PDA

View Full Version : Beats of the AFC East -NY Jets Draft Review

Ingtar33
04-28-2003, 06:25 PM
After piecing together the Bills Draft review, and seeing it greeted with good reviews, I was asked to put together a review of the whole AFC East (other than Buffalo), and go over their picks, player by play. Since I have all these notes lying around and no common sense I agreed. The way this review will work is the same as it was for the Bills. I'll give a review of each pick, describe the player a little bit, their strengths and weaknesses, and then rate the pick based on several criteria...

1)quality of player
2)position drafted
3)needs of the team

With that in mind, I will now present to you the rest of the AFC East team's 2003 NFL draft picks

NY Jets

The NY Jets entered this draft with serious questions about the competency of the men running the operation. After loosing Coles and Morton to the Redskins Bradway had become a byword for incompetent. Well if there is one thing Bradway should be thankful for, its the Minnesota FO, who yet again entertained the football world with some draft day shenanigans. Obscuring the fact that he gave away the farm to move up in the draft to pick a very questionable prospect. If any one player has bust written all over him, it is Robertson, as he has never played up to a no.4 billing, and in the media circus that is NY, he will be doomed to fail as he can never live up to the Warren Sapp comparisons. Despite the obviously desperate trade up, the Jets had a fairly decent draft getting some gems, and taking some interesting shots at some less than traditional options. Draft Grade: C+

1 (4) Dewayne Robertson (DT): Kentucky, 6’1 3/8”, 317lbs, 4.86 40time
Player in the mold of Sapp; he’s quick and powerful, but absolutely a non-factor in college. Roberson wasn’t even good enough to demand an double team at any point in the season. In spite of his great 40 time he was entirely forgettable, and on our team board, was lower rated than every single DT taken in the first round. A big risk, and an entirely baffling phenomenon, as Robertson under-whelmed us with his technique and play recognition. A guy his size should have been more visible. Definite project pick. Pick Grade: D......MORE... (http://www.billszone.com/YourSite/global/templates/view.php?state=news&action=YourSite_content&month=4&nid=4991)

Dozerdog
04-30-2003, 07:11 AM
Dewayne Robertson sucks that bad?

Man you just made my day..:D

Tatonka
04-30-2003, 07:54 AM
nice write up.. yeah.. good to know about robertson..

i had read somewhere that the top 3 on our board were
McGahee
Newman
Robertson

but who knows the validity to any of the comments you hear after the draft.

HenryRules
04-30-2003, 07:55 AM
Another good review ... thanks again.

Your comment about Bollinger made me wonder, who were you suprised that went undrafted (not just limited to QB's)? I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered.

Romberg (the center from Miami) was my suprise. I know people don't project him well as a pro, but I still think that level of performance has to be worth at least a 7th round pick.

BillsFanInMass
04-30-2003, 07:57 AM
Yes any jets player sucks in my eyes accept cowart just joking

Ingtar33
04-30-2003, 04:17 PM
Romberg... he was a surprise... so was Kassem Osgood (and equally surprising that his buddy Tolver got drafted)... I was most surprised that Jason Gesser was undrafted... I thought that if anyone in college was the very image of a sleeper it was him. I think he was hurt by the fact he was hurt last year.