PDA

View Full Version : Arizona's First-round picks ready to justify draft position

Gunzlingr
04-29-2003, 08:26 AM
TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) -- The Arizona Cardinals trotted out Bryant Johnson and Calvin Pace on Monday, and both were ready to take on critics of their first-round draft status.

Since the Cardinals took Johnson, a Penn State wide receiver, and Pace, a defensive end from Wake Forest, with the 17th and 18th picks Saturday, the choices have been raked as everything from poor to disastrous for a team that must replace its three top receivers and develop a bona fide pass rusher.

Part of the reaction stemmed from Arizona's decision to trade the No. 6 selection in the draft for New Orleans' two picks lower in the round.

Terrell Suggs, who set an NCAA record with 24 sacks for Arizona State last season, was available there.

"As soon as I got picked, it kind of hit me," Pace said. "Like, 'You know, the place is going to be in a little bit of an uproar because Terrell Suggs is local there.' I'm not taking anything away from his talent; he's a great player, and I acknowledge that. But you've got to look at me and say I'm second to none.

more (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/news/2003/04/29/cardinals_draft_ap/)