PDA

View Full Version : McKelvin’s role to increase on kickoffs

The Spaz
09-17-2008, 03:30 PM
When you have Terrence McGee as your kick returner it’s hard to go away from a guy that has been so productive for the past five seasons. But when you also have the most prolific return man in NCAA history on your bench it’s hard not to tap into that talent as well. Three weeks into the 2008 campaign it sounds like the Bills will try to do both.

“We love Terrence (McGee) on the kickoff return,” said head coach Dick Jauron. “He’s playing a lot of snaps defensively. He loves to return. We’d like to let him do that to some degree, but we’d also like to get Leodis more involved.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6606

Lexwhat
09-17-2008, 03:35 PM
Good. Let McGee focus on Defense, while Leodis can contribute this way.

Ed
09-17-2008, 03:37 PM
If they are splitting return duties, I think it will keep them hungrier to do more with each return too.

OpIv37
09-17-2008, 03:45 PM
So far, Leodis hasn't looked good on returns

yordad
09-17-2008, 03:50 PM
I thought they just did that last week because it was so friggin hot, and they wanted to save McGee for D. :idunno:

I will believe it when I see it.

Dr. Lecter
09-17-2008, 03:51 PM

He only had two returns. Not much to judge on, especially considering he had a better average than McGee in the game. (21-17) So apparently the Jags were covering well or the Bills were blocking like crap. (or both)

He showed nice moves in pre-season. Get him some work and see what he can do, especially if McGee's back is bothering him.

Mitchy moo
09-17-2008, 03:54 PM

He looked fine during the preseason and as I recall he broke away a few times. Is there a different beat of the drum that makes you crap on anything positive when spoken about? Leodis has talent and can contribute in different aspects of the game, is that OK?

Just for clarification, when do inexperienced players learn how to become experienced??

OpIv37
09-17-2008, 03:56 PM
He looked fine during the preseason and as I recall he broke away a few times. Is there a different beat of the drum that makes you crap on anything positive when spoken about? Leodis has talent and can contribute in different aspects of the game, is that OK?

Just for clarification, when do inexperienced players learn how to become experienced??

arrrgh.

Why is it that whenever a player looks like crap in preseason, it's "only preseason", but if a player looks good, suddenly it's a good sign?

I don't have a problem with it IF he contributes. But we're taking a great returner off return duties for a guy who hasn't looked good so far. No one else sees the problem with that?

Yes at some point players need to get experience. But does it have to be when we're actually WINNING? There's a time and a place to develop players.

Michael82
09-17-2008, 04:01 PM
Good to hear. McGee looks slower than usual on returns this year and seeing how McKelvin isn't seeing any defensive plays, we might as well give him the KR job. :up:

Typ0
09-17-2008, 04:27 PM
McKelvin made a couple good returns in preseason but other times he made mistakes. It's got to be hard to take a great returner off the field for this.

mybills
09-17-2008, 05:06 PM
My boy has a sore back? :eek:

BAM
09-17-2008, 05:08 PM
Sweet. I thought he looked great in preseason returning kickoffs. Would love to see him get more in the reg. season.

mayotm
09-17-2008, 05:17 PM
arrrgh.

Why is it that whenever a player looks like crap in preseason, it's "only preseason", but if a player looks good, suddenly it's a good sign?

I don't have a problem with it IF he contributes. But we're taking a great returner off return duties for a guy who hasn't looked good so far. No one else sees the problem with that?

Yes at some point players need to get experience. But does it have to be when we're actually WINNING? There's a time and a place to develop players.Glad to see that the nice start to the season hasn't changed your crappy attitude. Maybe, just maybe, the coaches think McKelvin can make some plays. They aren't ready to throw in the towel because he didn't have much success in those TWO returns.

Night Train
09-17-2008, 05:26 PM
McKelvin has a stride that looks slow but is flat flying down the field.

Mitchy moo
09-17-2008, 05:35 PM
arrrgh.

Yes at some point players need to get experience. But does it have to be when we're actually WINNING? There's a time and a place to develop players.

Can you show me the stats on the "crap" he looked like, I remember a different story. He caught a ball near the 5, wow hang him for it. He caught the ball a few times and flew as well, so which is correctable and good for the team.

We have been very solid so far on many aspects of our team, tweaking a little and getting talented players field team will only help the team.

Dr. Lecter
09-17-2008, 06:06 PM
He only had two returns. Not much to judge on, especially considering he had a better average than McGee in the game. (21-17) So apparently the Jags were covering well or the Bills were blocking like crap. (or both)

He showed nice moves in pre-season. Get him some work and see what he can do, especially if McGee's back is bothering him.

Op, did you even read the counter to your "looks like crap" claim?

He has two KO returns in his career and in that game he outperformed the "great" KO returner.

Isn't two KO returns a little wee bit premature to **** on a guy?

FlyingDutchman
09-17-2008, 06:09 PM
He is the 11 overall pick. might as well get him on the field any way we can. obviously we would keep mcgee fresh. i wouldnt be worried about mckelvin not looking great yet, he hasnt had a chance to. this guy obviously has the return ability, why not use him.

OpIv37
09-17-2008, 06:24 PM
Glad to see that the nice start to the season hasn't changed your crappy attitude. Maybe, just maybe, the coaches think McKelvin can make some plays. They aren't ready to throw in the towel because he didn't have much success in those TWO returns.

Way to miss the point.

We KNOW McGee is good at kickoff returns. We DON'T KNOW if McKelvin is good at kickoff returns.

We're replacing a sure thing with a possibility.

Confused
09-17-2008, 07:31 PM
You arent the best returner in history and not be good at it.

I think you are trying too hard to be a negative nellie OP.

Dr. Lecter
09-17-2008, 08:46 PM
Way to miss the point.

We KNOW McGee is good at kickoff returns. We DON'T KNOW if McKelvin is good at kickoff returns.

We're replacing a sure thing with a possibility.

There are also other reasons to do this move (if they do so).

It saves McGee for defense. It allows a now older McGee to concentrat one one part of the game and allows the younger McKelvin to get on the field.

Not to mention McGee is already hurting this week so it limits the chances for him to hurt his back.

In short, just looking at the KO return part of it is only a part of the equation.

mikemac2001
09-17-2008, 11:24 PM
I made a post about mcgee not picking off passes bc of him returning and he is doing both this year.....id like to see mckelvin like 35% of the time problem is our D is locking down this year so kickoffs are down....but i love our special teams...special team TD's are killers for the other team

madness
10-16-2008, 01:18 PM
Revisted...

BY THE NUMBERS: 25.6 -- Leodis McKelvin (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/535179)'s kickoff return average, third best among rookies or first-year players in Bills (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/67039) history so far. Wallace Francis averaged 29.87 in 1973 and Mike Mosley 27.06 in 1982.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/buffalo-bills/teamreport

He also has the 10th best avg. in the NFL among those with 10 or more returns. I believe McGee has had only two seasons where he had a better avg.

yordad
10-16-2008, 01:39 PM
Revisted...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/buffalo-bills/teamreport

He also has the 10th best avg. in the NFL among those with 10 or more returns. I believe McGee has had only two seasons where he had a better avg.Well, what did McGee have thus far this year?

And gez, I read that link. It looks fairly depressing.

madness
10-16-2008, 01:43 PM
Well, what did McGee have thus far this year?

20.7, longest being 27 yds but in fairness he only has 3 returns so far this season.

McKelvin's longest was 56 yds and 12 of his 16 returns have been over 20 yds.

OpIv37
10-16-2008, 02:21 PM
20.7, longest being 27 yds but in fairness he only has 3 returns so far this season.

McKelvin's longest was 56 yds and 12 of his 16 returns have been over 20 yds.

Don't forget the fumble.

madness
10-16-2008, 02:26 PM
Don't forget the fumble.

:rofl:

justasportsfan
10-16-2008, 02:34 PM
I have a feeling he's gonna break one for a TD. He's had 2 weeks of practice.

Dr. Lecter
10-16-2008, 02:34 PM
He has been thisclose to breaking one the last couple of weeks.

trapezeus
10-16-2008, 03:27 PM
he looks like he still has some timidness on his return. if he can shake that and trust the blocking, i bet he has 5 TD's in him.

i'd also love to see him put in on a reverse on the offense.