PDA

View Full Version : Fewell gets more from Bills’ defense

shelby
09-14-2008, 07:15 AM
Pick any metaphor you like. Perry Fewell entertains them all. He’s a kid in a candy store, a contractor with a more elaborate toolbox, a chess player with more powerful pieces and a greater creative command of the board. The Bills’ third-year defensive coordinator has a deeper, more talented and mature unit this season, and he’s thrilled. On the field, Fewell can employ more aggressive schemes. In the meeting rooms and in practice, he can move faster because his guys are more schooled in what he’s doing.
Fewell was asked if he has more players who think like coaches now. He hesitated and looked his questioner directly in the eye.
“I have more players now who think the way I think,” Fewell said. “Yes, sir.”
Since training camp began, there have been numerous occasions when Fewell was making a technical point about the defense, only to have one of the defensive players chime in and finish the thought before it was out of his mouth.
“I said something to [Kawika] Mitchell in a meeting this morning about a particular scheme,” Fewell said Wednesday. “Before I could say the addendum to it, he told me what he should be looking for. I just got up and walked out of the room. I said, ‘Hey, we’re on the same page.’ ”

full story (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/438862.html)

baalworship
09-14-2008, 08:57 AM
Fewell is my favorite Bills assistant. I can't wait to see what he has cooked up for the Jags makeshift o-line.

casdhf
09-14-2008, 09:16 AM
It's a shame that if we have a good season he'll probably end up a head coach somewhere.