PDA

View Full Version : Pat Kirwan's week 2 Unsung Heroes

Coach Sal
09-15-2008, 03:17 PM
1. Josh McDaniels
Defensive coordinator, New England Patriots
What needs to be said about a young coordinator who loses Tom Brady in Week 1 and has the offense working well enough to win in Week 2 with a young QB making his first NFL start? Cassel looked well coached, the offensive game plan was effective and realistic, the Pats were 6 of 14 on third downs and won the time of possession battle against the Jets. There were no cries for a more experienced QB to be in there. McDaniels deserves much of the credit for the divisional road win.

2. Turk Schonert
Offensive coordinator, Buffalo Bills
The Bills are 2-0, and have scored 54 points with second-year QB Trent Edwards, who connected on 20 of 25 passes against the Jaguars defense while hitting eight different receivers. Schnonert was with me as a player at the Jets and he has a creative mind. He is building a solid reputation as a play-caller.

3. Jeff Davidson
Offensive coordinator, Carolina Panthers
Davidson has coordinated an offense that has beaten the Chargers on the road and the Bears at home without the services of its best player, Steve Smith. The numbers weren't pretty in Sunday's win, but the Panthers' offense battled back to win with a strong running game after being down 17-6 in the third quarter. Next week, the 2-0 Panthers get Smith back!

4. Lane Kiffin
Head coach, Oakland Raiders
Rarely do I praise a head coach in the Unsung Heroes segment, but I feel compelled to do so this week. Kiffin is the 33-year-old head coach of the Raiders who entered the road game against division-rival Kansas City with all the rumors about him being fired after the game, win or lose. There's enough pressure on every coach in the NFL without that added burden in Week 2 of the season. The Raiders won the game, they rushed for 300 yards, and converted 6 of 14 third downs. A rookie running back, practically a rookie quarterback, a left tackle who never played a down in the NFL, a beat-up receiver group and a 23-8 victory. Fire the coach?

www.NFL.com

shelby
09-15-2008, 03:19 PM
Nice find Coach! i'm glad to see Turk is getting the recognition he deserves.

yordad
09-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Nice find Coach! i'm glad to see Turk is getting the recognition he deserves.I'm not. I don't want everyone else recognizing our guy!

Back off NFL!