• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Anyone hear Schobel?

On NFL Countdown?

They had him mic'ed up against the Seahawks.

He basically kept saying over and over how he keeps falling all over the ground, doesn't have his speed anymore, on and on.

Until one point in the defensive huddle, he saying he keeps falling and isnt the same anymore to Mitchell, Mitchell responded "shut up".

Its an assumption but maybe Schobel isn't as quiet as we think, maybe he does alot of complaining and kills some of the positive vibe.

He has made the pro-bowl several times, but many argue his sacks come at garbage times.

Is Schobel a player like Crowell? Does he not have a good enough attitude or character?

Whats wrong with us drafting a DE really early, maybe even round 1? The media wont look at it as a sign to Schobel because they will likely say its to have a pass rush squad like the Giants to beat the Pats.

And then in a year or two, maybe Schobel is out of a job.

I was far from impressed with his comments. It really seemed like whining to me. And to the point where Mitchel (who has a SB pedigree and knows what it takes to win one) tells him to shut up.

Before today, I looked at OLB, and TE as ourt biggest needs, but I am eyeing other positions like DE, C, and G

After this, Im not so sure its not wise to go after a guy like Johnson, Hardy, or even Everrette Brown (if he declares).

• Lexwhat
    • Feb 2005

Re: Anyone hear Schobel?

I think this was posted a week ago or something, but it's all good.

Yes, I wanted to go DE in the 1st round THIS year! But since Harvey was already taken, the DE option was gone at #11.

I knew Schobel was gonna start losing it, and his contract extension was stupid, IMO. Either way, I'll give Schobel a chance now that Stroud is on the line with him. I still think he's overpaid though.

Comment

• X-Era
      What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Lexwhat
      I think this was posted a week ago or something, but it's all good.

Yes, I wanted to go DE in the 1st round THIS year! But since Harvey was already taken, the DE option was gone at #11.

I knew Schobel was gonna start losing it, and his contract extension was stupid, IMO. Either way, I'll give Schobel a chance now that Stroud is on the line with him. I still think he's overpaid though.
      Thats the next logical thought... With Stroud, Schobel should get between 8 and 12 sacks or we are overpaying.

Comment

• Mike13
        • Aug 2005

So does Schobel listen to emo music and whine about how no one understands him?

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
          My battery is low and it's getting dark.
          • Apr 2004

I was hoping they would bench him today after he was pushed out of almost all the running plays to his side and applied zero pressure on Russel. Please put Johnson, Copeland and Ellis in a rotation over there.

Comment

• CLo_in_Roch
            • Sep 2005

I think Schobel was complaining because Walter Jones was kicking his *ss that game. It seemed to me, he was doubting his abilities, but in the end he realizes he was playing against a great tackle. At the end of the "Mic'd Up" session, it shows him speaking with Jones and telling him he was the best he had to line up over.
            Don't cry for me, I'm already dead.

Comment

• Patti120
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by andyxc71
              I was hoping they would bench him today after he was pushed out of almost all the running plays to his side and applied zero pressure on Russel. Please put Johnson, Copeland and Ellis in a rotation over there.
              I'm just hoping that the b!tch steps his game up!!!

Comment

• DynaPaul
                • Sep 2003

He's been largely invisible and gets pushed wide a lot. Old Aaron really needs to step it up.

Comment

• TrentLeeLynch
                  • Sep 2008

Are you guys listening to what you guys are saying?! I mean seriously, put johnson, copeland, and ellis in a rotation over him? Really???

Unless you have a ridulously athletic guy that makes plays all over the field all day (not johnson, copeland, or ellis, uh duuuh) you dont just replace an experienced pro bowl guy.

Comment

• Crisis
                    • Aug 2004

schobel is the most overrated player on this team. mr invisible until garbage time.
                    Originally posted by LOSman WINS
                    Vanek is Austrian not European
                    Originally posted by Prov401
                    Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
                    Originally posted by better days
                    I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                      All-Pro Zoner
                      • Aug 2004

Three points that I think should be taken into consideration:

1.) Have any of you taken into consideration how wide P.Fewell had the DEs playing against Oakland? They were lining up outside of the OTs and, when the TE was on their side, the TE (Kelsay said he was in a "nine" technique on the forced fumble).

While lining up in that position has certain advantages: for a speed rusher it gives him space to manoever in and forces the OT to move his feet quickly to block him; it puts the DE in a position to keep the QB in the pocket and deny the "edge" to the RB on the sweep; and it creates openings and space for the LBs to blitz through. It also has its disadvantages: it gives the OT and TE leverage to simply turn the DE to the outside, away from the hole on running plays inside of the tackle making it difficult, if not impossible for him to get to the RB, and giving the DE a long way to go to get to the QB on the pass rush if he doesn't get past the blocker right away on the snap (Kelsay credited J.Russell for holding the ball so long for giving him the chance to cause the fumble).

Both DEs did a better job against the run in the second half--especially late in the game, turning the runners back into the middle where others made the tackle. Even if Schobel and Kelsay didn't make a lot of tackles, they did do a good job of denying the "edge" to the Raiders' RBs--where they gained a lot of their yardage against KC--in the game. I can't say for certain without seeing the game again, but I think that the improvement in the second half was, in part, due to the DEs not playing out quite so wide.

Also, Russell only threw the ball 3 times in the second half and was pressured on the last one (when he overthrew Curry).

2.) With Harvey gone before the Bills picked at # 11, the next highest rated DE on most draftniks boards was Chris Ellis. The Bills got him in the 3rd round. I have to believe that the Bills selected Ellis to groom him as a possible replacement for Schobel--or at the very least to develop into a regular part of their DE rotation.

Ellis is a player who has the potential to develop into a pretty good pass rusher, but needs to develop more moves and prove that he is a guy who will go all out every play. Additionally, like most rookies, he could benefit from spending a year in a NFL training regimen and getting stronger.

Ellis isn't a "sure-thing"--if he had been, he would have been a high first round draft pick--but don't automatically discount him on that account because he does have the potential to develop into a pretty good DE, if he works at it.

3.) Finally, top-flight DE prospects are at such a premium that the best of them end up being drafted in the Top 10 of the draft--often the Top 5 (see Mario Williams). That being the case, with the Bills winning, the odds of them being in a position to draft a top-tier DE prospect are greatly diminished.

If the Bills finish this season with enough wins to end up drafting in the latter half of the draft, they may find themselves looking at there only being Chris Ellis-type DE prospects remaining on the board. So, it may not be a case of the Bills not wanting to draft a potential replacement for Schobel at some point, but that the DE prospects available when they draft are guys who will require a year or two to develop and not be players who can step into the starting lineup right away.
                      Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by EdwardsEra
                        On NFL Countdown?

They had him mic'ed up against the Seahawks.

He basically kept saying over and over how he keeps falling all over the ground, doesn't have his speed anymore, on and on.

Until one point in the defensive huddle, he saying he keeps falling and isnt the same anymore to Mitchell, Mitchell responded "shut up".

Its an assumption but maybe Schobel isn't as quiet as we think, maybe he does alot of complaining and kills some of the positive vibe.

He has made the pro-bowl several times, but many argue his sacks come at garbage times.

Is Schobel a player like Crowell? Does he not have a good enough attitude or character?

Whats wrong with us drafting a DE really early, maybe even round 1? The media wont look at it as a sign to Schobel because they will likely say its to have a pass rush squad like the Giants to beat the Pats.

And then in a year or two, maybe Schobel is out of a job.

I was far from impressed with his comments. It really seemed like whining to me. And to the point where Mitchel (who has a SB pedigree and knows what it takes to win one) tells him to shut up.

Before today, I looked at OLB, and TE as ourt biggest needs, but I am eyeing other positions like DE, C, and G

After this, Im not so sure its not wise to go after a guy like Johnson, Hardy, or even Everrette Brown (if he declares).
                        I heard the whole thing yesterday and it made me sick. When your teammate is telling you to shut up your whinning than it's time to go.

Schobel sucks.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Crisis
                          schobel is the most overrated player on this team. mr invisible until garbage time.
                          yeah, he's so over rated that he practically beat Hansens record without a Bruce Smith opposite him. He's under rated by bills fans but overpaid IMO.
                          sacrifice1
                          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                          X