• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • northernbillfan
    Hello, I'm Mike and I'm a Bills fan.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Zone Original: Bryan Ault

Here we go again. It's the same tired old script that we've seen the last two years. The Bills are in a close game against a quality opponent. They get a small lead, become conservative on offense and go dormant. Meanwhile, the D spends too much time on the field and eventually gives up a big play. It comes down to either one last desperate attempt to score, or one last defensive stand for a team that does not respond well to pressure. Everything was exactly the same.

Except for the outcome.

The Bills went into a hostile environment against a tough defense in oppressive conditions. The offense- save for an excellent first drive- didn't play well. The D couldn't get off the field in the third quarter. Special teams were only "special" in the short bus sense.

OpIV's Post Game Review
    When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

• Captain gameboy
    • Jul 2002

Re: Zone Original: Bryan Ault

Being invisible can be good if you are a pass defender.

I'm intrigued by the fact that there are very few shots being taken at our safetys in the middle of the field.

Poz defended some shallow underneath stuff, but I cannot recall one play that our safetys had to defend over the middle.

Could they be pretty good?

Pretty safe be to suggest that Oakland will.
    Then we shall see.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
      Zero for Zero!
      • Mar 2003

To be fair though, neither team played so far has had good deep WR talent on the field.
      Originally posted by mysticsoto
      Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Captain gameboy
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
        To be fair though, neither team played so far has had good deep WR talent on the field.
        Allowing one completed pass on third down for the entire game, and that for a meaningless two yards, means someone invisible might be playing pretty well.

Comment

• Luisito23
          Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
          • Apr 2003

I always enjoy OP's articles, and post in general and this was no different, but I just have two things to ask you brother....How do we know Edwards is no Brady or Manning right now? This is only his 2nd. year in the league and 1st. year in a new offensive system...So far he has greatly exceeded expectations by pretty much everyone here and in the NFL...He has all the physical tools needed to turn out just as good as those two QBs you mentioned, I mean it's a pretty big goal no doubt, but to say what he will, or will not become right now is just inaccurate....Also you say that McKelvin is nothing special as a returner after what just one game? I wonder if people said the same thing about Parrish the first time he went to return a kick?....
          "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
          ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
          ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
          ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
            • Mar 2004

I thought the Offense played very well against one of the top D's in the NFL.

I agree, the D played well enough to win, but too many missed tackles. They need to fix that. How many times did they have Garrard tackled for a sack, only to have him escape? At least 5.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by gameboy
              Being invisible can be good if you are a pass defender.

I'm intrigued by the fact that there are very few shots being taken at our safetys in the middle of the field.

Poz defended some shallow underneath stuff, but I cannot recall one play that our safetys had to defend over the middle.

Could they be pretty good?

Pretty safe be to suggest that Oakland will.
              Then we shall see.
              Could they be pretty good? Maybe.

But a S drafted at #8 should be better than "pretty good". He should be an impact player and make big plays more than 2x a season (and 2x is being generous).
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                Zero for Zero!
                • Mar 2003

By the same token it is hard to make big plays when teams avoid you.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  By the same token it is hard to make big plays when teams avoid you.
                  at this point, I don't think we have enough information to know that teams are avoiding Whitner. I don't recall them challenging Simpson too much either. Both offenses we played were banged up and didn't take too many shots downfield. It's possible that they were avoiding Whitner. It's also possible that they just lack deep ball ability because of their injuries. None of us were on their sidelines so we can't make the assumption either way.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                    Zero for Zero!
                    • Mar 2003

I agree and made that point earlier.

Niether assumption should be made.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                      Too sober for this...
                      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37
                      at this point, I don't think we have enough information to know that teams are avoiding Whitner. I don't recall them challenging Simpson too much either. Both offenses we played were banged up and didn't take too many shots downfield. It's possible that they were avoiding Whitner. It's also possible that they just lack deep ball ability because of their injuries. None of us were on their sidelines so we can't make the assumption either way.
                      Try and remember also Op that the front four are now disruptive and Stroud collapses the pocket frequently, if the opposing QB takes too long to throw. As a result, they frequently only have time for short passes before Stroud is in their face. That's why Whitner is playing up so much and does not need to worry as much about a deep ball possibility. Stopping Jax's tandem (and Julius Jones/Maurice last week) is a testament to Stroud's cascading effect and Whitner has been playing up quite a bit in helping against the run. I think he made several good plays yesterday including the tackle against Drew-Jones as he took a hit.

Comment

• trapezeus
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Oct 2004

i liked it. now that you mentioned it, i did notice 99 running down some plays 5 ten yards down the field on the sideline. I didn't notice that the rotation was off in the 3rd to potentially give them time to breathe. I know you catch a lot of stuff that i don't pay attention to. Good stuff.

On Mckelvin, i'd say that he was nothing special on this particular sunday, but i think he'll look good. plus with the heat, you can't have Mcgee sprinting the length of the field and then try to return the kick.

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Luisito23
                          I always enjoy OP's articles, and post in general and this was no different, but I just have two things to ask you brother....How do we know Edwards is no Brady or Manning right now? This is only his 2nd. year in the league and 1st. year in a new offensive system...So far he has greatly exceeded expectations by pretty much everyone here and in the NFL...He has all the physical tools needed to turn out just as good as those two QBs you mentioned, I mean it's a pretty big goal no doubt, but to say what he will, or will not become right now is just inaccurate....Also you say that McKelvin is nothing special as a returner after what just one game? I wonder if people said the same thing about Parrish the first time he went to return a kick?....
                          Returning kicks really isn't that much different between college and pro. The pursuit gets there faster, but I just didn't see any difference in speed between McKelvin and the pursuit. When McGee or Parrish get in space, it's clear that they're a step above the competition. It's possible that McKelvin could get better but I don't see it yet.

As far as Edwards- I don't recall what happened to Manning but Brady was developed slowly as a back up. Trent was thrown to the wolves. I can't see a QB who's shellshocked from college and forced into action in the NFL developing the pocket presence of a Manning or a Brady. And even if he does, I can't see Buffalo running that style of offense (especially with our WR's and without a true receiving threat at TE).
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by northernbillfan
                            Here we go again. It's the same tired old script that we've seen the last two years. The Bills are in a close game against a quality opponent. They get a small lead, become conservative on offense and go dormant. Meanwhile, the D spends too much time on the field and eventually gives up a big play. It comes down to either one last desperate attempt to score, or one last defensive stand for a team that does not respond well to pressure. Everything was exactly the same.

Except for the outcome.

The Bills went into a hostile environment against a tough defense in oppressive conditions. The offense- save for an excellent first drive- didn't play well. The D couldn't get off the field in the third quarter. Special teams were only "special" in the short bus sense.

OpIV's Post Game Review
                            thanks for posting but I just noticed that my "looking forward/general comments" section got cut off on the home page
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Luisito23
                              Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                              • Apr 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
                              Returning kicks really isn't that much different between college and pro. The pursuit gets there faster, but I just didn't see any difference in speed between McKelvin and the pursuit. When McGee or Parrish get in space, it's clear that they're a step above the competition. It's possible that McKelvin could get better but I don't see it yet.

As far as Edwards- I don't recall what happened to Manning but Brady was developed slowly as a back up. Trent was thrown to the wolves. I can't see a QB who's shellshocked from college and forced into action in the NFL developing the pocket presence of a Manning or a Brady. And even if he does, I can't see Buffalo running that style of offense (especially with our WR's and without a true receiving threat at TE).

Cool OP...I really did enjoy your article bro....
                              "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                              ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                              ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                              ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

Working...
                              X