PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on the game

cocamide
09-15-2008, 11:57 AM
I usually don't post long threads, but here goes...

1. What a great way to start the game? Edwards was perfect on that first drive. We coudn't ask for anything better.

2. If it wouldn't have been for the block in the back penalty on Roscoe's first punt return we would've had great field position for our second drive. Those penalties are a killer.

3. Where's our kick return game? McGee has been held to next to nothing this season. I did see McKelvin return one, but he didn't do much either. Jacksonville has good special teams though, so hopefully next week will be different.

4. Fairchild is an idiot and didn't know how to use his players effectively. Why we rarely used Fred Jackson last year is beyond me. Schonert does a good job of knowing his players' strengths and weaknesses and used them effectively. Great playcalling and I loved the way Fred Jackson was used.

5. That pass to Hardy was about as beautiful as it gets. There is no defender in the league that could break up that pass. Either he gets the ball or nobody does. I can't wait for more of that throughout the season. I would like to see him get more involved outside of the redzone though.

6. Where was Robert Royal this game? Maybe Jacksonville saw tape of last week and decided to make sure he wasn't a factor. Does anyone know?

7. This was the first time in a long time where I was confident that our offense could go down and score a winning touchdown. I still felt that our defense would give up a fieldgoal in the last seconds of the game, but they held on and played well.

8. Youboty is playing great. We all know that.

9. Our tackling must get better. Luckily for us there's no mobile quarterback in our division. I'm not too scared of Favre's feet as there's no way he's as strong as Gerrard.

10. I worry about our run defense. However, we didn't give up any huge running plays like we did last year, so I'd say we have improved. We just need to tackle better.

11. This is the biggest win we've had in a long time. Just imagine what our thoughts would be if we had lost this game? "We can't win in the heat." "We can't beat a good team." "We can't stop the run." "Put in Losman." "Lynch is a bust." "Stroud is washed up." etc. etc. etc. For once, we found a way to win, and it feels damn good.

madness
09-15-2008, 01:11 PM
You pretty much answered you ST's question but I think Royal was invisible because he was pretty much blocking on the line most of the day. They were rotating the line to keep the guys fresh and using a lot of max protection to give Trent time against a very good defensive line.

cocamide
09-15-2008, 02:21 PM
You pretty much answered you ST's question but I think Royal was invisible because he was pretty much blocking on the line most of the day. They were rotating the line to keep the guys fresh and using a lot of max protection to give Trent time against a very good defensive line.

Thanks. It's tough to see things watching the game in a bar and having no audio. I'm real interested to see what we do next week. I wonder if we'll slowly move McKelvin to be the #1 KO return guy.

RockStar36
09-15-2008, 03:15 PM
I think McKelvin should be the main KR guy as of this week. Not for the fact that he was good in pre-season, but more for the fact that McGee is really proving himself as the #1 CB and an injury to him would really hurt the defense. Why risk it on KRs when someone else can effectively do the same job?

Pinkerton Security
09-15-2008, 03:19 PM
I think McKelvin should be the main KR guy as of this week. Not for the fact that he was good in pre-season, but more for the fact that McGee is really proving himself as the #1 CB and an injury to him would really hurt the defense. Why risk it on KRs when someone else can effectively do the same job?

I agree. He looked like he was trying way too hard against Jax, as he got the ball and hesitated way too much when he got to around the 15, looking for holes. He'll be fine because he has a natural instinct, but I think he just needs to not overthink it and run with the ball!

shelby
09-15-2008, 03:21 PM
Great post, thanks!
i agree that McKelvin should be our KR.