PDA

View Full Version : Concern from the game today

DMBcrew36
09-14-2008, 10:07 PM
I only have one concern from the game today against Jacksonville and that is tackling. Steve Tasker and Gus Johnson obviously made a point of it. The Bills couldn't tackle for **** in the 2nd half and it almost lost them the game. I realize that the problem will likely straighten itself out but I hope they talk about it at practice this week.

SABuffalo786
09-14-2008, 10:13 PM
I'm sure they will. It was glaring.

syracuse76
09-14-2008, 10:14 PM
I only have one concern from the game today against Jacksonville and that is tackling. Steve Tasker and Gus Johnson obviously made a point of it. The Bills couldn't tackle for **** in the 2nd half and it almost lost them the game. I realize that the problem will likely straighten itself out but I hope they talk about it at practice this week.

i think the jags oiled themselves up like GLOW wrestlers before the game

LABillsFan
09-14-2008, 10:14 PM
It may get tougher. McFadden is pretty big. The Bills had a hard time bringing down Taylor and Garrard.

Turf
09-14-2008, 10:56 PM
I think it was heat exhaustion. They should be OK.

LABillsFan
09-14-2008, 10:58 PM

It had to be tough out there no doubt.

DMBcrew36
09-14-2008, 11:02 PM

That's what I was thinking.

Mad Max
09-14-2008, 11:15 PM
It may get tougher. McFadden is pretty big. The Bills had a hard time bringing down Taylor and Garrard.

Lot's of folks have had a hard time bringing down Taylor. When he's healthy he's one of the best. And Garrard is a big mobile hostile load (ala vintage Culpepper),
So although the tackling does need improvement a couple of grains of salt need be ingested with the "poor tackling".

LABillsFan
09-14-2008, 11:19 PM
Lot's of folks have had a hard time bringing down Taylor. When he's healthy he's one of the best. And Garrard is a big mobile hostile load (ala vintage Culpepper),
So although the tackling does need improvement a couple of grains of salt need be ingested with the "poor tackling".

Agree with you, some guys are just beasts to bring down. McFadden will be one of those guys, but 8 in a box, get some penetration before he can get to the outside can help with that.

mchurchfie
09-14-2008, 11:19 PM
I think the Bills would be in the bottom third if there was a rating for tackling. It is very frustrating to see them get in the backfield and not reap the dividends.

LABillsFan
09-14-2008, 11:25 PM
I think the Bills would be in the bottom third if there was a rating for tackling. It is very frustrating to see them get in the backfield and not reap the dividends.

They do take some questionable lines in pursuit, sometimes even over pursuing. But the D comes up big when needed.

Tatonka
09-15-2008, 12:00 AM
is anyone concerned that jason peters sucked ass and almost got our qb killed because he is a selfish ***** who hasnt practiced with the team since last december?

he played very poorly today.

LifetimeBillsFan
09-15-2008, 01:19 AM
When a RB (Jones-Drew) gets hit 4 yards deep in the backfield and still ends up gaining 8 yards because 5 guys can't bring him down--and it isn't the first time in two games that a guy has gained positive yardage after getting hit in the backfield--I think it is fair to say that the poor quality of the tackling has to be a concern.

Especially when it happens twice in the same game (on Garrard's 9 yard scramble).

IMHO this is one of the biggest areas where the Bills will have to improve during the course of this season if they are going to seriously contend for a playoff berth.

Gang-tackling is fine. But, every team in the NFL has its big guys, its shifty runners, etc. and when a defender has a chance to make a tackle, at the very least he has to be able to slow the ball-carrier down to let his mates get to him if he can't make the tackle himself. And, a pro should be able to make that one-on-one tackle more often than we have seen from some of the Bills in these first two games.

So, yeah, if their tackling isn't a concern, IMHO it should be.

Jan Reimers
09-15-2008, 04:49 AM
I was very upset with the missed tackles. While a lot of our guys were guilty, Kawika Mitchell stood out to me as a really bad arm tackler.

kscdogbillsfan1221
09-15-2008, 07:06 AM
with the exception of the sack, Youboty was the best tackler out there yesterday i thought

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
09-15-2008, 08:44 AM
If this becomes a trend, we'll worry about it.

At this point, let's see if these guys can self correct it.

These guys have been playing football all their lives. They know how to tackle.

We held two good RBs to very little yardage, and made plays when we had to.

Good enough for me.

madness
09-15-2008, 10:18 AM

Exactly. If anybody ever played any sport in over 90 degree, humid heat... they'd tell you the same thing. You just get weaker much faster then normal.

It's not an excuse but sometimes there's just factors that you can't control especially when you're trying to tackle a QB built like a LB that can run like a RB and RB that stop and start on a dime.

I expect the coaching staff still to address it though, and I'm sure tackling will greatly improve next week.