• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LifetimeBillsFan
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Aug 2004

Bills Should Consider Pats' Approach To Making Playoffs

I'm not sure if it was Matt Cassel or Kevin Faulk who said it in an interview on the field immediately after the Pats-Jets game, but, when asked how the Pats are approaching the rest of the season without Tom Brady, this is what the Pats' player said:

"We want to win all of the games that we should win and split the rest."

While we can argue about which games remaining on the Bills' schedule are games that the Bills should win, there are certainly a number that fall into that category. If the Bills can repeat what they did last season when they won all of the games that they played against teams that finished with a worse record than they did--in short, win all of the games that they should win--and get a split against the rest (something that they were not able to do last season when Washington was the only playoff team that they beat), they will be in a very good position to make the playoffs. And, perhaps even do some damage once they get there.

It won't be easy for the Bills to accomplish this, but these first two games of the season have shown that, if they can stay reasonably healthy, this team certainly has the capacity to achieve this goal.

What I, personally, like about this approach is that it gives value to every game played against inferior teams (if the goal is to win every game that the team should win, then every one of those games is important), while not conceding defeat in any of the "tougher" games (a team has to play hard and well in every one of these games in order to get a split overall because not every game will go their way). Every game is important and has a role in the overall scheme of trying to achieve the goal of getting to the playoffs.

The Bills are still a pretty young team and they can't afford to let up or concede any game this season. As Dick Jauron put it in his press conference after the game in Jacksonville, they "have a chance to be a decent team" this season! (Don't tell me that the guy doesn't have a sense of perspective after all of his years in the NFL--it's just that he hides it VERY well!) IMHO, taking an approach like this to the rest of the season certainly wouldn't hurt their efforts to reach that goal--even if it was originally enunciated by a Pats player.
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.
  • syracuse76
    Knowing is half the battle......
    • Aug 2008

Re: Bills Should Consider Pats' Approach To Making Playoffs

i say we just take the whole damn thing. we should win alot of the games on our schedule we should only lose maybe 3 or 4 tops
    2009 AFC East Division Champs 12-4
    POZ will lead us to the promise land
    "That which does not kill me,
    will only make me stronger"
    Nietzsche

Comment

• Captain gameboy
      • Jul 2002

I thought the comment was athlete speak.
      What's the other option?

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by gameboy
        What's the other option?
        Assuming you're going to beat the teams you should, losing a couple of those, and blowing the playoffs.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
          All-Pro Zoner
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by gameboy
          What's the other option?
          Under-estimating the teams you are supposed to beat and dropping an upset or two. Not thinking that you are good enough (or your QB isn't good enough) to beat the teams that might be considered better than yours and, as a result, being beaten before you even take the field and losing those games.
          Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
            • Mar 2004

I disagree with this approach. They should be trying to win every week, and shouldn't be satisfied with losing, EVER. The Patriots can say all they want to the press, you know damn well that Bellicheck is not in there saying "it's ok if we lose "

Comment

• feldspar
              • Mar 2007

I don't understand...are we supposed to pick and choose which games to win?

We should just believe that we can compete with anyone...that we can win every game. Of course we won't win every game, but I can't see a successful team approaching a game saying "this game falls under the possible 'split' category."

It's pretty simple: you just do your best to win every game and let the record take care of itself. There is no other possible way to approach it. Don't let anyone intimidate you.

Comment

Working...
              X