PDA

View Full Version : Big Reason Why National Media Disses Buffalo

parrishlynchevans
09-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Dufus Colin Cowherd:

(After receiving an email from a Buffalo fan asking to talk more Bills)

Colin: Yeah, I got people out in L.A. falling asleep (over Bills talk). The Bills fan thinks he is owed talk about his team.

This guy does a talk show on ESPN Radio during the week in the mid-morning. Now you know why people don't talk about Buffalo. Dallas does well, orgasm fest. New England/Indianapolis does well, orgasm fest. Buffalo does well, we have to worry about the people out in L.A. The guy is a complete dufus. He thinks everything is like a stripper. He's stale.

Pinkerton Security
09-15-2008, 03:45 PM
I dont care. I dont want them talking us up, and I also dont want to be the gay-a** Patriots and thier Rodney Dangerfield shtick. The Bills dont need respect, they just need to win.

cocamide
09-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Unfortunately, I kind of agree with the d-bag. Would we care to hear about the Titans or Cardinals? Probably not. Do you get excited when people start to talk about the Tampa Bay Rays? They're one of the best teams in baseball, and even people in the Tampa/St. Pete area don't care about them!

Relatively speaking, few people care about those teams and the media has to keep their ratings up so they can get advertisement money. It sucks, but that's the way it is.

bigbub2352
09-15-2008, 03:50 PM
The national media is always gonne be about the big markets who do u think pays there salaries thru corporate sponsors, not enough people in buffalo to justify being talked about, but u got LA, Dallas, Philly NE, huge markets and more people to advertise too that is all it is

parrishlynchevans
09-15-2008, 03:54 PM
It's hypocritical that all of a sudden they're so god damn worried about the L.A. audience when it comes to the Bills. Do you think people in L.A. care that much about New England? Not really. What will they do if Buffalo goes deep into the playoffs? Are they going to ignore football talk because they're worried about the precious L.A. crowd?

Bravo82
09-15-2008, 03:55 PM
cowherd is a major league tool :mad:

THATHURMANATOR
09-15-2008, 03:56 PM
He needs ratings. Why would he cater to a small market like Buffalo when he needs ratings from LA? Can't blame the guy

parrishlynchevans
09-15-2008, 03:58 PM
He needs ratings. Why would he cater to a small market like Buffalo when he needs ratings from LA? Can't blame the guy

The question is, will he use that excuse if the Bills go deep into the playoffs?

patmoran2006
09-15-2008, 04:00 PM
I agree on your premise, but disagree about Colin specifically.

He's actually one of the few that speaks highly of Buffalo, and for whatever reason he's a big Jauron fan. I listen to him almost daily (not by choice but he's grown on me a tad) at work. He's a Bills fan.

And jim Rome is a huge Trent Edwards guy, he loves him.

patmoran2006
09-15-2008, 04:01 PM
Also, Colin called Cleveland before the season started the most overated team in the league, and he looks pretty good after two weeks.

Granted, the Browns played two real tough teams to start the year (Dallas, Pitt)-- but they were home games, and playoff teams must beat good teams at home; something the Bills up to this point haven't been able to do either.

gr8slayer
09-15-2008, 04:03 PM
We don't deserve any national credibility yet. Besides, who cares?

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
09-15-2008, 04:03 PM
Love him or hate him.......he understands mainstream media....and the facts are that Sexy sells and the Bills are not sexy.

I couldn't care less. I know what I am seeing.....a good product, with very little comprimise, on the field for the first time in a long time.

That's enough for me.

parrishlynchevans
09-15-2008, 04:05 PM
I agree on your premise, but disagree about Colin specifically.

He's actually one of the few that speaks highly of Buffalo, and for whatever reason he's a big Jauron fan. I listen to him almost daily (not by choice but he's grown on me a tad) at work. He's a Bills fan.

And jim Rome is a huge Trent Edwards guy, he loves him.

Colin Cowherd is an idiot. His analogies are head scratching. He is the prototypical ESPN Radio guy though. He's like Michael Kay.

I just don't get it. They can obsess over the Jets and Favre. They can obsess over New England and Indianapolis, but if Buffalo somehow has an identical record with New England, it's hands off. We can't put those L.A. people to sleep cause we all know L.A. is known for their rabid fanbase.

THATHURMANATOR
09-15-2008, 04:05 PM
The question is, will he use that excuse if the Bills go deep into the playoffs?
No because I am sure he will talk Bills football if it is relevant. The bills have sucked for years now. Why would he talk about them?

parrishlynchevans
09-15-2008, 04:07 PM
Love him or hate him.......he understands mainstream media....and the facts are that Sexy sells and the Bills are not sexy.

I couldn't care less. I know what I am seeing.....a good product, with very little comprimise, on the field for the first time in a long time.

That's enough for me.

The mainstream media is SUPPOSE to cover the playoff contenders. Maybe they'll get talked about more if they go 4-0 or 3-1.

Mr. Pink
Simple solution...

Don't listen to Colin.

It's really as easy as that. At this stage people outside of Buffalo who are not Bill fans couldn't care less about us. Why? It's week 2!

Now come January and we're in the playoffs of course we'll be talked about...why? Because it's the NFL.

Now every team is still in it...January a few teams are in it.

Do you get it now?

This is not hard to figure out, really.

patmoran2006
Colin Cowherd is an idiot. His analogies are head scratching. He is the prototypical ESPN Radio guy though. He's like Michael Kay.

I just don't get it. They can obsess over the Jets and Favre. They can obsess over New England and Indianapolis, but if Buffalo somehow has an identical record with New England, it's hands off. We can't put those L.A. people to sleep cause we all know L.A. is known for their rabid fanbase.
Like I said, I dont disagree with your premise about the national media in general.

But I"m telling you first-hand that Colin actually likes the Bills, he's a big Jauron guy and he's a big WHitner guy.

AG75
09-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Who cares about the size of the market of a city a good team is from? Seriously, if the team is a threat and has potential to go far than I think they should be talked about. I am not trying to be presumptuous BUT if the Bills keep winning, then I would think at some point they would have to acknowledge them. L.A. does not even have a team anymore so I find it hard to believe they are all that wrapped up in football anyway. They weren't even that invested when they had the Rams and Raiders. Puhlease.

parrishlynchevans
09-15-2008, 04:08 PM
No because I am sure he will talk Bills football if it is relevant. The bills have sucked for years now. Why would he talk about them?

Because despite it only being two games, the Bills are 2-0 and are actually playing like a playoff team. Only real contenders comeback in the 4th to win the game.

Mr. Pink
09-15-2008, 04:10 PM
Really only good teams comeback in the 4th to win?

I guess the 49ers are a good team now! :rofl:

Bills - 49ers SB! They came back in the 4th quarter in week 2!

parrishlynchevans
09-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Simple solution...

Don't listen to Colin.

It's really as easy as that. At this stage people outside of Buffalo who are not Bill fans couldn't care less about us. Why? It's week 2!

Now come January and we're in the playoffs of course we'll be talked about...why? Because it's the NFL.

Now every team is still in it...January a few teams are in it.

Do you get it now?

This is not hard to figure out, really.

Oh, I see. Well you know I've seen plenty of other NFL teams start off 4-1 or 5-0 and they got talked about nonstop. I have a feeling if Buffalo goes into the bye 4-1 or 5-0 the national media will be apathetic about it and talk about the 1-4 Jets or something.

parrishlynchevans
09-15-2008, 04:14 PM
Really only good teams comeback in the 4th to win?

I guess the 49ers are a good team now! :rofl:

Bills - 49ers SB! They came back in the 4th quarter in week 2!

How many terrible teams comeback to win after trailing in the 4th quarter?

Mr. Pink
09-15-2008, 04:15 PM
The Media talks about teams that keeps people interested and oddly enough sells advertising.

Who's gonna bring more advertising dollars, which is mainly the only income radio stations get for the most part, the Buffalo market even if we're 4-0....or the NY market even if they're 1-3 with Brett Favre?

You should know better by now, national media talks about whichever fanbase will pay their expenses best. If you don't like Colin, Rome, Todd Wright, Dan Patrick, Cris Collinsworth, etc... don't listen to them.

Mr. Miyagi
09-15-2008, 04:16 PM
I don't care if ESPN radio doesn't talk about the Bills. They have big market asses to kiss so let them do their job. It's a business that's all.

Mr. Pink
09-15-2008, 04:17 PM
How many terrible teams comeback to win after trailing in the 4th quarter?

Washington came back to win last week too...and they looked absolutely abyssmal in week 1 vs the Giants.

You don't have to be a good team to come back and win a game.

parrishlynchevans
09-15-2008, 04:18 PM
The Media talks about teams that keeps people interested and oddly enough sells advertising.

Who's gonna bring more advertising dollars, which is mainly the only income radio stations get for the most part, the Buffalo market even if we're 4-0....or the NY market even if they're 1-3 with Brett Favre?

You should know better by now, national media talks about whichever fanbase will pay their expenses best. If you don't like Colin, Rome, Todd Wright, Dan Patrick, Cris Collinsworth, etc... don't listen to them.

That's the problem, they should talk about the contenders, whoever that may be. Not ass kissing a 1-5 team that no one would give two ****s about if NY wasn't on the logo.

parrishlynchevans
09-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Washington came back to win last week too...and they looked absolutely abyssmal in week 1 vs the Giants.

You don't have to be a good team to come back and win a game.

I mean win multiple times when trailing in the 4th. Even the best teams trail in the 4th a few times during the season and manage to win 3 or 4 of those.

Mr. Pink
09-15-2008, 04:20 PM
That's the problem, they should talk about the contenders, whoever that may be. Not ass kissing a 1-5 team that no one would give two ****s about if NY wasn't on the logo.

They talk about whoever bring them the best ratings, because it sells more advertising dollars. As Miyagi said it's a business.

THATHURMANATOR
09-15-2008, 04:27 PM
They talk about whoever bring them the best ratings, because it sells more advertising dollars. As Miyagi said it's a business.
How don't people understand this simple point?

parrishlynchevans
09-15-2008, 04:34 PM

I understand it, but it needs to be flexible as well. If all the top markets sucked ass one year, and all the contenders were small market teams, are they going to talk nonstop about the big market teams? It just wouldn't make any sense.

Mr. Miyagi
09-15-2008, 04:53 PM
Well if a local Buffalo radio station doesn't talk about the Bills, we'll have a problem.

National media, meh.

Mr. Miyagi
09-15-2008, 04:54 PM
I understand it, but it needs to be flexible as well. If all the top markets sucked ass one year, and all the contenders were small market teams, are they going to talk nonstop about the big market teams? It just wouldn't make any sense.
You mean like the year St. Louis and Tennessee were in the SB?

Did they talk a lot of baseball that year?

parrishlynchevans
09-15-2008, 05:07 PM
You mean like the year St. Louis and Tennessee were in the SB?

Did they talk a lot of baseball that year?

I don't remember. Did they?

THATHURMANATOR
09-16-2008, 11:49 AM
They get ratings or no longer have a show. It is NOT flexible and can't be.

BAM
09-16-2008, 11:55 AM
That's funny because just this morning he mentioned that he's been on the Bills bandwagon for the past 7 months just before going to Jeremy White from WGR for an around-the-league update.

Wally The Barber
09-16-2008, 12:08 PM
I prefer the NATIONAL MEDIA keep Buffalo out of the spotlight!

Cover Soccer and ladies tennis and leave us alone

Note for ESPN......its Trent Edwards...not Trett Edwards!

Captain gameboy
09-16-2008, 01:02 PM

Absolutely, and Cowherd is a classic example.
He was hired to boost ESPN's west coast ratings, and for no other reason.

That is the main reason he is all over USC every day.

Whether or not he's a Bills fan depends on when you listen to him.
Last year, in one of his grossly over the top monologues, he excoriated the Bills, and specifically Marv Levy, claiming he was incapable of GM'ing the team.
Ugly, nasty stuff.

This year he's been more reasonable.

But....The day he went on and on and on about how screwed up he was because of adhd and his medication, (which he admitted he was not taking that day), was more than I could take.
It was bizarre. I thought there was going to be an intervention before he finished his first half hour.
I think he's borderline schizo.

I just cannot stand listening to Dan Patrick, and that's the competition in the syndicated world of morning sports radio.

ServoBillieves
09-16-2008, 01:28 PM
Also, Colin called Cleveland before the season started the most overated team in the league, and he looks pretty good after two weeks.

Granted, the Browns played two real tough teams to start the year (Dallas, Pitt)-- but they were home games, and playoff teams must beat good teams at home; something the Bills up to this point haven't been able to do either.

Weren't the Seahawks in the playoffs the past few years?

And we beat Jacksonville IN Jacksonville. I would take that over beating them at home any day. (Well, I take any win.)

I usually agree with your posts but that logic seems... eh. Unless I'm misreading. If I am I apologize for the call out.

justasportsfan
09-16-2008, 01:29 PM
we have to shove the bills down ntional media's throats and the only way to do that is keep winning.

BlackMetalNinja
09-16-2008, 02:51 PM
Why the hell does everybody get so bent out of shape about what the national media thinks of us??? You're fans of this team, you obviously follow them and know what's going on, what more matters? You clearly don't need national media telling you what to think, and as for non-Bills fans... let them be surprised if/when we start playing really well.

Ed
09-16-2008, 06:04 PM
That's funny because just this morning he mentioned that he's been on the Bills bandwagon for the past 7 months just before going to Jeremy White from WGR for an around-the-league update.
Yeah, I listened this morning too and thought of this thread because Buffalo was at the top of his list for his spanning the globe segment. He didn't say anything negative either.

Also, later around lunch ESPN Radio was discussing the NFL again, I don't know who it was, but they were talking about which 2-0 teams aren't legit and one of the hosts was like "Don't even think about mentioning the Buffalo Bills..."

Anyway, so far this season I've only heard a lot of positive stuff about the Bills and I don't feel like they've been getting that much less attention then anyone else. There's just not a whole lot to discuss until they actually play more games and keep winning. Believe me, if we're 5-0 heading into our bye week we'll be getting plenty of attention.

Remember when the Rams blew up in 99 and won the SB behind some guy named Kurt Warner? No one was talking about the Rams before that season or even after week 2.

Who cares if the media doesn't want to discuss us anyway. It doesn't make the wins any less enjoyable.

patmoran2006
09-16-2008, 06:45 PM
I told you.

Colin has been loving the Bills since last winter.

VeggieMan14
09-16-2008, 06:46 PM
to tell you the truth i couldn't really give a rats ass about the media dissing the bills

PromoTheRobot
09-16-2008, 07:33 PM
Buffalo: small market team with no sexy names. That's why no one talks about us. But if you stop and think about it, only 4-5 teams get any regular play in the national media. How often do people talk about Carolina, New Orleans, KC, Arizona, etc. Buffalo may actually get more notice than some.

PTR

parrishlynchevans
09-22-2008, 01:04 PM
Anyway, so far this season I've only heard a lot of positive stuff about the Bills and I don't feel like they've been getting that much less attention then anyone else. There's just not a whole lot to discuss until they actually play more games and keep winning. Believe me, if we're 5-0 heading into our bye week we'll be getting plenty of attention.

I think you're right. If they head into their bye week 5-0 or 4-1 they'll be talked about.