PDA

View Full Version : Running back combination creates a slew of problems for opposition

shelby
09-16-2008, 06:05 AM
We heard from the Buffalo Bills’ coaches that they planned to get running backs Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson more involved in the offense. We just didn’t know to what extent.
We do now.
Lynch and Jackson were used extensively and in a variety of ways during the Bills’ 20-16 win over the Jacksonville Jaguars.
Either Lynch or Jackson were involved in 33 of the Bills’ 51 offensive plays and accounted for 167 of the team’s 285 net yards. Lynch led the way in rushing with 59 yards, while Jackson had team highs in catches (seven) and receiving yards (83).
The most interesting aspect of the Bills’ game plan was using Lynch and Jackson together. There were 10 plays in which both of were on the field at the same time.
The package was rarely identical, giving the unsuspecting Jaguars different looks to deal with.
Whenever the Bills split Jackson out wide or in the slot, a linebacker usually moved over to account for him. What that did was leave one less defender in the box for the Bills to block, which meant more running room for Lynch.
It also gave the Bills the advantage in passing situations, as the Jaguars’ linebackers could not cover the shifty Jackson.
“We have a lot of weapons on this team and we try to use all of them,” Jackson said. “That’s something Turk [Schonert, the Bills’ offensive coordinator] wants to take advantage of. Trent [Edwards] spread the ball out well. He stood in the pocket and had a lot of poise.”

more... (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/440369.html)

Mitchy moo
09-16-2008, 06:14 AM
Unlike last year when my 8 year old son could call the next play, you need a RIT degree to just stratch the surface of knowing the next play. Turk is changing it up and the formations are different, which in my mind is awesome.

shelby
09-16-2008, 06:21 AM
The Lynch/Jackson combo is amazing....i love it!