PDA

View Full Version : Bills lead league in stopping 3rd downs!

Coach Sal
09-21-2008, 10:03 PM
Our opponents have had 39 3rd down opportunities and only converted 7 of them!

THAT'S ONLY 18% CONVERSIONS ALLOWED!!

Good for tops in the NFL (BAL is 2nd at 19%).

That's a sick number. Wanna know how sick? Typically the team that leads the league at the end of the season is around 30% allowed.

Yes, it's still early and no doubt that % will rise, but this stat is a HUGE reason for being 3-0 right now.

And oh, by the way, next week's opponent, St. Louis, is LAST in offensive 3rd down conversion percentage at 22%. So, if we come to play, that number could actually go even lower.

BADTHINGSMAN
09-21-2008, 10:05 PM
Thats pretty damn good.

Bling
09-21-2008, 10:07 PM
lol

The Spaz
09-21-2008, 10:07 PM
lol

Lol what?

THE END OF ALL DAYS
09-21-2008, 10:08 PM
:trance:well this is how all the thundersmack talk started last week on how we'd beatdown the raiders and look what happened.

stats are fun to look at, but dont mean diddly squat on the field

EricStratton
09-21-2008, 10:10 PM
Great find Sal. Getting off the field is key for any defense.

Coach Sal
09-21-2008, 10:11 PM
:trance:well this is how all the thundersmack talk started last week on how we'd beatdown the raiders and look what happened.

If you think stating a factual statistic is "smack talk" you need to go back to the playground to get an education on it.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
09-21-2008, 10:18 PM
If you think stating a factual statistic is "smack talk" you need to go back to the playground to get an education on it.

relax coach, dont take everything as an insult :)
I'm just saying that last week all the stat machines were running on about how we should crush the raiders... stats dont equal wins.

why does this forum always sound like a freaking 3rd grade class and people cant just talk without taking offense to a comment?

Meathead
09-21-2008, 10:24 PM
well you smell like cow pee

gr8slayer
09-21-2008, 10:25 PM
Do you happen to have the stats on how we are at converting on 3rd?

Meathead
09-21-2008, 10:27 PM
hey that is an awesome stat, and of course you gotta give big props to the defense

but if you have confidence in statistical normalization its also troubling in that to get that number back to something more realistic the bills are bound to have a few games where they couldnt stop a cripple with a gunshot wound on third downs

so in a weird way i cant help hoping they get it all out in one blowout loss. now i just have to obsess which team its going to come against

LABillsFan
09-21-2008, 10:31 PM

I was going to ask the same thing. 38%

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2008&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

Dr. Lecter
09-21-2008, 10:34 PM

Seattle - 4/16 (25%)
Jax - 6/11 (54%)
Oakland - 5/12 (41%)

Total - 15/39 (38%)

Their worst game was the opener.

gr8slayer
09-21-2008, 10:35 PM
Seattle - 4/16 (25%)
Jax - 6/11 (54%)
Oakland - 5/12 (41%)

Total - 15/39 (38%)

Their worst game was the opener.
:meh: not bad I suppose, could be better.

Thanks Doc.

OpIv37
09-21-2008, 10:35 PM

ha- I was just thinking the exact same thing. If we could improve at converting 3rd downs on O, then this team could really go somewhere.

Ingtar33
09-21-2008, 10:44 PM
- 3rd down conversion number is a product of your run Defense (or running game) more then anything else.

our run defense has been pretty good this year; most of those 3rd down conversion attempts by the opposition have been 7+ yards.

Bling
09-21-2008, 11:16 PM
lol Stats like this are fun and all, but do they really tell how well your is playing? I'm sure there are Super Bowl teams with mediocre 3rd down stopping percentages.

gr8slayer
09-21-2008, 11:19 PM
lol Stats like this are fun and all, but do they really tell how well your is playing? I'm sure there are Super Bowl teams with mediocre 3rd down stopping percentages.
It's great that you've been virtually non-existent to this point, your team finally wins a game and now you show up.

Bling
09-21-2008, 11:30 PM
It's great that you've been virtually non-existent to this point, your team finally wins a game and now you show up.

lol. Tell a lie enough times, and it becomes truth.

Dr. Lecter
09-22-2008, 05:53 AM

I would venture to guess that this stat is more significant than most, but would have to do some research.

Captain Obvious
09-22-2008, 08:16 AM

Heres a stat thats shows how well the Bills are playing... 3-0

BlackMetalNinja
09-22-2008, 08:21 AM
lol. Tell a lie enough times, and it becomes truth.I've got a stat that's true all day long:

In the last 22 games:

Dolphins: 2-20
Bills: 11-11

Head to Head Record:
Bills: 3-0

I really can't understand for the life of me why you'd be talking **** right now Bling.

Bling
09-22-2008, 09:32 AM
I've got a stat that's true all day long:

In the last 22 games:

Dolphins: 2-20
Bills: 11-11

Head to Head Record:
Bills: 3-0

I really can't understand for the life of me why you'd be talking **** right now Bling.

I'm suppose to quit talking **** because my team sucks? That's how it works?

I don't understand why you're letting me getting under your skin.

parrishlynchevans
09-22-2008, 09:36 AM
Except they reflect what happened on the field? :confused:

Bling
09-22-2008, 09:37 AM
I would venture to guess that this stat is more significant than most, but would have to do some research.

Probably has some interesting point to it.

Although here are the top ten teams from 2007:
1. Kansas City Chiefs
2. Chicago Bears
3. GB
4. NE
5. New York Giants
6. Washington Redskins
7. Baltimore Ravens
8. Cleveland Browns
9. Atlanta Falcons
10. Philadelphia Eagles

A good mix. You got three of the four teams that were in the final four. You also have the 3rd and 4th overall draft teams. The rest are teams that were middle of the road. Interesting.

BlackMetalNinja
09-22-2008, 09:49 AM
I'm suppose to quit talking **** because my team sucks? That's how it works?

I don't understand why you're letting me getting under your skin.You really think you're bothering me... I just think it's hilarious that you're spouting off after your team won it's 2nd game in 22 tries.

parrishlynchevans
09-22-2008, 09:51 AM
You really think you're bothering me... I just think it's hilarious that you're spouting off after your team won it's 2nd game in 22 tries.

Bling is just jealous that our team is the first team in quite some time to be solely in 1st place in the AFCE.

justasportsfan
09-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Awesome win Bling. THanks for showing our coaches what to do when we play you. Hope you're ready for a fish fry.

parrishlynchevans
09-22-2008, 10:02 AM
No one in the AFC East is beating us. Expect an undefeated division record.

justasportsfan
09-22-2008, 10:04 AM
No one in the AFC East is beating us. Expect an undefeated division record.
whoa! Slow down there buddy. We've been lucky so far that we've played injured teams. Let's not get too ahead of ourselves. Until we actually beat the Pats, they are still favored to beat us.

LifetimeBillsFan
09-22-2008, 10:07 AM
While stats can really be misleading at this stage of the season because it is so early, this one represents a huge turnaround for the Bills' defense--which finished at the bottom of the league in this category the last couple of years.

The conversion percentage for the offense also represents a pretty good improvement in thsi area as well, although there is plenty of room for improvement here as well. The Bills running game really hasn't been very good so far this season, but should improve as the season progresses. If it does, the team's percentage of conversions in this area should improve as well.

What this defensive stat proves to me, however, is that the Bills defense has taken it upon itself to get off the field and get the breaks that it needs--which is something that it hasn't done in recent years. Instead of relying on the offense to hold the ball in order for the defense to get some rest, the defense is making its own rest breaks for itself first. (And, the offense is giving them longer breaks now by improving its third down conversions.)

parrishlynchevans
09-22-2008, 10:09 AM
whoa! Slow down there buddy. We've been lucky so far that we've played injured teams. Let's not get too ahead of ourselves. Until we actually beat the Pats, they are still favored to beat us.

Ok, 5-1 division record haha. And I don't care if they were injured, playoff teams still win those games. That's all that matters.

PECKERWOOD
09-22-2008, 10:31 AM

I'd say 3-0 is a good reflection upon this statistic.

Mitchy moo
09-22-2008, 10:36 AM
ha- I was just thinking the exact same thing. If we could improve at converting 3rd downs on O, then this team could really go somewhere.

Like 3-0 or something or 1st place in the AFC east / AFC.