PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't Parrish an effective WR?

Oaf
09-16-2008, 12:35 AM
After watching the likes of undersized WRs Hester, Royal, and DeSean Jackson shred defenses with their speed and quickness, it gets me to wondering why can't Parrish be the same? Surely he can be a top route runner in the NFL with the movements only he is able to pull off (as shown in the return game) and he's got the speed to burn nearly any CB in the game. So why aren't we sending him on go routes past safeties or cut-on-dime post corners? We know he's got the hands and he isn't consistent against the jam, but what seperates him from being as effective as the above guys?

BADTHINGSMAN
09-16-2008, 01:33 AM
Game planning. :idunno:

RingofFire
09-16-2008, 01:37 AM
he's actually smaller than all 3

Oaf
09-16-2008, 01:42 AM
That's it, I'm emailing this to CB.

Meathead
09-16-2008, 02:32 AM
its not that hes not effective as a receiver, its that the bills dont want to wear him out by getting him too many plays in the offense so it appears like hes not making enough plays

think about some of the really nice catches and yac plays he made last season. hes been a little quiet so far this year, but thats just an anomaly, he will get his catches. but hes never going to be a consistent regular in the WR rotation because hes too valuable as a returner

the bills have come right out and said this so it really doesnt take much conjecture. its just that it hasnt been published much

LifetimeBillsFan
09-16-2008, 02:37 AM
Actually, one of Edwards' incompletions on Sunday was on a deep route for Parrish in the first half: Edwards rolled to his right as Parrish went deep along the right sideline; Edwards effectively threw the ball away because, while Parrish had gotten behind the defender, there wasn't enough separation for Edwards to be able to loft the ball over the defender where Parrish could catch the ball in-bounds. Rather than throw the ball over Parrish's inside shoulder, where the defender could deflect it or, worse, pick it off, Edwards threw it to the outside where the defender didn't have a chance to get to it, but it ended up being too far out of bounds for Parrish to get it also.

Still, you've asked a good question.

I think that the reason that Parrish hasn't been effective as a WR is that they are so afraid of him getting hurt if they use him on certain routes and so enamoured of his potential to make yards after the catch that they have him running a limited number of routes.

You can argue that this hurts the team a lot on offense and make a pretty good case for that. But, given the fact that Parrish has had a history of getting hurt and the fact that Parrish is so explosive and valuable as a punt return man, the desire to protect him from getting hurt on offense is also understandable as well.

I don't know. Having seen Parrish come back and play well after taking one of the biggest hits that I have ever seen anyone get hit by when he was in college, I can't help thinking that the Bills should be able to use Parrish more creatively as a receiver than they have. But, knowing how dangerous a weapon he is and can be for the Bills as a returner, I can see where they would not want to risk losing that kind of weapon on special teams (his PR against Jax in the 4th quarter was nearly as big as his TD return against Seattle). So, I have mixed feelings about this.

But, I do think that they need to use him on more than just bubble screens where everyone on the defense seems to know what the play is. Talk about taking a risk that he might get hurt!

syracuse76
09-16-2008, 02:38 AM
cause he is 2'4"

Meathead
09-16-2008, 02:40 AM
i just said that in a quarter of the words

lol

Luisito23
09-16-2008, 03:15 AM
Good post LTBF...Agreed 100%...