X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DMBcrew36
    • Feb 2005

Concern from the game today

I only have one concern from the game today against Jacksonville and that is tackling. Steve Tasker and Gus Johnson obviously made a point of it. The Bills couldn't tackle for **** in the 2nd half and it almost lost them the game. I realize that the problem will likely straighten itself out but I hope they talk about it at practice this week.
  • SABuffalo786
    • Feb 2003

Re: Concern from the game today

I'm sure they will. It was glaring.
    "Do me a favor, say a prayer for brother Timmy. And tip a cold one. Go Bills." - Tom Brokaw

We are the Rockpile
    We are the Rockpile
    We are the Rockpile
    BUFF-A-LO

Comment

• syracuse76
      Knowing is half the battle......
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by DMBcrew36
      I only have one concern from the game today against Jacksonville and that is tackling. Steve Tasker and Gus Johnson obviously made a point of it. The Bills couldn't tackle for **** in the 2nd half and it almost lost them the game. I realize that the problem will likely straighten itself out but I hope they talk about it at practice this week.
      i think the jags oiled themselves up like GLOW wrestlers before the game
      2009 AFC East Division Champs 12-4
      POZ will lead us to the promise land
      "That which does not kill me,
      will only make me stronger"
      Nietzsche

Comment

• LABillsFan
        • Aug 2002

It may get tougher. McFadden is pretty big. The Bills had a hard time bringing down Taylor and Garrard.
        I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Comment

• Turf
          • Jul 2002

I think it was heat exhaustion. They should be OK.
          Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• LABillsFan
            • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Turf
            It had to be tough out there no doubt.

Comment

• DMBcrew36
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Turf
              That's what I was thinking.

Comment

• Mad Max
                Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by LABillsFan
                It may get tougher. McFadden is pretty big. The Bills had a hard time bringing down Taylor and Garrard.

Lot's of folks have had a hard time bringing down Taylor. When he's healthy he's one of the best. And Garrard is a big mobile hostile load (ala vintage Culpepper),
                So although the tackling does need improvement a couple of grains of salt need be ingested with the "poor tackling".

Comment

• LABillsFan
                  • Aug 2002

Originally posted by madmaxwell
                  Lot's of folks have had a hard time bringing down Taylor. When he's healthy he's one of the best. And Garrard is a big mobile hostile load (ala vintage Culpepper),
                  So although the tackling does need improvement a couple of grains of salt need be ingested with the "poor tackling".
                  Agree with you, some guys are just beasts to bring down. McFadden will be one of those guys, but 8 in a box, get some penetration before he can get to the outside can help with that.

Comment

• mchurchfie
                    • Jul 2002

I think the Bills would be in the bottom third if there was a rating for tackling. It is very frustrating to see them get in the backfield and not reap the dividends.
                    My Band
                    daveviterna.com

Comment

• LABillsFan
                      • Aug 2002

Originally posted by mchurchfie
                      I think the Bills would be in the bottom third if there was a rating for tackling. It is very frustrating to see them get in the backfield and not reap the dividends.

They do take some questionable lines in pursuit, sometimes even over pursuing. But the D comes up big when needed.

Comment

• Tatonka
                        • Jul 2002

is anyone concerned that jason peters sucked ass and almost got our qb killed because he is a selfish ***** who hasnt practiced with the team since last december?

he played very poorly today.
                        "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                          All-Pro Zoner
                          • Aug 2004

When a RB (Jones-Drew) gets hit 4 yards deep in the backfield and still ends up gaining 8 yards because 5 guys can't bring him down--and it isn't the first time in two games that a guy has gained positive yardage after getting hit in the backfield--I think it is fair to say that the poor quality of the tackling has to be a concern.

Especially when it happens twice in the same game (on Garrard's 9 yard scramble).

IMHO this is one of the biggest areas where the Bills will have to improve during the course of this season if they are going to seriously contend for a playoff berth.

Gang-tackling is fine. But, every team in the NFL has its big guys, its shifty runners, etc. and when a defender has a chance to make a tackle, at the very least he has to be able to slow the ball-carrier down to let his mates get to him if he can't make the tackle himself. And, a pro should be able to make that one-on-one tackle more often than we have seen from some of the Bills in these first two games.

So, yeah, if their tackling isn't a concern, IMHO it should be.
                          Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                            • May 2003

I was very upset with the missed tackles. While a lot of our guys were guilty, Kawika Mitchell stood out to me as a really bad arm tackler.
                            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
                              • Nov 2007

with the exception of the sack, Youboty was the best tackler out there yesterday i thought
                              I came.
                              I saw.
                              I conquered.

Comment

Working...
                              X