PDA

View Full Version : Ray Lucas hits the road

PA Season Ticket Holder
04-28-2003, 07:20 PM
I'm gonna miss him :(

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/MIA/6342250

DAVIE, Fla. (April 28, 2003) -- Quarterback Ray Lucas was released by the Miami Dolphins , a move that had been expected after he struggled filling in for injured starter Jay Fiedler last season.

The Dolphins were 5-1 when Fiedler was sidelined, then went 2-4 with Lucas as the starter.

Lucas' contract was terminated after he met with coach Dave Wannstedt.

"We still feel that Ray can be productive in this league, but we believe this move is in everyone's best interest," Wannstedt said. "This gives him time to try to start working as soon as possible with whatever team he winds up with."

The Dolphins plan to pursue Brian Griese as their backup quarterback. He's expected to be released June 1 by the Denver Broncos.

"Without mentioning any specific names, we feel there are some quality veteran quarterbacks who can help this football team," Wannstedt said. "We're confident that we will be able to add a quarterback like that to our roster before the start of training camp."

For now, Fiedler's backup is Sage Rosenfels , acquired last August in a trade with Washington.

Lucas, a seven-year veteran, completed 92 of 160 passes last season for 1,045 yards and four touchdowns. He threw six interceptions.

SoCalBillsFan
04-28-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by PA Season Ticket Holder
He threw six interceptions.

almost all against the Bills :snicker:

WCoastFin
04-28-2003, 09:15 PM
you know what this means.....well besides me feeling as happy as a free Iraqi,........No more free wins for Buffalo from Miami!

PA Season Ticket Holder
04-28-2003, 09:17 PM
Excuses

Fat Tony
04-28-2003, 09:21 PM
No more excuses for Miami

Billz_fan
04-28-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by WCoastFin
you know what this means.....well besides me feeling as happy as a free Iraqi,........No more free wins for Buffalo from Miami!

he makes it sound like the Bills picked Lucas to be the Dolphins backup QB :laughter:

ublinkwescore
04-28-2003, 10:08 PM
I heard Dallas was interested in him.

That's good to hear - provided Bill Parcells doesn't get the Lucas he had as coach of the Jets, and gets the new and 'improved' (for us) Lucas.

4thAndLong
04-29-2003, 08:38 PM
We should get him and switch Clements to WR.

Ingtar33
04-29-2003, 10:06 PM
wow... Clements has got to be upset... 2 games a year against Lucas would have put him in the probowl. :biggrin: