PDA

View Full Version : Kiffin Not Using The 2 Time Outs He Had Left

Night Train
09-22-2008, 05:21 AM
Makes me think he's eyeing the Syracuse job and sticking it to Al Davis.

The Raiders should have had a full minute left, after the Lindell FG.

Meathead
09-22-2008, 05:32 AM
he said he didnt want to give the bills extra time to prepare to get even closer thus making the fg easier. he wanted to keep the kick as long as possible to increase the chances it would miss

given that the offense generally has the advantage after very late timeouts in that situation, his logic isnt necessarily bad

dannyek71
09-22-2008, 07:03 AM
And then if he used them, and gave the bills more play and marshawn ran one into the endzone/got them even closer using this extra time that he had, then he would have looked great right?

mysticsoto
09-22-2008, 07:33 AM

I, too, felt he was sticking it to Al Davis. Which was odd b'cse a friend of mine had told me that the team really likes Kiffin...so I'd be surprised if he sacrificed this loss for his team simply to stick it to him. And yet, I really don't see a reasonable explanation for not calling the TOs. You know your team is only down a field goal and once we got in field goal range he needed to start calling them - period.

Had Jauron done something like that, I'd still be swearing and fuming at it!!!

RedEyE
09-22-2008, 07:34 AM
Kiffin was too busy siging his walking papers to notice.

imbondz
09-22-2008, 07:37 AM
I thought it was an excellent coaching decision.

Night Train
09-22-2008, 07:54 AM
I thought it was an excellent coaching decision.
:rofl: :up:

mysticsoto
09-22-2008, 08:05 AM
I seriously think he did it on purpose to push the issue. Al Davis has to pay him his remaining contract if he fires him:

It appears the Lane Kiffin experiment in Oakland may really be over this time ... no, really ... seriously.

Kiffin has been informed by Raiders officials that Al Davis intends to remove him as the team's head coach as early as Monday, FOXSports.com has learned.

Davis blamed Kiffin for the Raiders' 24-23 loss on Sunday to the Bills, and told his underlings that he will make the move on Monday. However, word was leaked out last week in a similar fashion and Kiffin survived. Players reached out to FOXSports.com to express hope that the move would not be made, and with Davis you can never be certain.

Kiffin reportedly has been on bad terms with Davis since shortly after last season. Sources said that when Kiffin informed Davis of coaching changes he wanted to make, the owner actually sent word to those coaches that the head coach was looking to make a move, but that Davis would protect them.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8593236/Sources:-Raiders

Pinkerton Security
09-22-2008, 08:40 AM
good! I hope they fire Greg Robinson immediately following the official announcement of Kiffin's firing, and then within the hour announce that Kiffin has been hired as the new HC of the Cuse!

SabreEleven
09-22-2008, 08:43 AM
Judging by the way the Raiders played yesterday, Kiffin doesn't deserved to be fired.

Pinkerton Security
09-22-2008, 08:48 AM
Judging by the way the Raiders played yesterday, Kiffin doesn't deserved to be fired.

except they collapsed in the end? up by 9 with 6 minutes, you SHOULD win. they played very well in the first half, and pretty poorly when it counted.

Philagape
09-22-2008, 08:52 AM
I don't think it was the right decision. No possibility had a greater chance of success for the Bills than Lindell inside the 30, so Oakland should have used the TOs after the Bills got to the OAK 32 ... although thanks to Lynch, it wouldn't have worked anyway.
After the next play to the 24 for a first down, it was too late. All the Bills had to do then was hold onto the ball.

LifetimeBillsFan
09-22-2008, 09:24 AM
Given the way that Higgins had gotten loose on the opening kickoff, I think that he had to use his timeouts once the Bills got inside the 35 to try to preserve enough time to at least force the Bills, who hadn't consistently run the ball that well during the game, to kick the ball off after kicking a FG.

With the way Lynch ended up running the ball, the Bills still might have been able to run down the clock, but Kiffin should have at least tried to give his team one last chance to score. Even if there was only one second left on the clock, with Higgins' speed, the Raiders would have had a chance to at least try to break him loose again.

As a HC, I would want to at least try to give my team that chance and I think that Kiffin should have taken a shot at doing that.

As far as Kiffin coaching Syracuse goes, I don't care who it is, but the Orange have to bring in a big-time coach to replace Robinson after this season--whether it is Kiffin or someone else. If they don't do that, they run the risk of becoming irrelevant as a college football program. Which would be a real shame for such a storied program.

If Syracuse brings in a new HC with a big enough reputation, he may be able to take advantage of the impact that the move "The Express" has on some prospects to attract some top-flight talent to the program. Start winning with that talent and more will follow.

BillsOwnAll
09-22-2008, 09:28 AM
Not to mention lindell hit his last 40 inside 40 yards.

pintonick96
09-22-2008, 09:38 AM
I heard he tried to call a timeout right before Lindell's kick but called it too late

Bling
09-22-2008, 09:40 AM
The game got rigged?

PECKERWOOD
09-22-2008, 09:50 AM
I actually like Kiffin, not his fault Davis is a scumbag.

mysticsoto
09-22-2008, 11:33 AM
Per rotoworld:

Wide receivers coach James Lofton is the leading candidate to take over as the Raiders' interim head coach, according to NFL Network's Adam Schefter.
Al Davis put Lofton on the staff in February and head coach Lane Kiffin had to find out about his new position coach through a third party. At that time, there were rumblings that Lofton would replace Kiffin during the offseason. It took longer than expected because Kiffin wouldn't resign, but now it appears Lofton will get his chance. Kiffin's firing is expected this afternoon.

patmoran2006
09-22-2008, 11:35 AM
Yeah.
I was going to say I'd be shocked if he's not fired today, deservedly or not.

Night Train
09-22-2008, 11:47 AM
good! I hope they fire Greg Robinson immediately following the official announcement of Kiffin's firing, and then within the hour announce that Kiffin has been hired as the new HC of the Cuse!

Watch it happen soon.

Ebenezer
09-22-2008, 12:27 PM

he basically looked at Al Davis and said "fire me sucker...how does that feel". And I am happy for him.