaving Buffalo, so they'd have needed another RB anyway.
                          that being said Goobyla, the only places he can go now are dallas and DC. They love these kind of players. DC pays them huge amounts to do nothing, and Dallas pays them large amounts and they find their groove again. There must be some kind of "Lost" aura around these two areas.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                            • Feb 2005

McGahee is yet another case of a player with elite talent and less than average brain power.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
                              Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by shelby
                              well that's kind of harsh.
                              actually I don't think it's harsh enough. The guy lambasted an organization, city, and fanbase for no good reason. They took a huge gamble on this punk and he repays them with laziness and slander. He's up there with Rob Johnson and Bryan Cox, IMO

"Hey, the other 31 teams don't want you. How about you come sit the bench for us for a year. We'll even help you out by giving you a contract and letting you rehab. You don't have to do squat for us" - Buffalo

"Thanks. By the way you suck, I hate my really terrible life here, and I can't get laid every 25 minutes by some unsuspecting slampig. Wanna go race Harley's at Dave and Busters?" - Willis

"EAT A DICK" - Brasky and Bills Nation

ROT IN HELL WILLIS.

Comment

Working...
                              X