PDA

View Full Version : Anatomy: Hardy's first TD

Romes
09-17-2008, 06:59 PM
Greg Cosell dissects James Hardy's game-winning touchdown catch that beat the Jaguars.
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80ae50e8

Cool breakdown of the play.

BillsOwnAll
09-17-2008, 07:08 PM
Good find! That last few looks like it coulda been out :X But he is going to be a monster in the red zone.

I think its so crazy how the average fan with little "in game" football knowledge can learn by little things like that. When they see a receiver like josh reed kind of "dogging it" some probably say he takes a play off, but it all has a purpose. Its so much more in dpeth then one would think.

Goobylal
09-17-2008, 08:45 PM
I was watching the video and said "Trent should have thrown it earlier to give Hardy more room," and that's what Cosell said. This should be fixed the next time they run it, although next time I think they go to Royal or Reed, expecting Hardy to get more attention.

Romes
09-17-2008, 08:49 PM
If Hardy's foot wasn't out...there certainly was not any room to spare.

hydro
09-17-2008, 09:29 PM
If Hardy's foot wasn't out...there certainly was not any room to spare.
I think it was too close to call for them so they just went with the call on the field.

cocamide
09-17-2008, 09:38 PM
That guy should break down every single one of our plays. I wouldn't mind watching that for 5 hours.

Romes
09-17-2008, 09:39 PM
I think it was too close to call for them so they just went with the call on the field.

yeah, i think so, too.

Mad Bomber
09-17-2008, 09:56 PM
I was watching the video and said "Trent should have thrown it earlier to give Hardy more room," and that's what Cosell said. This should be fixed the next time they run it, although next time I think they go to Royal or Reed, expecting Hardy to get more attention.
I agree. Trent did that little dance before throwing the ball. He should have just dropped and thrown it to the corner. I guess that will just come with experience...

Mad Bomber
09-17-2008, 09:57 PM
That guy should break down every single one of our plays. I wouldn't mind watching that for 5 hours.
He IS good. I like the way that he showed how much Reed and Royal (and especially Reed) contributed to the success of that play.

mikemac2001
09-17-2008, 11:32 PM
1 game played ....1 TD

Thats what he does

superbills
09-18-2008, 08:12 AM
I agree. Trent did that little dance before throwing the ball. He should have just dropped and thrown it to the corner. I guess that will just come with experience...

Indeed. The bottom line is it was successful. I think Trent has tried that corner play before with other receivers without success. Now that it was successful he'll have confidence in making his read and just delivering the ball without hesitation.

theanswer74
09-18-2008, 08:44 AM
It looked to me like Edwards wanted to pull the Safety inside on Royal and make sure Mathis came down on Reed before he looked at Hardy.

I heard Hardy say he was the the #1 read on that play, but if you watch Edwards he stares down Royal, then goes to Hardy.

When Mathis came down on Reed, Edwards wasn't looking that way. Might have been why Mathis came down on Reed.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-18-2008, 09:32 AM
So what would they do the next time they run this play?

I see a Reed TD oppotunity if Hardy goes straight for the back pylon but actually do a WR pick on the deep cornor (in this case Mathis), allowing Reed to cut outside and Edwards throwing outside. That is if Hardy is up to the task of blocking ...

justasportsfan
09-18-2008, 09:34 AM
this is what I mean by our team talking too much to media. Why is Hardy breaking down the play? The Pats don't do it, neither should we. I know coaches can break it down anyways but we should stop .

gr8slayer
09-18-2008, 09:34 AM
I honestly thought he was out.

yordad
09-18-2008, 09:50 AM
1 game played ....1 TD

Thats what he doesActually, he got on the field for like 4 plays in the opener.

theanswer74
09-18-2008, 10:15 AM
this is what I mean by our team talking too much to media. Why is Hardy breaking down the play? The Pats don't do it, neither should we. I know coaches can break it down anyways but we should stop .
Any dumbass coach would break down that play in 2 seconds. The play can be run so many different ways also. You could have Reed keep going out to the sideline, You could have Hardy do an out and in to the back of the Endzone. You could have Royal run to the back of the endzone.

I love how that play was designed. It's unstoppable if we execute.

They didnt reveal anything the tape doesn't show. Now if they would have showed all the different routes they can run out that formation, then we could complain.

justasportsfan
09-18-2008, 10:32 AM
Any dumbass coach would break down that play in 2 seconds. The play can be run so many different ways also. You could have Reed keep going out to the sideline, You could have Hardy do an out and in to the back of the Endzone. You could have Royal run to the back of the endzone.

I love how that play was designed. It's unstoppable if we execute.

They didnt reveal anything the tape doesn't show. Now if they would have showed all the different routes they can run out that formation, then we could complain.

Mularkey: OKay we're running this the fade out to right corner . Someone grab my pop up playbook.

Fairchild: shouting it out to Trent and not using the headset "YO Trent , Fade out route to Hardy" giggles to Dick. "they are not gonna see this coming "