X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

Is this a pass first team?

One thing about this team over the last couple of seasons and until now even is the lack of dominance in the run game. Even with all the upgrades on the OL we have yet to see the Bills really impose themselves on defenses and run at will.

After watching the last 2 games it occurred to me that maybe the strength of this offense is actually the pass game and not the run game. And now that I really think about it, it makes perfect sense.

1. Peters is a much better pass blocker than run blocker.

2. Fowler can only pass block.

3. Butler is improving as a run blocker but pass blocking is his strength.

4. Edwards is very good at reading defenses and getting the ball out quick for short gains. This acts as a run game.

5. We have 4 solid receivers on this team plus 2 RBs that can catch like Wrs.

6. We seem to have more success when Edwards drops back to pass then when we hand it off to a RB. Edwards is completing 70%+ of his passes while on the ground we average less than 4 yards a carry. (Lynch 3.6, Fred 3.0).

For these reasons I think the Bills should be operating out of 3 and 4 wr sets almost exclusively and setting up the run with the pass. Force defenses to defend our strength then hit them up with the opposite.

Anyone else feel the same way?
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Is this a pass first team?

I've posted several times that the Bills should pass first to set up the run.

Our rushing success comes on traps, draws etc. Our Lineman are tons better in pass blocking.

Play to your strengths.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Philagape
      WIN NOW
      • Jul 2002

There were times during the Jax game that I thought, "This looks like the run and shoot."
      "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
      2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• syracuse76
        Knowing is half the battle......
        • Aug 2008

i dont think this is a pass first or a run first.....i think this is a balanced team. i do agree with the above they need to set up both, they seem to still be "telegraphing there plays". they are alot bettter then last year in mixing it up but we need to do better to through opponents off more.
        2009 AFC East Division Champs 12-4
        POZ will lead us to the promise land
        "That which does not kill me,
        will only make me stronger"
        Nietzsche

Comment

• IAG
          • Jan 2005

When frost comes on the pumpkin we better be a run first team...

Comment

• yordad
            • Dec 2007

I think we are versitile enough for it to depend on the strength of the defense we play.
            "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

We are a run,run pass team. Even the blind can see it. Oh wait . That was the last 2 years.

IMO teams are daring a young qb to beat them with his arm and stacking up the line to stop Lynch. Trent has just been doing well in reading blitzes.

Dick has always been a smashmouth type of coach.
              Last edited by justasportsfan; 09-18-2008, 10:27 AM.
              sacrifice1
              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• syracuse76
                Knowing is half the battle......
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by yordad
                I think we are versitile enough for it to depend on the strength of the defense we play.
                much agreed we are good at all facets of the game this year from special teams and offense to the defense.
                2009 AFC East Division Champs 12-4
                POZ will lead us to the promise land
                "That which does not kill me,
                will only make me stronger"
                Nietzsche

Comment

• gr8slayer
                  • Feb 2005

Well we are running more of a West Coast offense; is it really any surprise to anyone that we're passing more and more effectively? Short slants, pass to the RB, set up the run with the pass, etc...... all WCO.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                    • May 2003

I would really like to see our run blocking improve. Lynch gets most of his yardage on his own, although he has had some good blocks on his TD runs.
                    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Dujek
                      Hall of Fame Zoner
                      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                      I would really like to see our run blocking improve. Lynch gets most of his yardage on his own, although he has had some good blocks on his TD runs.
                      The blocking on Lynch's TD run against the Jags was superb, and I hoped we'd see more of the same for the rest of the game, unfortunately that wasn't the case. I hope the coaches set the o-line down, showed them that play and told them that's what they expected from them on every rushing down.

Comment

• Jeff1220
                        H to the 12:20
                        • Jul 2002

The team is definitely more successful when they pass. However, they are very balanced in the plays they call.

Comment

• methos4ever
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by gr8slayer
                          Well we are running more of a West Coast offense; is it really any surprise to anyone that we're passing more and more effectively? Short slants, pass to the RB, set up the run with the pass, etc...... all WCO.
                          Take a look at that NFL.com video - that was a very west coast play call. Instead of the numbers system we used with Fairchild and Mularkey, the call was "Double Indy Z Corner" - which is a concept call ala the WCO.

Comment

• obie wan
                            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                            Lynch would not need to do so much on his own if he followed the blocking scheme for that play.

His failure to hit the right hole is why he struggles so much.

It's a good thing Freddy Jackson is smart enough to run pass patterns to cover up for Lynch's shortcomings in this area.

Comment

• baalworship
                              • May 2003

I think our run blocking will get better as the year goes on. We switched from Jim McNally's zone blocking scheme to a man blocking scheme and that could take a while to bear fruit. As long as we are decent by the time the snow falls I won't complain.

For now we should pass to set up the run because we are an exceptional pass protection team and have enough receivers we can send out along with a QB that can pull the trigger.

Comment

Working...
                              X