PDA

View Full Version : LSU Tigers Season Long Thoughts

Devin
09-20-2008, 07:29 PM
After a string of hurricanes/storms, web outages and stupid college stuff I finally had a little time to talk some shop.

I will try every week or two to add notes, comments and thoughts about the Tigers here along with some thoughts on the rest of the SEC.

My Tigers started off the year strong, dont get me wrong two teams they did exactly what they were supposed to against but nonetheless given the QB mishaps pre-season I was happy to see the Bayou Bengals focused.

Tonight the Tigers are in the midst of a monumental game with Auburn, the first true test to gauge what the Tigers prospects might be this season.

Much like last year the Tigers will rely on a monsterous OL and a RB-by-army approach, using 3 sometimes 4 RB's to constantly keep fresh legs on the field. Charles Scott and Keiland Williams will likely shoulder most the load.

Unlike last year we are beyond green at QB, Andrew Hatch will be relied upon to manage the game not take it over. Through 2 games he's 17 of 31 for 202 yards a TD and 1 INT. Not bad but certainly nothing any opposing SEC teams will fear. I suspect a lot of 125-200 yard type games with some TD's and INT's sprinkled in. Unlike Jamarcus, Matt Flynn and even former Tiger QB Ryan Perriloux.....Hatch at least this season, will be a non-factor most games.

While I fully believe as the season progresses, especially with the level of competition in the SEC, Hatch will get better....this season I dont expect much.

Like RB the Tigers like to move the ball around at WR and TE, they use a lot of different targets and wont likely have a primary guy. Demetrius Byrd, and Brandon Lafell will likely by the "primary guys" in the sense they will see the field most often. Make no mistake the Tigers have fantastic skill players once again, however as long as they struggle at QB it will be harder for them to make plays.

I expect LSU has/will recruit heavily at QB next season, if they are able to retain some of thier top Jr's they will be a dangerous team next year.

A long history of defensive standouts wont stop anytime soon. LSU has managed the past 2 years to snag (I believe, DB correct me if I am wrong) 2 of the top CB prospects in the country.

They managed to keep a bunch of Jr's last year, I was actually pretty shocked a few of these guys didnt go pro. LSU as always has an exceptionally talented, very deep DL. That said they need to play better at least as far as getting to the QB.

LSU's D as a unit has played very well allowing only 16 points in almost 2 and 1/2 games thus far, LSU's secondary has been stellar and with Favorite, Beckwith, Tyson Jackson and Curtis Taylor leading this group I think they will help keep them in every game.

On special teams LSU has one of the better units in the country. Colt David is a solid kicker, and Trendon Holliday made the US Olympic team as a sprinter and is ridiculously fast. He has already returned a punt for a 92 yard TD this season.

All in all while I dont think we will be repeating as champs I do believe we have the talent, depth and coaching to remain in the top 10 most the season and quite possibly getting a BCS bowl game bid.

DraftBoy
09-21-2008, 11:10 AM
After a string of hurricanes/storms, web outages and stupid college stuff I finally had a little time to talk some shop.

I will try every week or two to add notes, comments and thoughts about the Tigers here along with some thoughts on the rest of the SEC.

My Tigers started off the year strong, dont get me wrong two teams they did exactly what they were supposed to against but nonetheless given the QB mishaps pre-season I was happy to see the Bayou Bengals focused.

Tonight the Tigers are in the midst of a monumental game with Auburn, the first true test to gauge what the Tigers prospects might be this season.

Much like last year the Tigers will rely on a monsterous OL and a RB-by-army approach, using 3 sometimes 4 RB's to constantly keep fresh legs on the field. Charles Scott and Keiland Williams will likely shoulder most the load.

Unlike last year we are beyond green at QB, Andrew Hatch will be relied upon to manage the game not take it over. Through 2 games he's 17 of 31 for 202 yards a TD and 1 INT. Not bad but certainly nothing any opposing SEC teams will fear. I suspect a lot of 125-200 yard type games with some TD's and INT's sprinkled in. Unlike Jamarcus, Matt Flynn and even former Tiger QB Ryan Perriloux.....Hatch at least this season, will be a non-factor most games.

While I fully believe as the season progresses, especially with the level of competition in the SEC, Hatch will get better....this season I dont expect much.

Like RB the Tigers like to move the ball around at WR and TE, they use a lot of different targets and wont likely have a primary guy. Demetrius Byrd, and Brandon Lafell will likely by the "primary guys" in the sense they will see the field most often. Make no mistake the Tigers have fantastic skill players once again, however as long as they struggle at QB it will be harder for them to make plays.

I expect LSU has/will recruit heavily at QB next season, if they are able to retain some of thier top Jr's they will be a dangerous team next year.

A long history of defensive standouts wont stop anytime soon. LSU has managed the past 2 years to snag (I believe, DB correct me if I am wrong) 2 of the top CB prospects in the country.

They managed to keep a bunch of Jr's last year, I was actually pretty shocked a few of these guys didnt go pro. LSU as always has an exceptionally talented, very deep DL. That said they need to play better at least as far as getting to the QB.

LSU's D as a unit has played very well allowing only 16 points in almost 2 and 1/2 games thus far, LSU's secondary has been stellar and with Favorite, Beckwith, Tyson Jackson and Curtis Taylor leading this group I think they will help keep them in every game.

On special teams LSU has one of the better units in the country. Colt David is a solid kicker, and Trendon Holliday made the US Olympic team as a sprinter and is ridiculously fast. He has already returned a punt for a 92 yard TD this season.

All in all while I dont think we will be repeating as champs I do believe we have the talent, depth and coaching to remain in the top 10 most the season and quite possibly getting a BCS bowl game bid.

The names you are looking for would be DB Patrick Johnson (Rivals #1 DB Class of 2008) and Stefoin Francois (#5 Safety class of 2007) or it could ATH Chad Jones (#1 Athlete class of 2007), who I think is now a safety for LSU, but not sure (Devin?).

Also on the QB front, last years top QB Jordan Jefferson was only a 3 star recruit but already this year they have a solid verbal commitment from the #1 Dual Threat QB in the nation in Russell Shepard from Houston, Texas. 6'1, 179, and runs a 4.4 40. He is a little undersized for the SEC, but he can make plays.