yordad
09-18-2008, 08:50 PM
I feel the same way..... pay Lee!

Confused
09-18-2008, 08:55 PM
Alvin Bowen or Draft?

Akhippo
09-18-2008, 09:50 PM
there are four linebackers with first round talent between USC and Ohio State. We can restock our linebackers like we did the backs last year.

Mitchell55
09-18-2008, 09:51 PM
there are four linebackers with first round talent between USC and Ohio State. We can restock our linebackers like we did the backs last year.

Hopefully we will be set for the next 4-5 years without worrying about signing them back.

ALL D
09-18-2008, 09:58 PM
It is like giving in to a hostage crisis...

Give in once and the floodgates will open...

LifetimeBillsFan
09-19-2008, 04:32 AM
I don't think that the Bills had any intention of re-signing Crowell before he pulled his last-minute "I'm having surgery, no I'm not" stunt.

There were no reports of the Bills talking with Crowell's agent about a new deal this past offseason. But, there were reports that the Bills weren't particularly happy with his play that came out before the end of the preseason.

Add to that the fact that the Bills have been able to stick two rookie LBs (Posluzny and Ellison) and an inexperienced 2nd year man into their starting lineup at LB the last two seasons with reasonably positive results and it is hard not to think that the Bills' coaches already had concluded that they could replace Crowell through the draft after this season before he decided to pull his stunt.

I just think that Crowell doing what he did was the last straw and really ticked Wilson off.

Personally, I think that Crowell seriously over-played his hand with what he did. I don't know if he did it because he really wanted to stay in Buffalo and thought that he could get the attention of the Bills' FO like Peters had or if it finally dawned on him that the Bills really weren't interested in him and were going to spend their money on trying to lock up Evans and Peters and he just wanted to try to hurt the organization as much as he possibly could. I don't know. But, I do think that what he did will not sit that well with a lot of teams around the league and, if the Bills keep him on IR for the whole season, it will hurt his value when he hits the free agent market.

No doubt Crowell will get a good contract when he signs with another team this coming off-season, but I don't think that he will get as much interest or the money/years that he would have gotten if he had played out this season with the Bills and had a good year.

I don't know if the plan was to try to groom Bowen this season to take over for Crowell or not. Bowen was the kind of productive, high-motor, over-achiever in college that the Bills' coaching staff seems to like a lot. Also, he has a bit of size, kind of in the mold of a K.Mitchell, which seems to be something that P.Fewell has discovered that he needs to have as he moves away from a strict Tampa 2 scheme to more of a hybrid-T-2 defense.

The Bills will have to draft a LB at some point in the next draft, but I think that what round they decide to take a LB will depend in great measure on what they really think of Bowen and what the MDs tell them about Bowen's prospects for a complete recovery.

Right now (and this obviously could change considerably), I would say that they will probably target a LB, C, and TE in the first three rounds of the next draft, with a QB being taken later on--unless a "can't miss" DE or playmaker falls to them in the first round.

Yasgur's Farm
09-19-2008, 06:07 AM
Right now (and this obviously could change considerably), I would say that they will probably target a LB, C, and TE in the first three rounds of the next draft, with a QB being taken later on--unless a "can't miss" DE or playmaker falls to them in the first round.
I agree!

I don't think that the Bills had any intention of re-signing Crowell before he pulled his last-minute "I'm having surgery, no I'm not" stunt.

There were no reports of the Bills talking with Crowell's agent about a new deal this past offseason. But, there were reports that the Bills weren't particularly happy with his play that came out before the end of the preseason.

Add to that the fact that the Bills have been able to stick two rookie LBs (Posluzny and Ellison) and an inexperienced 2nd year man into their starting lineup at LB the last two seasons with reasonably positive results and it is hard not to think that the Bills' coaches already had concluded that they could replace Crowell through the draft after this season before he decided to pull his stunt.

I just think that Crowell doing what he did was the last straw and really ticked Wilson off.

Personally, I think that Crowell seriously over-played his hand with what he did. I don't know if he did it because he really wanted to stay in Buffalo and thought that he could get the attention of the Bills' FO like Peters had or if it finally dawned on him that the Bills really weren't interested in him and were going to spend their money on trying to lock up Evans and Peters and he just wanted to try to hurt the organization as much as he possibly could. I don't know. But, I do think that what he did will not sit that well with a lot of teams around the league and, if the Bills keep him on IR for the whole season, it will hurt his value when he hits the free agent market.

No doubt Crowell will get a good contract when he signs with another team this coming off-season, but I don't think that he will get as much interest or the money/years that he would have gotten if he had played out this season with the Bills and had a good year.

I don't know if the plan was to try to groom Bowen this season to take over for Crowell or not. Bowen was the kind of productive, high-motor, over-achiever in college that the Bills' coaching staff seems to like a lot. Also, he has a bit of size, kind of in the mold of a K.Mitchell, which seems to be something that P.Fewell has discovered that he needs to have as he moves away from a strict Tampa 2 scheme to more of a hybrid-T-2 defense.

The Bills will have to draft a LB at some point in the next draft, but I think that what round they decide to take a LB will depend in great measure on what they really think of Bowen and what the MDs tell them about Bowen's prospects for a complete recovery.
I disagree. I think the Bills medical staff gave Crowell the red light on playing without surgery. That's why he pursued a second opinion... The Bills staff being the first.

Mitchy moo
09-19-2008, 06:18 AM
Crowell is replaceable, being hurt just made that a reality that much faster. Goodluck to him and his career.

RedEyE
09-19-2008, 07:03 AM
Ellis is a suitable replacement.

yordad
09-19-2008, 07:27 AM
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by LifetimeBillsFan
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Bingo

Ellis is a suitable replacement.huh?

RockStar36
09-19-2008, 07:29 AM
Before I read this thread I almost forgot that we were missing Crowell. I guess he doesn't make that much of a difference after all.

yordad
09-19-2008, 07:31 AM
Before I read this thread I almost forgot that we were missing Crowell. I guess he doesn't make that much of a difference after all.Well, if he was on the field, I think he would have.

patmoran2006
09-19-2008, 08:03 AM
Instead of reading only the Crowell section, read the whole piece.

SUlly is right.. Sign freegin Evans already, or is Wilson really up to to his his "old tight fisted ways" again?

OpIv37
09-19-2008, 08:05 AM
Ellis is a suitable replacement.

Ellis is a DE, Crowell is an LB. Did you mean Ellison?

I think Crowell is a big upgrade over Ellison.

That being said, I agree with Ralph. If we can only keep 2 of the 3, I'd rather keep Peters and Evans than Crowell. Nothing against Crowell because he's a solid player, but a solid LB is much easier to find than an elite LT and an above average WR.

RockStar36
09-19-2008, 08:48 AM
Instead of reading only the Crowell section, read the whole piece.

SUlly is right.. Sign freegin Evans already, or is Wilson really up to to his his "old tight fisted ways" again?

Do you realize there is a process to this? It isn't as simple as just opening the checkbook and signing his name. They have to negotiate and get the terms/money correct.

We aren't playing Madden here where you can just click sign the player and it's done.

Relax about Evans. They will get it done.