PDA

View Full Version : Please, no more excuses.

Rebecky
08-27-2002, 08:26 PM
"If you make excuses for losing, you are a loser." Steve Spurrier.

Seems like that's all the Bills coaches, front office, players and fans do anymore -- we make excuses for losing.

Look at Washington -- talk about excuses, they don't have anything except scrub QB's on the roster. The receiving corps was restocked with whatever was "cheap and available" (quote from a pre-preseason Redskins rag). The defensive line was so old and ravaged, there was talk that they'd be forced to go to the 3-4 simply for lack of talent (again, from a pre-preseason Redskins rag).

Well, look at them now. The heck preseason doesn't count!

Spurrier (and Lewis) brilliantly USED the preseason protocol to their advantage to set the entire Redskin team and most of its fan base on fire -- and because of this increased confidence, the team HAS improved exponentially.

They don't know they're not supposed to be very good -- they don't realize it's just preseason -- they don't know it doesn't count -- they don't they don't know all the excuses that COULD be made for them -- they don't realize how far above their "pathetic potential" they are playing. Right now, they only know that they are WINNERS.

It's not too late for the Bills THIS season. Praise God, we have an upcoming preseason game with the LIONS -- the worst team in the league. Come on, coaches, let's blow them out of the water -- run up the score! Let's use this game to really fire up the team and the fans. Let's fire up a team that plays so far above its potential, it really CAN beat the Jets.

mackey789
08-27-2002, 08:38 PM
preseason doesnt count, i will say it first

Rebecky
08-27-2002, 08:43 PM
Mackey, I love you like a sister -- don't make me hurt you.

SoCalBillsFan
08-27-2002, 08:47 PM
preseason records dont mean crap, I agree. But Rebecky makes a good point. Coaching can win games, even with average talent. I don't want any excuses this year either. Pick up the slack, coaches.

lordofgun
08-27-2002, 08:54 PM
I refuse to panic until the real games start!

casdhf
08-27-2002, 09:12 PM
Boo-ya

too early to panic

WG
08-27-2002, 11:18 PM
Too early to panic indeed! But, we still have to figure out a way to stop Martin and the Jets from amassing 40+ points against us.

Rebecky,

The Skins have way more talent on their D than we do!!! Tons more w/ the exception of at the Corners.

Offense, they are well stocked as well other than at QB. Davis is proven and their WRs are better than most people give them credit for.

SABURZFAN
08-28-2002, 03:29 AM
we'll see if spurrier puts up 40 PPG in regular season.

BambinoSux
08-28-2002, 06:32 AM
I predict that the Redskins go 5-11. Reason being that when Wuerfell gets into a full game with the real first team defenses, he's gonna get eaten alive. Maybe when they draft Rex next year they'll do better but watch what the Redskins O does in the regular season. You won't be impressed.

Bufftp
08-28-2002, 06:43 AM
It will be interesting ti see how the skins do in the real season.
Wys- I don't think the Jets will put 40+ points up against us in the opener.

Ebenezer
08-28-2002, 06:54 AM
let the real bullets fly and then we can discuss it.

Captain gameboy
08-28-2002, 06:55 AM
Come on, the Skins may have the best linebacking group in the league, but he who lives for the preseason dies in the regular season. It's the Minnesota Viking strategy of years past. I look for preseason "games" to be limited to two. The players would be crazy to allow these injury threat exhibitions to continue at four per year. Nothing more than a way to increase revenue.

casdhf
08-28-2002, 07:42 AM
The 'Skins are definately better than 5-11

Rebecky
08-28-2002, 08:29 AM
Point is, whatever their potential WAS, they've risen above it now and will have a better record than they WOULD have had without this preseason fire and confidence and swagger. They've raised their level of play.

Will they win every game? Of course not. But they WILL go into every game believing that they SHOULD win and CAN win, and that's how they'll play.

Stewie
08-28-2002, 11:52 PM
Thats a good point. The confidence gained in preseason could be good for an early season victory. I think we can beat the jets, no problem. Having the game at home is HUGE.

lordofgun
08-29-2002, 12:27 AM
Agreed Paul! And I for one will be there to see it happen!

Phins054
08-29-2002, 10:11 AM
Washingtons O is not going to put up monster point in the season...Their D is solid, but the O will struggle to consistently put up points...Spurrier is in for a RUDE awakening...

TedMock
08-29-2002, 12:35 PM
I'll agree with the confidence factor but I don't see the skins going better than 9-7. They haven't lit up anybody's first string yet. Most of the damage has been done in the 3rd and 4th quarters so I don't think I'd be too confident as a skins fan just yet.

Stewie
08-29-2002, 04:39 PM
I predict Washington's offense will be statistically near 20th in the league as far as scoring points, which is right about where they should be given their talent level..

lordofgun
08-29-2002, 04:46 PM
Their D is gonna be awesome though.

casdhf
08-29-2002, 05:43 PM
:lol:

BillyT92679
08-30-2002, 04:51 PM
They didn't exactly rock the house against the Pats last night.

Rebecky
08-30-2002, 06:34 PM
And Spurrier pulled the official plug on Wuerffel (as starter) last night. Matthews didn't look too bad.

One thing you do know with Spurrier -- he'll never calmly watch the team make the same ineffective plays or the same mistakes OVER and OVER and OVER -- he's pretty good at figuring out what's happening on the field and he'll do SOMETHING, he'll make some kind of adjustment. That's what I'd like to see more of from GW.