PDA

View Full Version : Sabres are filling out quite nicely

Dr. Lecter
09-19-2008, 07:35 AM
His size immediately gets your attention because, let’s face it, you don’t come across too many hockey players who are 6-foot-7. You see Tyler Myers and envision the dominant defenseman the Buffalo Sabres lacked for years. You see the next Zdeno Chara, the Boston Bruins’ giant who is two inches taller and among the NHL’s most imposing figures.

Sabres coach Lindy Ruff wasn’t so interested in discussing Myers’ size Thursday as he was the lack of it. Myers gained 15 pounds over the summer and still reported for rookie camp a skinny 215. The organization could save a few bucks if they faxed him home to Calgary when the time comes.

“You see a pretty smooth defenseman already,” Ruff said. “We knew he would have to put on weight. He’s already put on 15 pounds, and he still looks thin. You see little guys bounce him around a little, and you know that he needs to get stronger. But you say that about every young guy who comes to camp because they’re so young.”

You forget sometimes how young players are when they get their first taste of the NHL. Myers is only 18 years old, which makes him younger than half my wardrobe. He’s already a terrific skater and will get better as he develops. He’s tall without being awkward. If anything, he’s graceful and mobile, and he can travel halfway to Hamilton with one stride.

For now, the Sabres can do little more than marvel and wait until this big kid transforms into a bigger man.

“I’ve never seen a guy who was 6-7 and had feet like that,” Sabres assistant coach James Patrick said. “You don’t see any clumsiness. You don’t see him stumble. His passing is good. His vision is good. He’s going to get stronger. You can see it all.”

Story. (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/442738.html)

THATHURMANATOR
09-19-2008, 07:52 AM
I am excited for this kid but we won't be seeing him for a couple years!

RockStar36
09-19-2008, 08:00 AM
I am excited for this kid but we won't be seeing him for a couple years!

Mikey could go see him in Roches....oops, I forgot. Nevermind...

Meathead
09-19-2008, 09:09 AM
:lolpoint: amerks

Myers57
09-19-2008, 11:15 AM
I'm the exact opposite of this kid.

Awkward and Clumsy

Philagape
09-19-2008, 11:16 AM
I'm waiting for the inevitable photo of Gerbe and Myers standing back to back

rbochan
09-19-2008, 11:37 AM
I'm waiting for the inevitable photo of Gerbe and Myers standing back to back

http://www.lifeinthefastlane.ca/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/worlds_tallest_man_meets_worlds_shortest_man.jpg