PDA

View Full Version : Donte Whitner's End Zone Tackle

CLo_in_Roch
09-21-2008, 06:30 PM
It cost us penalty yards, but what do you think? Unnecessary? Or the thing to do "message wise" to the Raiders and the rest of the Bills?

yordad
09-21-2008, 06:33 PM
Unnecessary. It was a bone headed frustration penalty. On the bright side, that wasn't his assignment, and he did hustle.

Dr. Pepper
09-21-2008, 06:33 PM
i was happy he did it then, and im happy he did it now.

dude brings fire.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-21-2008, 06:34 PM
This is the new Bills attitude in display. Taunting us? Not here, Not Now.

And I like it!

hydro
09-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Opiv must be salivating at the thought of talking about that bonehead play. I do like the message it sent.

The Spaz
09-21-2008, 06:35 PM
He wasn't going to let a game named "Johnny Lee" taunt us in our house.

Mitchy moo
09-21-2008, 06:38 PM
Offsetting penalties, so it cost us 0.

shawn
09-21-2008, 06:39 PM
I don't know how any Bills fan could be upset with the late hit. I loved it!!

VeggieMan14
09-21-2008, 06:40 PM
i loved it... tell me that didn't fire our team up nobody comes into buffalo acting like they own the place NOBODY

Cntrygal
09-21-2008, 06:42 PM
It was great that he didn't give up on the play - despite being easily outran. But the tackle was unnecessary and he shouldn't have done it.

Lucky that there was an offsetting penalty.

yordad
09-21-2008, 06:44 PM
I don't even think the WR did enough to deserve the taunting penalty.

Still not as bad as last week when I seen a defender get draw offsides and lose 15 yards for hitting the O-lineman that moved.

YardRat
09-21-2008, 06:47 PM
Unnecessary, but I still like Whitner's attitude.

Pride
09-21-2008, 06:48 PM
That to me was a "don't **** with us in our house" type of statement. I am ok with it.

SABuffalo786
09-21-2008, 06:49 PM
Loved it, put that ****ing punk in his place and then we ****ed them on the last play of the game.

The Spaz
09-21-2008, 07:00 PM
WHY DONTE MADE END ZONE TACKLE: The tackle five yards deep in the end zone that Donte Whitner made on Johnnie Lee Higgins was done for a reason. Whitner felt Higgins was showing him up by coasting to the end zone.

"The guy was taunting at the end and that's why I went ahead and took him down in the end zone," said Whitner.

Basically it was a situation where he wasn't going to be shown up on his home field. Personally I don't blame him.

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

Buffalogic
09-21-2008, 07:01 PM
I liked it.

BAM
09-21-2008, 07:02 PM
I absolutely love the thought behind it but that could've hurt us in regards to field position. Luckily there were offsetting penalties so I had no problem with it.

Crisis
09-21-2008, 07:05 PM
i love the swagger.

no one does that **** in our house.

donte is the ****ing man. i dont even care if there weren't offsetting penalties ill take the 15 yards

VeggieMan14
09-21-2008, 07:05 PM
After all the **** wilson was givin reed and the higgins showboating like that i wish donte woulda nocked him out

imbondz
09-21-2008, 07:07 PM
That to me was a "don't **** with us in our house" type of statement. I am ok with it.

agreed. He was taunting Whitner the last 15 yards into the endzone.

PECKERWOOD
09-21-2008, 07:08 PM
Moral of the story: Don't taunt at the end of the play because you can get smacked in the jaw and made a fool of.

I jumped to my feet and cheered Whitner when it happened.

camelcowboy
09-21-2008, 07:15 PM
The way Oakland was behaving I'm glad Donte sent them a message.

VeggieMan14
09-21-2008, 07:28 PM
Moral of the story: Don't taunt at the end of the play because you can get smacked in the jaw and made a fool of.

I jumped to my feet and cheered Whitner when it happened.Moral of the story is no one messes with Donte Whitner or else hes gonna lay your ass on the stretcher next chance he gets

Saratoga Slim
09-21-2008, 07:44 PM
I liked it when it happened, I hate cocky little ****s like Johnnie Lee Higgins. That said, I do hope that Whitner did some sort of pre-hit mental calculation about what it would cost us. Tight game like that, you don't want to see anyone taking an unnecessary penalty based on pure emotion.

casdhf
09-21-2008, 07:46 PM
It would have been better if he drove him into the goal post, but I'll live with that.

Meathead
09-21-2008, 07:53 PM
i like the reason but the act itself was stupid. at that point youre fighting for every yard and your margin for error is tiny. dont handicap your team another fifteen yards for pride. he and we were very lucky they called the ball carrier too

Borosai
09-21-2008, 07:53 PM
When it happened, I was happy to see Whitner stand up for himself and the team (in a way), but I immediately thought of how it would add to the starting field position woes of the day. Fortunately nothing happened, and because of that, I love it. :D:

HHURRICANE
09-21-2008, 07:56 PM
It cost us penalty yards, but what do you think? Unnecessary? Or the thing to do "message wise" to the Raiders and the rest of the Bills?

Great play and set the tone for us winning the game.

I loved it!!!

Mr. Miyagi
09-21-2008, 07:56 PM
I agree. Whitner plays with fire and isn't afraid to send the message out. It said "I'll take a 15 yard penalty but I'm gonna hurt you first."

Tatonka
09-21-2008, 07:59 PM
at first i thought he jumped on the back of his legs.. but in watching the highligh.. it wasnt a dirty type hit.. he just waist tackled the guy from behind and knocked the ball out..

i am totally ok with it.. **** higgins and the raiders.. and anyone else that wants to do some dumb **** like that.

Crisis
09-21-2008, 08:04 PM
seriously.

this is the type of attitude that is giving the never say die attitude the team has right now.

no one is gonna come into OUR house and going to embarass us, i love having a player who takes pride in being part of this team and the fact that he did it without intent to injure just to send a message - say what you want about whitner's play but the guy is a leader.

it's about time some buffalo bills showed some heart and left it all out on the field.

EricStratton
09-21-2008, 08:10 PM
Considering it was a TD the yardage penalty would be no big deal. If they kick off from the 50 he kicks it out of the EZ and we start at the 20 so it would have only been a 5-10 yard deal.

capitolneal
09-21-2008, 08:12 PM
taunting was the dance afterword correct? I liked the fire but that could of cost us if the raiders weren't equally as stupid

dasaybz
09-21-2008, 08:13 PM
I think it was pretty irrelevant.

Michael82
09-21-2008, 08:20 PM
I totally agree with you! :hi5:

ZacGriffi~82
09-21-2008, 09:01 PM
Loved it.

OpIv37
09-21-2008, 09:38 PM
And the Whitner love-fest continues.

The guy took a stupid penalty that cost his team penalty yards in a tight game, and everyone is praising his "attitude"? Give me a ****ing break. If some Oakland punk did that to Lynch or Evans- even if they were taunting- this board would be on fire slamming the guy.

Making statements is fine- just do it in a way that doesn't negatively affect what happens on the field.

And Whitner should have made that tackle anyway. Maybe it wasn't his assignment, but he was still in a position to catch the guy after the reception and he couldn't get over there in time. Players don't get to stop playing and go "oh well- not my assignment."

This was yet another mediocre performance from Whitner. He made one or two tackles in the run game- that was it. The only thing I saw him do that was positive was run up and say things to some of the other players- it looked like he may have been changing the coverage up a little bit. And that was before the snap, not during the play.

Whitner's been nothing but mediocre since he got here, but so many people on this site slobbers over him like he's Bob Sanders. It's ridiculous.

OpIv37
09-21-2008, 09:40 PM
Here's a thought, Donte: Try making the ****ing tackle ON THE FIELD BEFORE THE GUY SCORES 6 POINTS!

That would make a much better statement- ie, "you have no reason to taunt because your sorry ass can't score on us."

Dr. Lecter
09-21-2008, 09:45 PM
Nobody slobbers on him like he is Bob Sanders.

You keep using that comparison, but it simply is not true because nobody does that.

BTW, I am in the minority, but the penalty was dumb. I was the only one in my group at the game that thought so too.

camelcowboy
Here's a thought, Donte: Try making the ****ing tackle ON THE FIELD BEFORE THE GUY SCORES 6 POINTS!

That would make a much better statement- ie, "you have no reason to taunt because your sorry ass can't score on us." buzz kill

LABillsFan
I was driving back to LA from the Bay area, listening to the Raiders post game show. They had Higgins on and asked him if he taunted Whitner. Higgins said, ( pretty close to an exact quote) no I didn't taunt him, I just said look how many yards you're behind me.

FlyingDutchman
09-21-2008, 09:48 PM
they hit the seam well on that pass play OP. they got beat, it happens.

camelcowboy
09-21-2008, 09:48 PM

You keep using that comparison, but it simply is not true because nobody does that.

BTW, I am in the minority, but the penalty was dumb. I was the only one in my group at the game that thought so too.
why, their Saftey punched reed in the face. They started taking liberties with us so he took care of it.

BidsJr
09-21-2008, 09:49 PM

That would make a much better statement- ie, "you have no reason to taunt because your sorry ass can't score on us."

Here's a thought, BILLS WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

STHU.

FlyingDutchman
09-21-2008, 09:50 PM
seemed to fire up the team

LABillsFan
Remember Lofton running into the endzone backwards in the 51-3 game against Oak in that Playoff game?

hydro
I would rather have a guy that plays 16 games a year than the fragile Bob Sanders who averages 10 games a season. The guy is on the injured list too much for my tastes.

EricStratton
09-21-2008, 09:51 PM

No one slobbers like he's Bob Sanders because Bob Sanders is hurt everyday.

It's easier to slobber over a guy who's on the field.

OpIv37
09-21-2008, 10:17 PM
Here's a thought, BILLS WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

STHU.

So, nothing matters as long as we win? That's pure ignorance. I guess everyone *****ing about Peters or Evans should just STHU too.

Win or lose, players are still accountable for their actions on the field.

OpIv37
09-21-2008, 10:19 PM
they hit the seam well on that pass play OP. they got beat, it happens.

fair enough.

But what I hate is that the guy got beat and then commits a penalty, then everyone talks about how he did the right thing and how they love his "statement."

I don't understand why Whitner seems to be above criticism on this board. Even when he makes a mistake (actually, two mistakes), certain people find a way to pretend it's a positive.

EricStratton
09-21-2008, 10:22 PM
Because the play was a TD it wouldn't have realistically cost the team yards. Worst case it's 5-10 yards on the run back.

OpIv37
09-21-2008, 10:30 PM
Because the play was a TD it wouldn't have realistically cost the team yards. Worst case it's 5-10 yards on the run back.

It's still yards. It's still unnecessary.

Whitner wants to make statements? Well, he should do it with his play rather than by running his mouth to the media and committing penalties.

Donte's 2008 stat line:

Tackles : 17
Passes Defensed: 1
Big hits: 0
Sacks: 0
Interceptions: 0
Forced Fumbles: 0
Personal Fouls: 1
Statements: 2

The guy has as many personal fouls as he does passes defensed, big hits, interceptions, and forced fumbles COMBINED.

Dr. Lecter
09-21-2008, 10:36 PM
Actually the personal foul will not show up in his stat line since their were offsetting penalties.

And how are "big hits" defined? Is it an official stat? Because he blew one of the RB's today on a swing pass.

Ingtar33
09-21-2008, 10:42 PM
I would have patted Donte on the back had he done that on my team. Then in front of the team ripped him a new one (after the game).

It's your house. You can't let teams show you up in it.

OpIv37
09-21-2008, 10:42 PM
Actually the personal foul will not show up in his stat line since their were offsetting penalties.

And how are "big hits" defined? Is it an official stat? Because he blew one of the RB's today on a swing pass.

It's not an official stat- that one's my opinion. Feel free to throw it out if you like- it doesn't change the point that he has as many penalties as big plays.

He did make a few tackles on the RB's today but none of them were big hits.

OpIv37
09-21-2008, 10:43 PM
I would have patted Donte on the back had he done that on my team. Then in front of the team ripped him a new one (after the game).

It's your house. You can't let teams show you up in it.

How about not letting them show you up by not allowing an 84 yard touchdown in the first friggin place?

TheBrownBear
09-21-2008, 11:26 PM
I like it. And I ultimately thought it helped us win. It fired up the D and they did what they needed to do on the next series.

buffalony85
09-21-2008, 11:29 PM
It didn't cost us anything so what does it matter?

Ingtar33
09-21-2008, 11:32 PM
How about not letting them show you up by not allowing an 84 yard touchdown in the first friggin place?

there are two teams on the field. and while you can try to prevent big plays... they happen sometimes.

you make it sound like the bills wanted them have a big play. Besides, why the anger for Whitner?

He wasn't in coverage, and he didn't take the bad line that let the man spring free (Poz and Simpson)

He didn't give up on the play. while the rest of the team did. That is heart. you could tell he was ******off; and when the WR started to showboat a little, he let him have it. Good for Donte.

yordad
09-21-2008, 11:33 PM
WHY DONTE MADE END ZONE TACKLE: The tackle five yards deep in the end zone that Donte Whitner made on Johnnie Lee Higgins was done for a reason. Whitner felt Higgins was showing him up by coasting to the end zone.

"The guy was taunting at the end and that's why I went ahead and took him down in the end zone," said Whitner.

Basically it was a situation where he wasn't going to be shown up on his home field. Personally I don't blame him.

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1
I prefer our players make statements that appear in the score. Chris Brown isn't a reporter.

LtFinFan66
09-22-2008, 01:20 AM
I don't consider looking back to see where the defender is taunting. Yes he could have run full speed all the way in but it wasn;t taunting

Historian
09-22-2008, 04:49 AM

I agree with pride.

Liken it to TD messing with the star in Dallas.

LtFinFan66
09-22-2008, 04:53 AM
Not even close in comparison

Romes
09-22-2008, 04:55 AM
I would have liked to have hit him myself.

Historian
09-22-2008, 04:55 AM
Same exact thing...and the refs agreed.

Romes
09-22-2008, 04:58 AM
Looking back isn't the problem it is slowing down to make it close when you know the guy is closing in.

It wasn't the worst case of taunting but I think it still was taunting.

LtFinFan66
09-22-2008, 05:04 AM
Same exact thing...and the refs agreed.I saw a guy slowing down and looking back to see where the defender was. Unless i was watching a different play, then you are wrong. He wasn't holding the ball out towards your guy or anything? Unless he was taunting via talking which I would not have seen

Dr. Lecter
09-22-2008, 05:57 AM
It's not an official stat- that one's my opinion. Feel free to throw it out if you like- it doesn't change the point that he has as many penalties as big plays.

He did make a few tackles on the RB's today but none of them were big hits.

Quite honestly, your objectivity on Whitner is questionable.

I understand you think people defend him toomuch, but you go way overboard.

RedEyE
09-22-2008, 07:09 AM
Op has despised Whitner since week 1 of his rookie year.

2006 Fiesta bowl:

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/teamlogos/ncaa/sml/trans/87.gif (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/clubhouse?teamId=87)(9) Notre Dame 20, http://assets.espn.go.com/i/teamlogos/ncaa/sml/trans/194.gif (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/clubhouse?teamId=194)(4) Ohio State 34
<!-- button nav --><SCRIPT src="http://assets.espn.go.com/profile/lib/prototype-1.5.1.1-packer.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>Preview (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview?gameId=260020194) Recap (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=260020194) Box Score (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=260020194) Play-by-Play (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/playbyplay?gameId=260020194) Drive Chart (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/drivechart?gameId=260020194) Conversation (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/conversation?gameId=260020194)
<!-- end button nav --><TABLE class=linescore cellSpacing=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=team colSpan=2></TD><TD class=period>1</TD><TD class=period>2</TD><TD class=period>3</TD><TD class=period>4</TD><TD class=total>T</TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">#9</TD><TD class=team>ND (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/clubhouse?teamId=87) (9-3)</TD><TD>7</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>6</TD><TD>7</TD><TD class=ts>20</TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">#4</TD><TD class=team>OHST (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/clubhouse?teamId=194) (10-2)</TD><TD>7</TD><TD>14</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>10</TD><TD class=ts>34</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Final

4:30 PM ET, January 2, 2006
Sun Devil Stadium,
Tempe, AZ

lordofgun
09-22-2008, 07:22 AM
I thought it was a weak tackle. If you want to send a statement, hit him harder.

mysticsoto
09-22-2008, 07:27 AM

Op, even the analysts on WGR were agreeing that Whitner probably did the right thing. Football is not all stats and yards...there is a great deal of emotion that comes into play that can fire or deflate players. Whitner stood up for the Bills and chased the guy down. His fire may have been what finally got the team energized in the end...like Ingtar said, you can't let someone else come to our house and show you up. I'd have to go back and see it again, but if it indeed wasn't Whitner's man to begin with, then what you said above is irrelevant - atleast as it pertains to Whitner.

Every good team has an emotional leader that fires everyone up. Right now, Donte appears to fill that role for our team and that may be something you dismiss b'cse of your irrational dislike of him, but it is an important role that perhaps you should give credit for!

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
09-22-2008, 07:31 AM
I have three points here:

1) This is football, not golf. If another player is showboating, you smack them in the mouth, and live with the consequences. Is it going to cost you some yards? Maybe. Is it going to set the tone? Probably. Is it necessary? Absolutely.

2) The Raiders were penalized for the showboating after the score, not for slowing down during the score. The team celebration in the endzone was the issue.

3) Whitner has not accumulated many stats so far this year in part because we haven't played a team with a strong passing attack yet. You could make a valid point that our entire secondary has not been seriously tested yet.

OpIv37
09-22-2008, 08:13 AM
there are two teams on the field. and while you can try to prevent big plays... they happen sometimes.

you make it sound like the bills wanted them have a big play. Besides, why the anger for Whitner?

He wasn't in coverage, and he didn't take the bad line that let the man spring free (Poz and Simpson)

He didn't give up on the play. while the rest of the team did. That is heart. you could tell he was ******off; and when the WR started to showboat a little, he let him have it. Good for Donte.

:rolleyes:

This crap drives me nuts. The guy makes a crappy play and he gets credit for having "heart." No matter what Whitner does, everyone on this board finds a way to make him look good. It's nauseating.

I want to see people complimenting him for his PLAY ON THE FIELD rather than all this other crap.

Dr. Lecter
09-22-2008, 08:13 AM
I do have one question for Op:

Why do you want (sometimes) for Sabres players to start a fight to get the team motivated even if they have to be shorthanded? You have said (more than once) that sometimes taking penalties is necessary to stand up for you and your team.

How is this different, except for Whitner being involved?

OpIv37
09-22-2008, 08:15 AM
Op, even the analysts on WGR were agreeing that Whitner probably did the right thing. Football is not all stats and yards...there is a great deal of emotion that comes into play that can fire or deflate players. Whitner stood up for the Bills and chased the guy down. His fire may have been what finally got the team energized in the end...like Ingtar said, you can't let someone else come to our house and show you up. I'd have to go back and see it again, but if it indeed wasn't Whitner's man to begin with, then what you said above is irrelevant - atleast as it pertains to Whitner.

Every good team has an emotional leader that fires everyone up. Right now, Donte appears to fill that role for our team and that may be something you dismiss b'cse of your irrational dislike of him, but it is an important role that perhaps you should give credit for!

I'm not sure but I don't think it was Whitner's man. Still, he was close enough to get over there and make the tackle and he couldn't.

And I don't dismiss Whitner's leadership- I dismiss his PLAY because it's mediocre at best, yet this board keeps drooling over him for "leadership" or "statements" or things that AREN'T RELATED to his mediocre play. All that leadership stuff is great but he should lead through his play as well.

And my "irrational dislike" of Whitner is neither irrational nor dislike. I am holding him accountable for his play on the field, which has been mediocre. What is irrational is the way everyone else just ignores his mediocre play because of the other things he does.

The Spaz
09-22-2008, 08:18 AM
My god Higgins got past Poz, Simpson yet Whitner is solely responsible for letting him go for a TD? Whitner is the only one that ran all the way down the field after him

HHURRICANE
09-22-2008, 08:19 AM
:rolleyes:

This crap drives me nuts. The guy makes a crappy play and he gets credit for having "heart." No matter what Whitner does, everyone on this board finds a way to make him look good. It's nauseating.

I want to see people complimenting him for his PLAY ON THE FIELD rather than all this other crap.

Whitner will never play up to his #8 pick status. Never. So get over it.

However, the tackle set the tone. I personally loved it. The dividend that it will pay down the road can't be measured on this site. Maybe it led to 3 and out and us getting the ball back in time for the game winning field goal.

The play was missed by Poz, Simpson and Whitner. Whitner never gave up even after he knew it was a TD. That's the kind of heart that this team has been missing.

OpIv37
09-22-2008, 08:22 AM
My god Higgins got past Poz, Simpson yet Whitner is solely responsible for letting him go for a TD? Whitner is the only one that ran all the way down the field after him

where the HELL did you get that?

I never said that.

Whitner IS solely responsible for the penalty, and he and Simpson both should have made the tackle on Higgins. Yes, it was more Simpson's fault than Whitner's, but Whitner still should have been able to make the play.

I forgot- nothing is EVER Whitner's fault on this board. It's always "the DL isn't getting pressure" or "he has to help the front 7 with the run" or more recently "the QB never throws in his direction." There is a laundry list of excuses for this guy and it's ridiculous. What is it about him that NO ONE ever wants to blame him when he screws up?

Speaking of making plays, when exactly was the last time Whitner made a play- any play whatsoever- in the passing game?

OpIv37
09-22-2008, 08:22 AM
Whitner will never play up to his #8 pick status. Never. So get over it.

However, the tackle set the tone. I personally loved it. The dividend that it will pay down the road can't be measured on this site. Maybe it led to 3 and out and us getting the ball back in time for the game winning field goal.

The play was missed by Poz, Simpson and Whitner. Whitner never gave up even after he knew it was a TD. That's the kind of heart that this team has been missing.

making the play before it's a TD is the kind of talent this team's been missing.

OpIv37
09-22-2008, 08:25 AM
I do have one question for Op:

Why do you want (sometimes) for Sabres players to start a fight to get the team motivated even if they have to be shorthanded? You have said (more than once) that sometimes taking penalties is necessary to stand up for you and your team.

How is this different, except for Whitner being involved?

Football isn't hockey and fighting in hockey is offsetting penalties. We already had penalty yards and Whitner pissed them away. Those penalties I talk about in hockey PREVENT injuries in the long run, like that cheap shot on Tallinder by Philly. In hockey, the other team becomes less willing to take those cheap shots if they know there are consequences.

What Whitner did was all about talk- no one was in danger of being hurt.

The situations aren't the same at all. Nice try though.

Dr. Lecter
09-22-2008, 08:26 AM
I don't think many players in the league could have made the play in Whitner's spot. His position on the field was too far away and at a bad angle. Had he made it would have been a spectacular play.

Pinkerton Security
09-22-2008, 08:26 AM
I'm not sure but I don't think it was Whitner's man. Still, he was close enough to get over there and make the tackle and he couldn't.

And I don't dismiss Whitner's leadership- I dismiss his PLAY because it's mediocre at best, yet this board keeps drooling over him for "leadership" or "statements" or things that AREN'T RELATED to his mediocre play. All that leadership stuff is great but he should lead through his play as well.

And my "irrational dislike" of Whitner is neither irrational nor dislike. I am holding him accountable for his play on the field, which has been mediocre. What is irrational is the way everyone else just ignores his mediocre play because of the other things he does.

It was not ONLY Donte's assignment, in fact it was probably Poz's fault that the pass was completed at all. Also, Higgins is one of the fastest guys in the league. I know Whitner is no world-class sprinter, so I did not expect him to even come close. But he tried his damndest to catch him and when he couldnt catch him and thought he was being taunted, he reacted in a way many of us would: with anger. Its nice to at least so some fire and emotion from our players, because if you play with no agression or anger you'll be stepped on by the other team.

Dr. Lecter
09-22-2008, 08:29 AM
Football isn't hockey and fighting in hockey is offsetting penalties. We already had penalty yards and Whitner pissed them away. Those penalties I talk about in hockey PREVENT injuries in the long run, like that cheap shot on Tallinder by Philly. In hockey, the other team becomes less willing to take those cheap shots if they know there are consequences.

What Whitner did was all about talk- no one was in danger of being hurt.

The situations aren't the same at all. Nice try though.

Fighting is not always offsetting. There is an instigator rule.

And, if instigating penalties is a defense, you just gave Whitner one. There were offsetting penalties on the play.

OpIv37
09-22-2008, 08:32 AM
It was not ONLY Donte's assignment, in fact it was probably Poz's fault that the pass was completed at all. Also, Higgins is one of the fastest guys in the league. I know Whitner is no world-class sprinter, so I did not expect him to even come close. But he tried his damndest to catch him and when he couldnt catch him and thought he was being taunted, he reacted in a way many of us would: with anger. Its nice to at least so some fire and emotion from our players, because if you play with no agression or anger you'll be stepped on by the other team.

So, he didn't make the play but that's OK cuz it was Poz's responsibility and Higgins is fast? Then he lost his cool and took a stupid penalty, but it's OK because it showed fire and emotion?

These are just more excuses for Whitner's play.

HHURRICANE
09-22-2008, 08:33 AM
making the play before it's a TD is the kind of talent this team's been missing.

I watched the 90s Bills make mistakes like this as well. You aren't going to stop every play. The Bills limited a team that ran for 300 yards last week to less than 100 yatds this week. That's not good?

OpIv37
09-22-2008, 08:34 AM
Fighting is not always offsetting. There is an instigator rule.

And, if instigating penalties is a defense, you just gave Whitner one. There were offsetting penalties on the play.

And? The point is those penalties in hockey are standing up for players PHYSICALLY so they don't get hurt by cheap shots later on. This one was all talk. Whitner hit the guy cuz the guy called him names.

OpIv37
09-22-2008, 08:35 AM
I watched the 90s Bills make mistakes like this as well. You aren't going to stop every play. The Bills limited a team that ran for 300 yards last week to less than 100 yatds this week. That's not good?

It's good enough to beat the Raiders- not a better team.

Pinkerton Security
09-22-2008, 08:35 AM
So, he didn't make the play but that's OK cuz it was Poz's responsibility and Higgins is fast? Then he lost his cool and took a stupid penalty, but it's OK because it showed fire and emotion?

These are just more excuses for Whitner's play.

you're just placing in inordinate amount of blame (at least earlier in the thread) on Whitner for not making a play when it would have been astounding to see him do anything on the play, when in fact it was Poz's fault. Was it stupid? Maybe. Was it something he did out of pride and anger? Definitely. Is it better than letting someone taunt you on your home field? Most definitely. Were his teammates thanksful? I would bet on it.

TigerJ
09-22-2008, 09:12 AM
The Oakland player also had a penalty called for his taunting, which is why Whitner pursued him into the end zone and tackled him. He didn't like being the object of the taunting. Perhaps had Whitner not tackled the guy Oakland would still have been penalized. That would have se Buffalo up for a big return, but then, maybe because Whitner did commit the penalty the official felt more obligated to call the penalty for taunting too.

LifetimeBillsFan
09-22-2008, 11:07 AM
There is a part of me that applauds Whitner for doing what he did--it is something that I might have done had I been in that situation (and did do in a similar situation back in the day). And, yeah, it was a statement that you want to have made for your team and might have fired up the rest of the team.

But, that having been said, objectively, it was a stupid thing to do.

What no one has mentioned so far is that Whitner very easily could have been ejected from the game for doing what he did.

There was no guarantee that the ref would penalize Oakland for taunting that would offset the roughing call. Moreover, tackling a guy five yards deep in the end zone after he has easily scored isn't just "roughing", it is a deliberate act that could easily have been considered egregious enough for the referee to decide that it merited an ejection in addition to a 15 yard penalty on the ensuing kickoff.

Certainly the roughing penalty, if it had not been offset by a taunting call, might have simply resulted in Oakland kicking the ball through the end zone, giving the Bills offense its drive start at the 20. But, it also could very well have resulted in a very high, short kickoff that would have pinned the Bills deep in there territory--forcing the offense to take more time and risks to move down the field. That could have made a comeback much tougher to accomplish.

And, yes, Bryan Scott could have stepped in for Whitner on defense and done a creditable job. But, Whitner is one of the emotional leaders of the defense and that leadership would have been missing. Perhaps others could have stepped up into that role, but perhaps they would not have. Also, Whitner was in there, throwing his body around on the Raiders last two running plays, even though he didn't make the tackle. Would Scott have done the same? And, perhaps most importantly, if you noticed, except for one ball, when the Raiders threw the ball deep, they threw the ball to Simpson's side of the field (even the pass to Higgins, who was lined up in the slot in front of Simpson and broke to the middle of the field, where Poz said, after the game, that he made a mistake in coverage and missed knocking down the pass). With Scott in the game, would Russell have tried making a different throw than the one that he made when he overthrew Curry on 3rd down? We don't know.

Whatever you think of him, Whitner is the starter over Scott for a reason and, if the ref had chosen to throw Whitner out of the game for his hit on Higgins, the Bills would have had to try to stop Oakland and get the ball back without their starting strong safety in the game. And, that could have made a difference.

As a team leader it is important to make statements for your team. But, it is also important to be smart as well. And, risking putting your offense in a big hole and getting yourself thrown out of the game when your team is trying to make a comeback from a big deficit in the game is not the smart thing to do. It's really just that simple.

So, yeah, it's probably something that I would have done (definitely something that a guy like C.Bednarik would have done)--although I would have tried to hit Higgins harder--and I can fully understand and appreciate what Whitner was trying to do and why he did it. But, that doesn't make it a smart play or the right thing to do in that situation. IMHO, it was a stupid risk to take and Whitner is just very lucky that he was able to get away with it without hurting the team.

mysticsoto
09-22-2008, 11:13 AM
I personally don't think it was that big of a deal. Whitner did not do anything worth getting ejected. Tackling that late is an unsportmanslike conduct penalty - not an ejection from the game. He didn't throw a punch at the guy or do anything deserving of being thrown out of the game. He simply tackled him late trying to make a statement. Period. If that's what it takes to get his teammates fired up and makes them play better afterward - then I'm all for it.

Dr. Pepper
09-22-2008, 01:11 PM
Jim Rome was just talking about it. Says he loved what Whitner did, and that it was a completely different scenario from the unsportsmanlike conduct in the Chicago/Tampa game which he referred to as one of the biggest bonehead plays ever.