PDA

View Full Version : The Marcus Stroud factor

OpIv37
09-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Anyone notice how good Chris Kelsay looked last week, or how good Kyle Williams looked this week? Stroud is a major reason for that. In the past, teams could double team Schobel and just handle everyone else one on one. Now, they have to double team Stroud as well. If they don't, he tears it up. If they do, someone else runs free.

I know Stroud had a paltry stat line today, but he was in the back field a lot. He was rarely pushed out of the play, and when he was, it took two guys to do it so someone else was open.

Some DT's are good. Some DT's are so good that they make everyone else around them better- Sam Adams and Warren Sapp in their primes (well, when they kept their attitudes in check), Pat Williams, Albert Haynesworth (even though he's a dirtbag). Stroud is one of those guys and is exactly what this D has been missing.

LABillsFan
09-14-2008, 10:36 PM
:clap:

Tatonka
09-14-2008, 10:36 PM
im in absolute shock.. i forget sometimes that your actually a fan because your always *****ing about something.

and i agree.

:up:

Sportsuser101
09-14-2008, 10:38 PM
Anyone notice how good Chris Kelsay looked last week, or how good Kyle Williams looked this week? Stroud is a major reason for that. In the past, teams could double team Schobel and just handle everyone else one on one. Now, they have to double team Stroud as well. If they don't, he tears it up. If they do, someone else runs free.

I know Stroud had a paltry stat line today, but he was in the back field a lot. He was rarely pushed out of the play, and when he was, it took two guys to do it so someone else was open.

Some DT's are good. Some DT's are so good that they make everyone else around them better- Sam Adams and Warren Sapp in their primes (well, when they kept their attitudes in check), Pat Williams, Albert Haynesworth (even though he's a dirtbag). Stroud is one of those guys and is exactly what this D has been missing.

Kyle Williams looked good last week as well. The Bills defensive line is strong and Stroud is a huge reason why. Best thing about Stroud is that he plays alot more then Williams, Adams and Ted Washington did. He has alot more stamina and plays with a better motor then those 3.

Dr. Lecter
09-14-2008, 10:38 PM
Don't forget Poz.

He had 6 tackles today and was able to roam free and also had at least one well timed blitz that forced a Garrard throw.

Sportsuser101
09-14-2008, 10:41 PM
Don't forget Poz.

He had 6 tackles today and was able to roam free and also had at least one well timed blitz that forced a Garrard throw.

I honestly didn't think Poz made that much of an impact for a mike linebacker. I mean he was in on plays but I thought he was the 6th best defensive player for us today. I'm actually alittle disappointed in him.

Lexwhat
09-14-2008, 10:47 PM
I honestly didn't think Poz made that much of an impact for a mike linebacker. I mean he was in on plays but I thought he was the 6th best defensive player for us today. I'm actually alittle disappointed in him.

I agree that he's not a difference-maker, yet, but he's not a liability either.

However, to be fair, this was the FIFTH game of his career. He's a hard worker, and I think he'll only get better.

With that being said, the Bills could draft a MLB with their 1st rounder next year, and move Poz to SLB. That would be a great LB corps.

camelcowboy
09-14-2008, 10:52 PM
I agree that he's not a difference-maker, yet, but he's not a liability either.

However, to be fair, this was the FIFTH game of his career. He's a hard worker, and I think he'll only get better.

With that being said, the Bills could draft a MLB with their 1st rounder next year, and move Poz to SLB. That would be a great LB corps.He almost twisted jones drew head off.

raphael120
09-14-2008, 11:06 PM

Very good point. Some people fail to realize that and I hope it's a major reason for his lackluster impact right now. I'm not worried about it, I expect him to make much more of an impact as time goes on.

cocamide
09-14-2008, 11:16 PM
Stroud also got his hands on a few balls today. Oh wait, that didn't sound right.

Michael82
09-15-2008, 12:54 AM
Stroud also got his hands on a few balls today. Oh wait, that didn't sound right.
:rofl:

LifetimeBillsFan
09-15-2008, 01:49 AM
The Jaguars knew that Stroud was going to be amped up for this game and it seemed that they were determined to keep him from taking over and dominating the game for the Bills' defense.

I was very interested to see what Stroud would do against the Jags, so I paid perhaps more attention to how they were blocking him than I ordinarily would.

What I saw was that they were double-teaming him on almost every play that he was in. And, there were a couple of plays that I saw where he was actually hit by three Jax blockers, as the man blocking the DE "chipped" him with his inside shoulder while engaging the DE with his arms, pushing Stroud into the middle of the double-team.

I have to give the Jacksonville offensive linemen their due--in the sense that, for a group that had been hastily put together, they did the job of containing Stroud quite well on the whole during the game. But, at the same time, the fact that they did have to concentrate so much attention and effort in containing Stroud limited what they were able to do as a team to a certain extent.

No doubt about it, OP, Stroud is a factor who makes the others around him better and has to be accounted for by all of the Bills opponents this season. Take away the yardage gained by Garrard and Hasselback and the Bills have held the opposition's RBs to under 80 yards in these first two games (BTW: J.Jones got 124 yards today after less than 50 last week).

And, now that Kyle Williams isn't getting double-teamed all of the time, he is showing flashes of becoming a pretty decent DT. I'm beginning to think that K.Williams isn't starting because S.Johnson and McCargo aren't that good, but rather because, with Stroud taking the double-teams off of him, Williams actually can play the position going one-on-one.

EDS
09-15-2008, 08:13 AM

The Bills have needed someone like Stroud since the day Pat Williams left.

justasportsfan
09-15-2008, 08:15 AM
the other players get so excited about roaming free that they are over pursuing again.

jdbillsfan
09-15-2008, 09:15 AM
Good post.

There was a play Kelsay made in the back field where Stroud got double teamed and no one blocked Kelsay. That play never would have happened without Stroud.

madness
09-15-2008, 09:47 AM
Don't forget Poz.

That was a nasty hit. As Garrard was slow to get up, you could tell he wished he didn't have to take that one.

bigbub2352
09-15-2008, 09:58 AM
Strouds effectiviness will not always be on the sack sheet or the tackles, but will be on the pressures and tieing up other lineman to allow his teammates to make plays

He is gonna allow our LBers to make plays more often at the line of scrimmage as well cause he creates lanes for the LBers to step into and fill the cut back lanes something we didnt have last year