PDA

View Full Version : Was the Hardy TD a stoppable play defensively??

Mitchy moo
09-16-2008, 09:08 AM
This may seem like a silly question but Hardy caught the ball quite high and came down with it in the corner. How tall of a defender do you need to stop this play or is this one of those we're pretty much going to score type plays?

Bulldog
09-16-2008, 09:11 AM
I think the only thing that stops that play is a bad throw from Edwards. Maybe rolling a safety over the top, but even then I don't know if that would have worked either.

Jaybird
09-16-2008, 09:12 AM
the pass was perfect, put it in a place where only the Wr could get it

The Spaz
09-16-2008, 09:12 AM
What would have stopped it is if the DB would have shoved him out of bounds. As far as him catching it though I don't think any db would have been able to get up that high.

gr8slayer
09-16-2008, 09:14 AM
That looked like someone blew their assignment.

justasportsfan
09-16-2008, 09:18 AM
This may seem like a silly question but Hardy caught the ball quite high and came down with it in the corner. How tall of a defender do you need to stop this play or is this one of those we're pretty much going to score type plays?
that kind of TD can be stopped this season. All the defender has to do is push HArdy out of bounds which they changed the rule on this season. The wr's this season should start reaching/ jumping a little bit more inside in case he gets pushed.

bigbub2352
09-16-2008, 09:22 AM
The only way to stop it is to interfere with the WR< or push him out of bounds, if he finds himself open and doesnt have to jump much it is unstoppable and that is the benefit of having a monster WR

Mitchy moo
09-16-2008, 09:24 AM
that kind of TD can be stopped this season. All the defender has to do is push HArdy out of bounds which they changed the rule on this season. The wr's this season should start his jump a little but more inside in case he gets pushed.

Well the key in that instance is the timing of the defender hitting the player catching it, too early and it's a penalty.

BuffRanger
09-16-2008, 09:27 AM
It was easily defensible. Corner should have forgotten about the ball and just focused on pushing him out of bounds. Hopefully the Bills corners learn something from it.

trapezeus
09-16-2008, 09:31 AM
but the problem with focusing on pushing him out of bounds is that you need to man up on that throw. and if you do, you'll leave a gapping hole else where for a slot receiver/TE to sit low in the endzone or a RB from the screen to walk in.

I agree that pushing him out of bounds can stop it, but it has to be tight coverage. Hardy walked behind the zone. in a multiple receiver set, someone is going to be left open.

cocamide
09-16-2008, 09:32 AM
Because five times just wasn't enough... The corner can just push him out of bounds.

Pinkerton Security
09-16-2008, 09:32 AM
That looked like someone blew their assignment.

ya, kinda did. I think if someone perfectly timed their jump, they might be able to get their hand in their, but if Edwards throws that pass perfectly and Hardy can get his hands on it, I dont think many corners in the league are gonna be able to get up high enough to bat that away.

Captain gameboy
09-16-2008, 09:42 AM
I believe that if we get into that situation again, Hardy is going to jammed at the line to take him away.
The others should be open though.

Given the camp reports about his difficulty getting out of jams, I'm surprised they didn't try it Sunday.

Meathead
09-16-2008, 10:43 AM
if you watch that play the defender covering hardy tried to shove his hand in between hardys body and his hands to knock the ball away while hardy was still in the air. that means he was close enough to shove him out of bounds and if he had focused on that instead of trying to dislodge the ball he would have easily made hardy land with at least one foot oob

you watch as the season progresses defending that play by shoving will become more and more common and hardy/edwards are going to have to figure out how to avoid it. maybe hardy doesnt jump as high forcing the defender to choose between a failed shove oob or going for a deflection

frankly i dont like this new rule because it seems like its going to be too easy to just shove guys oob. then theres the whole judgment call by the refs when a receiver ends up getting carried oob to some degree. i know the nfl probably changed the rule to avoid putting refs in a position where they have to make a game deciding judgment on shoves oob, but they will still end up with the refs having to make a judgment call in some situations anyway, though probably not as many

Akhippo
09-16-2008, 11:45 AM
The NFL im sure is quite aware of the extent that the rule change will be carried out. If the DB can get under the WR and carry them out of bounds im sure it will not be looked down upon.

The DB was def. close enough to shove him out of bounds and should have. Our DBs need to learn that technique because it will save at least 3 touchdowns this year.

ServoBillieves
09-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Everyone beat me to it. It's the push out. If he has control and gets lit up, but both feet aren't in bounds, it's incomplete. BUT, the referees were told to be much tougher on sideline plays for pass interference calls this year on both sides, hence the Marshawn Lynch OPI call.

Meathead
09-16-2008, 02:54 PM
actually the nfl has already announced they wont allow carrying oob, but at what point does a shove turn into a carry. thats where the judgment call still comes in

Goobylal
09-16-2008, 04:29 PM
The answer to a DB pushing him OOB is to have Edwards and Hardy work on throwing to a spot in the endzone sufficently far enough away from the side and back lines, so that even a good shove won't force him out. There's no need for Hardy to be in the exact corner of the endzone. The play is solely about throwing the ball high, where a DB cannot defense it, and Hardy catching it and holding-on.

John Doe
09-16-2008, 05:53 PM
The answer to a DB pushing him OOB is to have Edwards and Hardy work on throwing to a spot in the endzone sufficently far enough away from the side and back lines, so that even a good shove won't force him out. There's no need for Hardy to be in the exact corner of the endzone. The play is solely about throwing the ball high, where a DB cannot defense it, and Hardy catching it and holding-on.

Exactly right.

Turk Schonert commented that Edwards should have thrown the pass much earlier - Hardy was open immediately for the high pass. Edwards almost waited too long.

I think that they will dream up all kinds of patterns and formations to vary how they use the high pass to Hardy and keep the defenses guessing.

The patterns will definately take into account the new rules.

Mr. Pink
09-16-2008, 06:59 PM
Easily stopped.

Allow the Receiver to go up on his own...watch him catch it....then shove him out of bounds.

Under rules today, no catch, no touchdown, play stopped.

OpIv37
09-16-2008, 07:02 PM
What would have stopped it is if the DB would have shoved him out of bounds. As far as him catching it though I don't think any db would have been able to get up that high.

ding ding ding we have a winner. This thread should have been closed after this post- there's nothing else to say on this topic.

Stewie
09-16-2008, 07:37 PM
the only way was if he was pushed out of bounds.

what? :idunno:

Goobylal
09-16-2008, 07:47 PM
ding ding ding we have a winner. This thread should have been closed after this post- there's nothing else to say on this topic.
If you're asking about that specific play, then yes there was not much more to say. However the discussion evolved into one about what the Bills could do to make sure that a DB doesn't force Hardy out, and Hardy setting-up a yard or so away from the side and end lines will prevent him from getting forced-out, since it's hard to do to a 6'5" 220# guy.

Mitchy moo
09-16-2008, 07:55 PM
If you're asking about that specific play, then yes there was not much more to say. However the discussion evolved into one about what the Bills could do to make sure that a DB doesn't force Hardy out, and Hardy setting-up a yard or so away from the side and end lines will prevent him from getting forced-out, since it's hard to do to a 6'5" 220# guy.

Exactly.

seanbillsfan
09-16-2008, 09:35 PM
Because five times just wasn't enough... The corner can just push him out of bounds.
i think if the corner would have pushed him out then it wouldnt have been a touchdown

hydro
09-16-2008, 09:38 PM
i think if the corner would have pushed him out then it wouldnt have been a touchdown

Yes, that is what everyone is saying!