PDA

View Full Version : So I did a little scouting of the Raiders last night...

BlackMetalNinja
09-17-2008, 12:44 PM
Thanks to the miracle that is Quick Clips on Sunday Ticket... watching every play of a game in a half hour is a great way to catch up on the rest of the league.

So this will seem painfully obvious, but there is one clear cut focal point to stopping the Raiders and winning this game. We must shut down their run game. Thankfully we've proven pretty adept at doing so thus far this season. McFadden tore it up and Michael Bush is a damn good running back for those that forgot about him because of a broken leg at Louisville. Similar to the Taylor/Jones-Drew combo we faced this week, if we can limit the big plays made by these two, it'll go a very long way in helping us become 3-0.

Russell plainly isn't a very good NFL QB at this stage and he has limited options to throw the ball to anyways. If we can force them to play catch up and move the ball through the air, they're in for a long day.

So get an early lead, limit their big play running abilities... those are the first two steps. On the other side of the ball, they have some very good corners, the likes of which we haven't faced yet this season, so that should prove a challenge. Lynch and Jackson should be pounding the ball all day long in my opinion. Control the ball, make their defense tired, then strike with the passing game.

As I said, most of this is probably pretty obvious, but I think if we can execute on those handful of things, we should be in great position to put up a pretty decisive victory. I love being able to be extremely excited about this team still a few weeks into the season. I've missed it!

Pride
09-17-2008, 12:47 PM
I agree with the Phootball analysis.. however I think the most important part of this game is the Bills players continuing to play with that chip on their shoulder. We are definitely the better team, but the team needs to stay focused.

I'm sure that they will, but that is where I think the biggest battle of this game lies... in the heads of the Bills players.

BlackMetalNinja
09-17-2008, 12:51 PM
I agree with the Phootball analysis.. however I think the most important part of this game is the Bills players continuing to play with that chip on their shoulder. We are definitely the better team, but the team needs to stay focused.

I'm sure that they will, but that is where I think the biggest battle of this game lies... in the heads of the Bills players. Very valid point, over confidence bites athletes in the ass all the time... hopefully after years of being on the other end, we don't let that bother us now.

jdbillsfan
09-17-2008, 12:58 PM
How did their D look?

The Spaz
09-17-2008, 01:04 PM
How did their D look?

Well they gave up 40 something points to the Broncos and the Chiefs played with there 3rd QB so it's kind of hard to gauge. However Deangelo Hall of the Raiders gave up 146 yards receiving to Broncos Rookie WR Eddie Royal.

Pride
09-17-2008, 01:13 PM
LOL this could be a fun game to watch!

mysticsoto
09-17-2008, 01:55 PM
The game plan should be similar to the last 2 games that we played (and won). Stop the run. Seattle only had Julius Jones as a weapon as their WRs were hurting substantially. Jax had Fred Taylor and Drew-Jones to worry about as their WRs were nothing to write home about. Now, with Fargas out and McFadden not 100%, we have to stop Bush. I'd continue what we've been doing and have Poz play up and Whitner being the wild card where you don't know what he's going to do. Defensively, I don't see them as being able to hold out Stroud and company for very long. If we could only get the running game finally going, we could control the clock also - although 7 minute drives like in our last game would be very welcome!

Confused
09-17-2008, 02:32 PM
stop the run. dont get cocky.

yordad
09-17-2008, 02:37 PM
Put 8 in the box, dare them to throw. Then pound the rock, and dare them to put 8 in the box.

Jan Reimers
09-17-2008, 02:42 PM
McFadden and Bush scare me a little, particularly if we tackle like we did in parts of the Jacksonville game

RockStar36
09-17-2008, 02:49 PM
Isn't McFadden banged up?

mysticsoto
09-17-2008, 03:00 PM
McFadden and Bush scare me a little, particularly if we tackle like we did in parts of the Jacksonville game

Why? I still think the Fred Taylor and Jones-Drew combination is scarier and we got through them just fine.

DraftBoy
09-17-2008, 03:04 PM
Isn't McFadden banged up?
Yes but he still may be the best back we faced this year as of yet.

tat2dmike77
09-17-2008, 03:05 PM
BMN i agree with your anaylisis but......

Let's not go calling McFagen the next A.Peterson just yet (not saying you did). Remember they played the chiefs and my crippled ass could get 100 yards rushing on that sorry defense.

I'm not saying that McFagen is going to be a bust or the Bills should over look him trust me they are not. But it was the Chiefs after all.

You're right Russell is just plain bad and so is the play calling for that team. I use the term team loosely because it seems more like a bunch of me's on that team.

DraftBoy
09-17-2008, 03:06 PM
Why? I still think the Fred Taylor and Jones-Drew combination is scarier and we got through them just fine.

FT looks about two steps too slow this year, they aren't the duo they were previously and MJD isn't a starting RB because he can't take the carries. Both Bush and McFadden can wear us down and McFadden has game breaking speed with his size and can catch well too. They are better than FT and MJD.

DraftBoy
09-17-2008, 03:08 PM
BMN i agree with your anaylisis but......

Let's not go calling McFagen the next A.Peterson just yet (not saying you did). Remember they played the chiefs and my crippled ass could get 100 yards rushing on that sorry defense.

I'm not saying that McFagen is going to be a bust or the Bills should over look him trust me they are not. But it was the Chiefs after all.

You're right Russell is just plain bad and so is the play calling for that team. I use the term team loosely because it seems more like a bunch of me's on that team.

They better game plan like McFadden is the next AD. The guy single handily beat the Chiefs, no reason to think thats just because it was the Chiefs.

Dr. Lecter
09-17-2008, 03:09 PM
FT looks about two steps too slow this year, they aren't the duo they were previously and MJD isn't a starting RB because he can't take the carries. Both Bush and McFadden can wear us down and McFadden has game breaking speed with his size and can catch well too. They are better than FT and MJD.

Not until they prove in the bigs, they are not.

Although the Bills defense must tackle better. If they can get to Russell, he must go down!

Dr. Lecter
09-17-2008, 03:10 PM
They better game plan like McFadden is the next AD. The guy single handily beat the Chiefs, no reason to think thats just because it was the Chiefs.

The Chiefs craptastic offense was a factor as well.

You and I could cover the Cheifs WRs.

yordad
09-17-2008, 03:14 PM

Although the Bills defense must tackle better. If they can get to Russell, he must go down!Hopefully since it isn't 120 degrees, these guys will be able to tackle better.

DraftBoy
09-17-2008, 03:14 PM

Although the Bills defense must tackle better. If they can get to Russell, he must go down!

They are proving it so far, 230+ yards combined last week alone (first week Bush got carries). I hope we just shut them down but they way those guys were running they did a lot to make the Chiefs look bad on a D which has some good players in Dorsey, Johnson, Pollard, Hali, and Edwards.

DraftBoy
09-17-2008, 03:15 PM
The Chiefs craptastic offense was a factor as well.

This is true, though you can take Bowe.

Also I like Tyler Thigpen running their offense now, look for them to get better.

justasportsfan
09-17-2008, 03:16 PM
maybe db but you couldn't cover a turtle out of water.

Dr. Lecter
09-17-2008, 03:17 PM
maybe db but you couldn't cover a turtle out of water.

The old Lecter could not, the new Lecter is ready for the challenge.

DraftBoy
09-17-2008, 03:20 PM
The old Lecter could not, the new Lecter is ready for the challenge.

New Lecter, meet Dwayne Bowe, you have to cover him...

http://www.yardbarker.com/m/1293/xl/fullj.getty-75557857js012_minnesota_vik.jpg

tat2dmike77
09-17-2008, 03:21 PM

I said that the Bills should not over look McFaggen. But come on me and my grandma could dominate that defense.

I know McFaggen will have a good career and should be a target for the Bills D. But let's not start comparing him to AP just yet. AP did it consistantly all year last year. DM had ONE good game.

Of course i can throw this out there. Look what he didn't do against Denver. He did doo squat against them. Thats how the Bills D must play sunday against McFaggen

Who BTW i am happy is out of the SEC.

BAM
09-17-2008, 03:22 PM
I love those "Shortcuts"! I found a guy that puts them up as torrents every Monday! Very nice!

Dr. Lecter
09-17-2008, 03:23 PM
I am glad that our D-Line, knowing that Larry Johnson now runs like Grandmama, will be teeing off and will overwhelm Thigen very quickly.

RockStar36
09-17-2008, 03:24 PM

I'll wait and see on that.

Two games into his career, one good game against KC.

The Bills shutdown Jones-Drew/Taylor which is pretty damn impressive.

Dr. Lecter
09-17-2008, 03:26 PM
And that RB from the greatest school ever, Julius Jones! He must be awesome coming from ND and all that.

Typ0
09-17-2008, 03:42 PM
put this one in the win column folks. We only need to show up. Start preparing for the rams for a couple days and then spend four and a half weeks preparing for the Cardinals and Chargers. Our schedule is so darn favorable we could get to 13-3 or 14-4 and have the road to the superbowl come through the ralph.

superbills
09-17-2008, 03:57 PM
If we're 14-4 that means we're effectively IN the Superbowl at that point, right?

Typ0
09-17-2008, 04:31 PM
If we're 14-4 that means we're effectively IN the Superbowl at that point, right?

sorry I meant 14-2....but I like your thinking though!

The Spaz
09-17-2008, 04:32 PM
I love those "Shortcuts"! I found a guy that puts them up as torrents every Monday! Very nice!

Could you direct me to this? I have directv myself and accidentally deleted the Seahawks game.:beers:

BAM
09-18-2008, 05:52 AM
Could you direct me to this? I have directv myself and accidentally deleted the Seahawks game.:beers:

Sure! Check your PM's.

There are also people that put up the full versions of the games. I've been downloading those also.

HHURRICANE
09-18-2008, 08:21 AM
I think this is a game where we have to score early and frequently and have them in a corner to force mistakes.

We don't want to be in a gut fest here cause the Raiders will play out of their mind if they have a shot late.

syracuse76
09-18-2008, 08:31 AM
Thanks to the miracle that is Quick Clips on Sunday Ticket... watching every play of a game in a half hour is a great way to catch up on the rest of the league.

So this will seem painfully obvious, but there is one clear cut focal point to stopping the Raiders and winning this game. We must shut down their run game. Thankfully we've proven pretty adept at doing so thus far this season. McFadden tore it up and Michael Bush is a damn good running back for those that forgot about him because of a broken leg at Louisville. Similar to the Taylor/Jones-Drew combo we faced this week, if we can limit the big plays made by these two, it'll go a very long way in helping us become 3-0.

Russell plainly isn't a very good NFL QB at this stage and he has limited options to throw the ball to anyways. If we can force them to play catch up and move the ball through the air, they're in for a long day.

So get an early lead, limit their big play running abilities... those are the first two steps. On the other side of the ball, they have some very good corners, the likes of which we haven't faced yet this season, so that should prove a challenge. Lynch and Jackson should be pounding the ball all day long in my opinion. Control the ball, make their defense tired, then strike with the passing game.

As I said, most of this is probably pretty obvious, but I think if we can execute on those handful of things, we should be in great position to put up a pretty decisive victory. I love being able to be extremely excited about this team still a few weeks into the season. I've missed it!

good read. im amped for this season alot of promise ...alot of promise.

gr8slayer
09-18-2008, 08:52 AM
He couldn't hold MJD or Taylor's jock strap.