PDA

View Full Version : Congrats on getting McGahee

Phins054
04-28-2003, 04:29 PM
Injury or not...this kid has what it takes to succeed. He will be ready to play at some point this year. And though I HATE to see him going to Buffalo, I think he is in a perfect situation. Travis is a damn good back so you will not be dependent on Willis right away, he will have plenty time to heal and strengthen to where he needs to be. Plus I will atleast get to see him a few times a year being in the division.

It would have been nice to see Miami have a chance at him, but with Ricky and the RBs on our roster. we wouldn't have drafted him.

Anyways...I think you got a great talent with the capabilities to be the next Thurman. Sucks for us.

Tatonka
04-28-2003, 04:40 PM
thanks man.. class act.. as usual.

Halbert
04-28-2003, 04:43 PM
I agree. Most people seem to be panning the pick but I liked it. The shelf life of RB's is exceptionally short and if you have the opportunity to add someone like him at the end of the 1st round you do it. Even without playing this year at all he'll get 75% of the education he would have being 3rd on the depth chart so next season when he's completely healthy he'll be ready to explode. And you can't have too many great RB's.

Dozerdog
04-28-2003, 04:59 PM
The more I think of it, the more I love it!

Just as Travis Henry gets expensive, we can replace him with a cap freindly BETTER RB - if it doesn't pan out, we still win!

Maybe I'll call myself the Willinator, or McGaHeeinator.......I'll work on that! :D

HenryRules
04-28-2003, 05:01 PM
I don't think that many people are panning this pick on the board. There seems to be a very vocal minority that hates the pick, a large majority that's not swayed too much either way, and then a larger minority that really likes the pick. Count me in the last group.

BillC
04-28-2003, 05:39 PM
The old "love him or hate him"

I'm very familiar with that!

Shiny Chicken
04-28-2003, 05:56 PM
I'm bittersweet on it. Overall, I think thee's about an 80-90% chance this will be a successful pick for the team. The only problems I can see arising is if WM ends up never returning to his old form or if he does return to that form... we get rid of Henry, and he reinjures his knee, ending his career, and we no longer have Henry... those are both in the back of my mind... however... I think the probability is that WM will fully recover and become a great back. I like the pick. I cheered it when it happened, and I still like the pick.

I really like Travis Henry though... if McGahee turns into an amazing back, it'll be tough to see him go.

Kevikid
04-28-2003, 05:57 PM
I hope we can sign him...Rosenhaus is pretty tough to deal with.

HenryRules
04-28-2003, 06:48 PM
I don't remember Shockey having any problems and getting to camp on time. He would have been much harder to sign than McGahee IMO. Admittedly I didn't follow it that much, so there might have been issues.

sTp Scott
04-28-2003, 06:55 PM
As a Seminole, I am very happy to have this Hurricane in a BILLS uni

Philagape
04-29-2003, 12:03 AM
The worst-case scenario is WM never plays up to his old form. In which case, Henry stays, and we lose a first-round pick that we shouldn't have had anyway because we traded it for Drew. If WM stays healthy and we trade TH and WM gets hurt, well that's the risk all football players come with. We won't let TH go unless WM is good as new.
Yeah, we lose Price, but at least we're not the Bungles losing Spikes.
We've had first-round busts before, so if it's going to happen this time, better to do it taking a chance on a potential superstar in a season in which the draft won't add that much to an already-great team that's clearly built to win NOW. Our teams have always been built on later-round picks anyway.

Shiny Chicken
04-29-2003, 12:17 AM
Doesn't anyone else fear that McGahee will start strong when he first actually starts playing... he looks like the second coming of Emmit Smith... and then we get rid of Travis Henry.... and then McGahee busts his knee again... then we'd have nobody... what do you do then? Travis may have a slight fumbling problem... but he's been pretty durable... was out for a short time in his rookie season...

Remember, McGahee has injured and had surgery on the same knee before.

I still like the pick... I'm just going through possibilities... I think that's our worst case scenario.

TigerJ
04-29-2003, 01:07 PM
Thanks, Phins. I second Tatonka's sentiments. As far as picking McGahee, I think it was a pretty good move. The main reservation I have is not the injury itself but the fact that we already have an excellent back in TH. If TH is a legitimate 1500 yard back (with good YPC), then production wise McGahee really will not be that huge an upgrade. That's not a knock on McGahee whom I like very much. I'm just looking at numbers. The reason that TD did it IMO was the sparseness of impact players at a need position when the Bills picked. While McGahee will not do anything for the Bills this year (though I think he may play some in December), he gives the Bills the chance to improve quite a bit in 2004. McGahee is certainly some better than TH, though I don't know how anyone can't really quantify it. But the real upgrade comes in the form of a second first round pick in next year's draft. I'm assuming TH gets traded. Hopefully Buffalo's own pick will be a late one, 32? But, if Buffalo can swing a trade with a losing team, we get a pick in the top half of the draft too. We could draft a top defensive player there and then a speed receiver late in round one. It's all about the future.

WCoastFin
04-29-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Phins054
Injury or not...this kid has what it takes to succeed. He will be ready to play at some point this year. And though I HATE to see him going to Buffalo, I think he is in a perfect situation. Travis is a damn good back so you will not be dependent on Willis right away, he will have plenty time to heal and strengthen to where he needs to be. Plus I will atleast get to see him a few times a year being in the division.

It would have been nice to see Miami have a chance at him, but with Ricky and the RBs on our roster. we wouldn't have drafted him.

Anyways...I think you got a great talent with the capabilities to be the next Thurman. Sucks for us.

OMGoodness! what have you guys doe to Phins054!? this is not the phins054 i know.....

"I think he is in a pefect situation." ......Yeah, if youre talking about starting a RB contreversy.....next time please define the "perfect situation".....

"It would have been nice to see Miami have a chance at him"....No it wouldnt, I wouldnt want to make the same Mistake Buffalo did.....

"I think you got a great talent with the capabilities to be the next Thurman"....Although i hate Thurmo, I respect his accomplishments, but dude, your way off on this one....youre saying that an injury recovering guy who has his knee like a "train wreck" can come in and a accomplish what a HOFer did, at this time im hoping Ricky accomplishes what Thrumo did....put down that crack pipe and say no to drugs!.....

I agree that Mcgahee was awsome ,but that was before his knee injury, he wont be the same guy anymore, and i havent seen a case where a knee injury helps a guy get better....

"Sucks for us." ....I dont know what you mean by "us", but for me this was a great move and a great wasted pick, we'll just see how much Mcgahee slows down when has has Zach or Seau coming at him full speed.

Its ok to be a McGahee fan, just dont let that get you mixed up with the facts.

don137
04-29-2003, 01:34 PM
One thing about Phins054 he is someone you can have a rationale level headed discussion without all the name calling like someother fin fans. I wished more fans showed the class of Phins054 fans. In fact I think many Bills fans hate their fans more than the players because of their illogical posts.
I like the pick more than I hate the pick. I agree with Dozer that if WM comes back fully heeled we save a lot of cap space since TH will get very expensive being an elite RB (if he can correct his fumbling problems) so we can go to WM.

TypicalBill
04-29-2003, 01:40 PM
I dont know what you mean by "us", but for me this was a great move and a great wasted pick, we'll just see how much Mcgahee slows down when has has Zach or Seau coming at him full speed.

by 2005, McGahee will be fully healed and healthy..doing what he does best and entering his third year in the league.. while Seau and Zack are retired lol

:snicker2:

justasportsfan
04-29-2003, 01:42 PM
WCF no offense, but I'll take Phins054 unbiased opinions over yours. I don't think it's the perfect situation because it's cold in Buffalo. However he is with a team that does not need to rush for him to start. Thereofre he can take time to heal until he is 100% and ready to compete with Henry who BTW is not a bad RB in the meantime.

Did you know that Thurman had a blown knee in college as well? and was a risk too? BTW are you a doctor WCF?

As for Seau and Zach coming at full speed, Willis will not hit the field until it is proven that he is ready.

There are no facts with regards to the future which you are trying to predict unless you did time travel. :D

Pride
04-29-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Philagape
The worst-case scenario is WM never plays up to his old form. In which case, Henry stays, and we lose a first-round pick that we shouldn't have had anyway because we traded it for Drew.

Wrong... Like Shiny Chicken said earlier... the worst case senario is, TH goes well next year, then McGahee comes on at the end of the season, or even the next season, and does well. We trade TH for a 1st round pick, which we use to take a DT. Then the next game McGahee plays in, he busts his knee again.

Boom, there we are without a solid RB. That is worst case.

Then again, he may be just fine, and who knows, the same thing could happen to TH this year. 1st play, bam, knee goes.

Cntrygal
04-29-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by don137
One thing about Phins054 he is someone you can have a rationale level headed discussion without all the name calling like someother fin fans. I wished more fans showed the class of Phins054 fans. In fact I think many Bills fans hate their fans more than the players because of their illogical posts.

:bravo:

SABURZFAN
04-30-2003, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by WCoastFin
"Sucks for us." ....I dont know what you mean by "us",

you'll find out when seau and thomas can't catch him.

Dozerdog
04-30-2003, 05:49 AM
Talk about wasted draft picks- Moore from Tennesee? He was supposed to be a second day selection. :rofl:

TypicalBill
04-30-2003, 05:53 AM
:lol: more like Undrafted FA...thats what i read everywhere lol

:snicker2:

BillsFanInMass
04-30-2003, 06:52 AM
Mcgahee is already way ahead of schedule he might even see action late in the seasonC:\Documents and Settings\Adam\Desktop\henry phins.JPG

HenryRules
04-30-2003, 07:59 AM
I'm not too worried about McGahee blowing out his knee again. I mean, obviously its a concern, but whether or not a player has injured his knee before, it always seems to be a fluke play that causes knees to be blown out and I think all RB's are basically equally likely to face this problem (just my thoughts, I could be wrong).

Basically, I'm just as concerned about Henry blowing out his knee as I am about McGahee blowing out his.

Dozerdog
04-30-2003, 08:06 AM
It is just as plausible that we drafted William Joseph, then lose Henry to some bizare incident. That's what Gary is for- insurance.

hey
04-30-2003, 09:47 AM
th has already proven himself as an elite hb.how much better can willis be than th.travis got 1400 yards and you guys didnt even run that much.what do you expect from willis?so what if he was suppose to be a top 3 and you got him at 23 pick if henry was in the draf and every1 knew he was gonna be this good he would of been a top 3 pick too.i dont think willis can do much better than travis.

HenryRules
04-30-2003, 09:57 AM
It depends what you consider an elite RB. As my name implies, I think Henry's amazing. But I think to be an elite, you have to be top-5 at your position. Has Henry proven that he's better than most of: Faulk, Dillon, Martin, James, Portis, Williams, Tomlinson, Holmes, Lewis, Taylor, Bennett, McAllister, Hearst, or Garner?

I don't think he has (not that all of them have proven to be better than Henry) and I think he eventually will, but to say that Henry is a proven elite RB is a huge stretch.

Also, the comment about us not running much may be true, but Henry certainlay was involved as much as almost any other RB - he was 4th or 5th in the NFL in carries.