• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

This was a BIG BIG game

Anyone who has watched the Bills has seen teams that are playoff teams play like crap for 3 quarters and then still win against us.

Great teams win the close ones or win games when they are having a bad day.

Bad teams dont close out games where they are winning for 3 quarters.

Thats why, IMO, this game was a statement game for us. This was a game where the Raiders caught us sleeping and owned us through 3 quarters. We EASILY could have lost this game.

But good teams find a way to win and we did that.

We are officially 1 game up at least on the rest of the AFC East. That is NOT trivial.

I hope this game serves as a wakeup call to the Bills. If they think they can just "go through the motions" and win games they are very wrong.

I think they learned, today, that every game is a hard fought battle.

We have two road ames against teams that have the talent to beat us. A good team will win these games by coming out and making a statement early in the game. Lets see what we do.

3-0! Who would have thought.

• Agent007
    Veteran Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Re: This was a BIG BIG game

Well put.

Good teams do find a way to succeed and the Bills did just that.

Comment

• CUHATIN
      • Aug 2008

Yeah about time we win a close one!!!

Go Bills!!

CUHATIN (4) bunnerjk (4) syracuse76 (2)

Comment

• Voltron
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by CUHATIN
        Yeah about time we win a close one!!!

Go Bills!!
        Yeah a whole week!!!!
        Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything.
        - Frank Dane

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
        -Thomas Jefferson

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
        - Mark Twain

Comment

• TigerJ
          • Jul 2002

I agree that sometimes really good teams can have a stretch where the play really bad. The team cannot get comoplacent and just assume they are always going to be able to pull it out. Buffalo was fortunate again today. They played a great fourth quarter, but it was Bills miscues; penalties, turnovers, dropped balls etc. that made that comeback necessary.

I was impressed with Oakland's physicality. They were really beating on the Bills, winning the battle on the line of scrimmage most of the game. I think they will win some games this season even with All Davis keeping things dysfunctional.

I like that the Bills were able to make adjustments. I hope the next time they play a defense like Oakland's they will be able to handle it sooner.
          I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
            Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

I think we were looking past this game, too happy to be 2-0 at least for 3 quarters. Then reality struck and we woke up just in time.

A sign of a good team to come back from behind like we did. These are the games that we used to lose in the past few years.

Comment

• Don't Panic
              All-Pro Zoner
              • Dec 2005

The point of this thread is dead on... we won a game ugly, and I'd take that over losing pretty every time. It is September. Ugly wins are acceptable in September. Confidence is built, morale stays strong, mistakes can be highlighted and improved in a positive environment... it is all good. We will get sharper as the season goes on, and if we find ourselves in the heat of the playoff hunt in December, ugly wins like this will be priceless. And if this is as ugly as we're going to look, then the future is very, very bright.

Comment

• X-Era
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by bwbrenton
                The point of this thread is dead on... we won a game ugly, and I'd take that over losing pretty every time. It is September. Ugly wins are acceptable in September. Confidence is built, morale stays strong, mistakes can be highlighted and improved in a positive environment... it is all good. We will get sharper as the season goes on, and if we find ourselves in the heat of the playoff hunt in December, ugly wins like this will be priceless. And if this is as ugly as we're going to look, then the future is very, very bright.
                To me the next big thing to look at is divisional games.

The next two are important, but I honestly see us losing one of them. I of course hope we go 5 and 0 into the bye, but I think we lose one.

To me, I want to see us win the very very tough games against the Fins, Jets, but most of all Pats. The Fins proved they can be beaten, and I honestly feel they havent played a team as good as the Bills yet. If we want a good chance in the playoffs, we win our divisional games.

Comment

• Meathead
                  Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                  • Jul 2002

even jimbos sb bills teams had plenty of stinkers for three and a half quarters only to pull it out in the end

this team has a ways to go to show they are in that teams universe but with what they did today i cant help but draw comparisons to those great squads

when the game was on the line and their margin for error was tiny they were virtually perfect. they basically flipped a switch. you cant help but be impressed as hell with that
                  One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                    The Voice of Reason
                    • Jul 2007

While we were losing heading in to the 4th, I turned to my Dad at the bar and said "It's over isn't it?"

He looked at me, and with no expression on his face, said.

"The Bills will win, time running out, field goal. I haven't had this feeling in a really long time."

... Needless to say, he was right.

Hence why I love my dad/take his opinion in to place when I make my weekly picks.
                    Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• X-Era
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by HargroveforMVP
                      While we were losing heading in to the 4th, I turned to my Dad at the bar and said "It's over isn't it?"

"The Bills will win, time running out, field goal. I haven't had this feeling in a really long time."

Hence why I love my dad/take his opinion in to place when I make my weekly picks.
                      Interesting part is that I said right after the half that this game would come down to a big special teams play by us for a win.

Its not as mystical as it seems.

We have to be able to count on all three phases at some point.

For the past few years we had D and O that couldnt be counted on.

Now, we have all three that can win games for us, the Offense took a step toward proving that today with the Parrish and Lynch TD's.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                        Pinkerton's son
                        • Feb 2006

I think that our coaches are doing a good job of creating a gameplan and sticking to it. They wore down the Raiders pass rushers by pounding it early, and Burgess and the rest of them looked dead tired trying to get to Edwards at the end, and he took full advantage of the time.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                          Dances With Buffaloes
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by HargroveforMVP

My dad and i were talking on the phone during the 4th quarter. And my father who is not a "huge" football fan, but a very smart man... was real quiet while we were watching the 2nd Bills TD drive in the 4th, and he said "it's like I'm watching Jim Kelly again"

I wouldn't go there... yet. But I'm seeing glimmers in there. He looks like he's about where Jay Cutler was at the start of last season. Sometimes a little scatter shot... but with a good head on his shoulder.

Edwards has one more step to go before I'm ready to say he's going to be great... but he's already filled out my definition of good. (i need to see him start to throw it at areas of the field "trusting" the Wide Receiver will get open against a certain coverage)
                          My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• X-Era
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Ingtar33
                            My dad and i were talking on the phone during the 4th quarter. And my father who is not a "huge" football fan, but a very smart man... was real quiet while we were watching the 2nd Bills TD drive in the 4th, and he said "it's like I'm watching Jim Kelly again"

I wouldn't go there... yet. But I'm seeing glimmers in there. He looks like he's about where Jay Cutler was at the start of last season. Sometimes a little scatter shot... but with a good head on his shoulder.

Edwards has one more step to go before I'm ready to say he's going to be great... but he's already filled out my definition of good. (i need to see him start to throw it at areas of the field "trusting" the Wide Receiver will get open against a certain coverage)
                            WOW,

What would it take?

Well, for one thing, you need to see dominant wins against the leagues best. Not once, but repeatedly. By dominant, I dont mean with a huge yard, td, or score advantage. What I mean is a palatable feeling of confidence thats transposes to consistent scoring and/or plays from the QB to keep us in games.

He has to drag his team to wins at times. Thats a big difference from players who just "manage" games. I have heard people here say they dont want one of the best QB's in the league, they want QB's who dont lose games for us and just manage them. Thats all well and good, but you cant then call Edwards a stud.

I think your dad commented on how Edwards has and can look like a very good/great QB. But consistency is what proves that long term. Do it against NE. Do it in a big playoff game. But yes, we can check off doing it in a game on the line game, at least for one check. Again, do it time and time again.

No, I still dont have a belief that Trent will win the game for us. But I have growing faith that he can. To me belief takes proving it many, many times.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                              Peterman Sucks!
                              • Mar 2006

This team is starting to come over and mature before our eyes.

The last two games are games last year we would have lost.

We've turned that corner and have learned how to close out games and win.

It's been a long time coming!

Comment

Working...
                              X