PDA

View Full Version : This team is mentally strong

historypete
09-15-2008, 10:52 AM
One thing that separates this team from the one in 2003 is mental toughness. Donahoe's teams might have had big name players and more swagger, but when it came to tight games we'd always end up losing them. I can't remember over the years we heard so many times "we have to learn how to win these games" referring to those 1,2 3 and 4 point losses we sustained.

Well, this team has learned to win those games, or so it seems right now. That was a huge win yesterday. Down by 6 in the 4th and then score the final 10 points. Any other Bills team in recent history would have collapsed.

I actually think some of this mental toughness comes from Jauron. I've bashed this guy up and down at times, and it wasn't usually undeserved, but he has a quiet confidence I guess that the other players have picked up on. Unlike Williams or Mularkey who used to go crazy at times, this guy stays calm and cool or barely alive I guess. But the fact is he's never soaring in his on the field emotions. A lot of this teams mental makeup though, comes from the past history. A not so talented team with tons of injuries sticking in games they didn't belong to be in. That builds not only team chemsitry but confidence.

Regardless of where this mental toughness comes from, it is clearly on display now. They don't seem to be fazed, they don't seem to panic. It is just deal with that particluar series, good or bad, and then come back out for a new one. It looks like these guys have the ability to do something special this year, but they have to keep it going this weekend by beating an Oakland team that is pretty bad. I don't want this team thinking it is greater than what it might be, like that 2003 team did. The difference is Jauron will keep them focused.

parrishlynchevans
09-15-2008, 11:58 AM
The biggest difference so far is 2nd half points. Look at last year compared to the top two teams in the AFC.

2nd Half Points 2007

IND: 214 (13.4 Points Per Game)
NE: 256 (16.0 Points Per Game)
BUF: 132 (8.3 Points Per Game)

2nd Half Points 2008

BUF: 24 (12 Points Per Game)

If the Bills keep up the pace in the 2nd half, they'll have a very good season and a very good chance in the postseason.

Mitchy moo
09-15-2008, 12:07 PM
NE's 2nd half #'s are a little skewed, they kept stabbing until the final bell last season. We stuck a fork in Seattle in game 1 & never pressed for more than a FG at the end of yesterdays game. We could of bumped our 2nd half numbers up easily in the first game. ML sat most of the 4th quarter during that first game as well, no reason to risk his health.

The biggest difference so far is 2nd half points. Look at last year compared to the top two teams in the AFC.

2nd Half Points 2007

IND: 214 (13.4 Points Per Game)
NE: 256 (16.0 Points Per Game)
BUF: 132 (8.3 Points Per Game)

2nd Half Points 2008

BUF: 24 (12 Points Per Game)

If the Bills keep up the pace in the 2nd half, they'll have a very good season and a very good chance in the postseason.

parrishlynchevans
09-15-2008, 12:10 PM
NE's 2nd half #'s are a little skewed, they kept stabbing until the final bell last season. We stuck a fork in Seattle in game 1 & never pressed for more than a FG at the end of yesterdays game. We could of bumped our 2nd half numbers up easily in the first game. ML sat most of the 4th quarter during that first game as well, no reason to risk his health.

True, but the difference between last years team and the top two teams were the 2nd half points. The fact that so far they've improved that number by 4 points per game is a good sign.

parrishlynchevans
09-22-2008, 01:08 PM
41 2nd Half Points through 3 weeks. That's 13.7 points per game.

justasportsfan
09-22-2008, 02:09 PM
we need to blow teams in the first half and give our back ups some playing time especially, McKelvin and Hardy in case we need them .....for..... the........ PLAYOFFS BABY!!!! :dance: