View Full Version : Game Thoughts, from Bills Backers in NYC

patmoran2006
09-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Two topics:
First, I watched the game in NYC at a bar called McFaddens (Thanks Ring for the tip on the place). It is the Bills "headquarters" in NYC for Bills Backers, and I gotta tell you; it was one of if not the most fun I've EVER had watching a Bills game. It was the next best thing to being at the game, and that includes any viewing place in Buffalo itself. They have a great deal; $20 gets you five hours of drinking AND Chicken Wings; which for NYC is pretty f'n remarkable. Between the bar and their sister bar next store (Carlito Jacks I think) there were well over 300 Bills fans watching the game. (I can't believe Buffalo doesn't have this kind of thing at more bars for people who don't/can't go to the game). The crowd and the atmosphere was utterly AMAZING.

I met a ton of former Buffalo'lonians living in NYC. They were great. It was as enthusiastic of a bar crowd as I"ve ever seen. Maybe fans in Buffalo have a tendency to take the games for granted or something; this was a whole different atmosphere. Celebrations after big plays were wild; their was a DJ playing "get fired up" music between commercials. When the Bills won, bartenders were going up and down the bar pouring shots of Jack and Tequilla among other things down patrons throats. Just a total great time and if anyone here ever travels to NYC during a Bills game I HIGHLY recommend going to McFaddens. I'm so glad me and my contigent didn't go to ESPN ZONE.

ONto some quick thoughts about the game; I didnt take notes (obviously) and have barely seen any stats.

* Trent Edwards is REAL.. His poise is really starting to show. I'm sick of the Trent/JP threads myself, but no way we win this game without Edwards on Sunday.

* As much as I love STroud and Mitchell, the biggest move we've made this offsesaon was promoting Turk. He's been close to perfect two games counting.

* As soon as Groves blew by Peters for the sack that caused the fumble, the Peters haters here were the first thing i thought of. I paid extra attention to Peters all day; and considering the lack of practice time I thought he played very well. I'm excited to see how he looks as the season goes on, I still think he's as good as it gets at OT in the NFL.

* Ashton Youboty is really making noise. You have to consider him the surprise of this team so far this year.

* Why would any team seriously punt to Parrish.. You're asking for trouble.

* Donte Whitner is starting to win me over.

* Poz is always around the ball. He'll finish in the Top 10 in tackles.

* Only been 2 games, and this is NO KNOCK on Aaron Schobel, but Chris Kelsay is outplaying him.

* What a great weapon Fred Jackson is turning out to be.

* Like him or not, Dick Jauron has this team VERY confident, they're playing with chemistry, and you must credit Jauron big time for that.

* My unsung Bill of the year through two games; Kyle Williams.

I have three negatives right now, two of which have to do with the field..

1- Our defense gets to the ball, but I think the tackling at times has been VERY poor. We've had multiple sacks go by the wayside and runs stuffed at the line turn into decent games because we've missed far too many tackles.

2- I do NOT like the way the interior of our OL is run blocking.. again. They're getting beat at the line far too much.. Our running game looks too much like last years. Fowler, Butler and Dockery are struggling big time in run blocking.

3- What in God's name does Lee Evans need to do to get a contract extension NOW? He's playing himself into a monster deal we can't afford or won't pay, and that's pathetic. THe guy has done everything right; he came to camp, didn't hold out, hasn't dissed the F.O., said all the right things and most importantly, is showing how valuable he is on the field. WHat in the hell is with the delay; pay the guy!!!!!!!!!

Captain gameboy
09-15-2008, 12:28 PM
Agree with all.

First contact in our running game is almost always at the line or slightly on our side of it.

On tackling, getting there is only half of it. The DB's are getting it done.
The D line and linebackers are not.

Got to love the pass protection on three and four wide sets, allowing us to float RBs into the passing game.

How long has it been since we said that?

Dr. Lecter
09-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Can I add an unsung hero?

Keith Ellison. Not so much for his great play, but 2 games and I have not once said "Ellison messed that up". For a back-up (now a fulltime starter) I am happy with that.

Albany,n.y.
09-15-2008, 12:32 PM
Ralph will pay Lee Evans. He just won't give big $ to guys he doesn't think are worth it (see McGahee, Willis)

gr8slayer
09-15-2008, 12:35 PM

Keith Ellison. Not so much for his great play, but 2 games and I have not once said "Ellison messed that up". For a back-up (now a fulltime starter) I am happy with that.
Good point, he has really stepped up and obviously improved ten fold since his rookie year when he was thrown to the wolves.

Ebenezer
09-15-2008, 12:42 PM
3- What in God's name does Lee Evans need to do to get a contract extension NOW? He's playing himself into a monster deal we can't afford or won't pay, and that's pathetic. THe guy has done everything right; he came to camp, didn't hold out, hasn't dissed the F.O., said all the right things and most importantly, is showing how valuable he is on the field. WHat in the hell is with the delay; pay the guy!!!!!!!!!

As I always say...it takes two to tango. We have no clue what he is asking for.

Sportsuser101
09-15-2008, 12:42 PM
Where is McFaddens? I live in Jersey City which is right across the way so i need to make my way over there.

RingofFire
09-15-2008, 12:54 PM
I'll be at McFaddens this sunday. Glad you had fun.

trapezeus
09-15-2008, 01:04 PM
agree with all but evans.

is he really playing at a high level or playing the way a #1 should. he was invisible until the 4th Q 3rd down conversion. That being said, i hope we can sign him. but i remain skeptical of tying up legit top 5 WR money on Evans.

RockStar36
09-15-2008, 01:04 PM
Isn't that where the poster formerly known as BF1 always goes?

raphael120
09-15-2008, 01:08 PM

Very good point. These past two games, I've totally forgotten that we're missing Crowell. So while he's not making huge impact plays, he's not royally messing up I guess.

EDS
09-15-2008, 01:36 PM
Where is McFaddens? I live in Jersey City which is right across the way so i need to make my way over there.

42nd and 2nd

SquishDaFish
09-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Great post Pat :clap: Agree with everything

RingofFire
09-15-2008, 02:12 PM
Isn't that where the poster formerly known as BF1 always goes?

Yup he runs the bar. Well he runs the bills backers of ny being in that bar. nice bar.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j7xxrz-TmvQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j7xxrz-TmvQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

patmoran2006
09-15-2008, 03:48 PM
The bar was awesome it was one of the best times I've ever had.. And you can never beat that price either.

But if you want ANY shot at a bar seat or a booth, you better get there by 10am.

We lucked out.. We didnt get there til 11, but a few people from one booth consolidated with friends at another, and we got our own booth. Worked out great.

Amazing how many Bills fans in NYC there are, oh and one of the bartenders is hot as hell.

yordad
09-15-2008, 03:51 PM

Keith Ellison. Not so much for his great play, but 2 games and I have not once said "Ellison messed that up". For a back-up (now a fulltime starter) I am happy with that.I prefere he actually did something good, other then not doing much bad.

YardRat
09-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Replace Fowler and watch how much better the interior line blocking gets.

patmoran2006
09-15-2008, 03:58 PM
Yup he runs the bar. Well he runs the bills backers of ny being in that bar. nice bar.

<OBJECT height=344 width=425>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j7xxrz-TmvQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></OBJECT></P>that clip was cool.. Maybe it was because there is a sense in the air this team is going to contend for the playoffs, but this past Sunday the crowd and the energy was even far bigger than that video demonstrated..

patmoran2006
09-15-2008, 04:08 PM
BTW,
I was letting Jets fans have it all over Penn STation last night..

J-E-T-S
Bills bills Bills!