X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Thurman Thomas joins with Rochester Raiders

National Football League Hall of Fame running back.

Chief Operating Officer.

Father and husband.

Tuesday, Thurman Thomas added the title "owner" to his résumé, announcing he had joined the Rochester Raiders indoor football team's ownership group, together with current majority owner Bob Bartosiewicz and director of operations David McCarthy.

The team also officially announced it will be joining the Indoor Football League.

"I know Bob and Dave have a vision of what they want this indoor team to be like," the former Buffalo Bills great said. "And even though I live in Buffalo I know that I want to be a part of what they are involved in. When I played there was a lot of fan base here, and there was a lot of great people here that I met over the years, and I want to regain those relationships."

Thomas, who moved back to Buffalo a year and a half ago, doesn't know yet exactly what he'll be doing but hopes to reconnect to the upstate New York football market.

"I don't know what my role will be," Thomas said. "I don't know if I'm going to be a motivational guy, or a guy that players can look to on the sideline. But this is something new in my life and it's exciting."

• Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Re: Thurman Thomas joins with Rochester Raiders

Very cool! I'm glad he's getting some ownership experience. This is the first step for him to learn the business about owning/running a sports team. Sure it's a minor league team, but it's still a good thing. I'm betting that he will be in the Jim Kelly/Tom Golisano ownership group.

Comment

• The King
      Without me it's just Awe so
      • Jun 2004

Not a good week to sign with the Raiders Thurm.
      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
      It was all
      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
      He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
      mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• The Spaz
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by MBBedard

Comment

• Michael82
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by MBBedard
          I was thinking the same thing.

Comment

• Tiburon1724
            • Sep 2005

Wonder if he's still doing the afl2 team in Buffalo he said was coming next year.

Comment

• Michael82
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Tiburon1724
              Wonder if he's still doing the afl2 team in Buffalo he said was coming next year.
              Nope, I heard it fell thru.

Comment

Working...
              X