PDA

View Full Version : Playcalling: Exhibit A

MikeInRoch
09-14-2008, 07:36 PM
Bills are up 1 point at the two minute warning. 2nd down and 9 at the 19. Jacksonville has no times outs left. Here's the play from the official pbp on nfl.com:

2-9-JAC 19 (2:00) 5-T.Edwards sacked at JAC 27 for -8 yards (97-R.Hayward).

I *loved* this playcall. Why?

If you remember it was a fake handoff left where Edwards curled back around to the right with the ball. It was designed with the idea in mind that the defense would ALL be following the running back, even the defender with contain on that side. If that happens, and Trent can either run or has a WR completely alone, that play ends the game. The very worst case (assuming that Trent is smart enough to take the sack instead of throwing into any kind of coverage) is exactly what happened - a sack. And we *still* are in field goal range, and we *still* run the clock.

Saratoga Slim
09-14-2008, 07:59 PM
In general, our offensive playcalling has been really impressive over the first two weeks. I REALLY like the usage of Freddy & Marshawn in the passing game--that was the difference today I thought. Kept numerous drives alive.

All in all, Turk already appears to be a huge upgrade over Fairchild.

BillsOwnAll
09-14-2008, 08:00 PM
I saw that play and thought the same thing. My first reaction I was pissed then I thought about it and was like. Ok ok not bad good play trent.