• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

interesting view on Young QB's

from yahoo!sports

Trent Edwards, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Cassel and J.T. O'Sullivan finishing the season with QB ratings as high as they are right now. And you're thinking, "No sugar, Sherlock." Stick with me, though. There's a larger point I wanted to make.
    The low-man in the group right now is O'Sullivan with a 96.3 rating. Everyone else is over 100. In fact, through two weeks, there are 10 quarterbacks with a rating over 100, while only three finished the year above that mark in 2007, so I'm not going out on a limb here. But that's okay; I'll wear the cape of Captain Obvious. I need to up my percentage here in Don't Count On It.
    Anyway, here's what I'm saying: Young non-rookie quarterbacks, when they finally get their first sustained playing time in the league, can do very well. Not all of them do, of course, but a lot of them do.
    And then, a few weeks into their stint as a starter, their numbers will take a nosedive. It happens when other teams get a few games of them on film, and they can spot tendencies and start to take away the things that a particular quarterback likes to do. Let's call it the Derek Anderson Principle.
    Last year, in four of the first six games The Shaggy DA started, he had a QB rating over 100. After that sixth week, though, he'd never see that mark again. Things took a turn for him, and to this day, he's still struggling to re-elevate his game.
    Let's graph Anderson's QB ratings through the 17 starts he's made over this season and last, because graphs are awesome. This one's for you, junior high math teacher Mr. Varner.
    The chart might work a little better for my purposes if Anderson hadn't also thrown up a couple of bombs in two of his early starts, but I still think it makes the point. After a few weeks, film accumulates. When film accumulates, teams get the drop on a new QB, and that's when he either starts to grow or starts to rot. The growing rarely starts right away.
    (And by the way, I hope we never stop calling it "film," even though I don't think there are a lot of coaches out there who still set up an actual film projector in team meetings. It makes me think of being in school as a young lad, and getting excited for film-strip day, where we'd watch a film about, I don't know, the benefits of milk or something.)
    I'm not knocking Rodgers, Edwards, O'Sullivan, or Cassel here; or even Derek Anderson, for that matter. They can all continue to be fantastic quarterbacks for a long time, and please don't see this as an indication that I don't believe in any of them (except for J.T. O'Sullivan ... I'm having a hard time believing in him ... sue me). It's just a fact of life for NFL quarterbacks, and it's something they're all going to have to deal with sooner than later
  • Bufftp
    Hi Dave!

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Re: interesting view on Young QB's

Originally posted by trapezeus
    from yahoo!sports

And then, a few weeks into their stint as a starter, their numbers will take a nosedive. It happens when other teams get a few games of them on film, and they can spot tendencies and start to take away the things that a particular quarterback likes to do.
    How many starts did TE have last year?
    Photobucket

In the end, there are only three liberal archetypes: The fools, the beneficiaries and the crooks.
    "If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day, but if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life"
    Optyimus Ignorus Realityious!

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
    - John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

To live in the presence of great truths and eternal laws,
    to be led by permanent ideals -
    that is what keeps a man patient
    when the world ignores him,
    and calm and unspoiled when the world praises him. -- Honore De Balzac

Comment

• Ingtar33
      Dances With Buffaloes
      • Sep 2002

9 (i think)
      My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Slim
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Bufftp
        How many starts did TE have last year?
        There's film on Edwards.

Comment

• trapezeus
          Legendary Zoner
          • Oct 2004

i know that edwards has more film on him, but it is a new offense.

It's turks job to review the film too and to prevent the other team from t-ing of his qb's tendencies.

last year this happened to edwards. he kinda slowed down, yet still effective, as the season wore on.

Comment

• Philagape
            WIN NOW
            • Jul 2002

I'm not sure how much of an impact watching film on Edwards will have. His strengths are that he's cool in the pocket, accurate and smart. Those are hard traits to defend. And he's versatile ... he can beat you short, medium or long, all over the field. He can't be pigeonholed.
            And Turk's offense has been anything but predictable. For example, in the first game Royal had six catches, Jackson zero. Against Jax it was Jackson seven, Royal zero.
            "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
            2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Bufftp
              Hi Dave!

Administrator Emeritus
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ingtar33
              9 (i think)
              That's my point. There is film on him, and even with a new system in place his tendacies are known. TE should not have been included in that article. TE is the real deal.
              Photobucket

In the end, there are only three liberal archetypes: The fools, the beneficiaries and the crooks.
              "If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day, but if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life"
              Optyimus Ignorus Realityious!

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
              - John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

To live in the presence of great truths and eternal laws,
              to be led by permanent ideals -
              that is what keeps a man patient
              when the world ignores him,
              and calm and unspoiled when the world praises him. -- Honore De Balzac

Comment

Working...
              X