PDA

View Full Version : Monday's Bills PC

madness
09-23-2008, 09:41 AM
From bb.com/wireless

WIDE RECEIVER LEE EVANS<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Monday, September 22, 2008
<o:p></o:p>
On when he felt there was a rhythm established between he and Trent Edwards<o:p></o:p>
Well, I think the plays that were made are ones that we were comfortable with throwing those routes. They were routes that we work on all of the time, over the middle, and I think Trent (Edwards) is very comfortable with those routes, finding guys in coverage, making guys miss in the pocket so I think he really got into a rhythm. The offensive line gave him a lot of time back there and he was able to be a little bit mobile when he had to and delivered the ball. Especially in those last couple of drives, you could see a lot of different guys in different places making plays.<o:p></o:p>
On Trent Edwards not looking like a 12-game starter quarterback<o:p></o:p>
You certainly don’t expect it but you look at what he’s done this off-season. I think he’s prepared himself to be as good as he could possibly be and yesterday was a clear example of that.<o:p></o:p>
On what he sees from Trent Edwards that makes him a quarterback that rises to the occasion<o:p></o:p>
Composure. I think he held his composure even through rough times in the game when things weren’t really going our way, he held his composure. He kept looking at what they were doing to us. They were switching things up and he just continued to play and he came through. I think the biggest thing for him is his composure and his ability to handle the pressure situations.<o:p></o:p>
On if the team is reflecting Coach Jauron’s ‘even-keeled emotions’<o:p></o:p>
We felt that way because we felt we made a lot of mistakes upon ourselves to put us in the hole that we were in. I think when you look back on it, at halftime it was a sense of we just have to play. We have to play like we know how to play and not that we have to do this or that and people pointing fingers. It was just let’s just go out, play, execute the plays that were called and good things will happen.<o:p></o:p>
On if he had a chance to look at the AFC East standings even though it is early in the season<o:p></o:p>
It is and like you said, it’s early but it’s good to win football games. All we can do is control what’s in this locker room here and then go game-by-game. We’ll get a chance to play those guys down the road but for right now, we have to focus on winning football games and letting the chips fall as they may.<o:p></o:p>
On if he is allowing himself to enjoy the 3-0 start<o:p></o:p>
No doubt. You have to enjoy it and I think that’s one of the things you learn coming up in this league is that it’s hard to get wins in this league. And when you get them, you have to enjoy them. You can’t take them for granted. We’re certainly enjoying this and when the preparation for the next team starts then that’s kind of when the celebration is done.<o:p></o:p>
On Marshawn Lynch’s performance and his ability to run hard all game<o:p></o:p>
Especially at the end of the game, and he ran hard all game even fighting through some pain and things like that. He finished the game off very strong. I think when he kind of gets in his little mode, he’s a guy that’s hard to stop.<o:p></o:p>

madness
09-23-2008, 09:42 AM
SAFETY DONTE WHITNER<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Monday, September 22, 2008<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
On the improvement of the third-down defense:<o:p></o:p>
We emphasize it every day, even when we were in OTAs and minicamp. That was one of our big things, was getting off of the field on third down. Even last year, we did a good on job first and second down, but third down, we couldn’t get off of the football field, so going into this season, it was big emphasis on it, and it paid off. Guys really understand that they are only going to run so many routes or get so many yards on third down. They don’t want to take a chance of getting your quarterback hit or things like that so we’re really picking up on schemes, learning what teams are trying to do to us and we’re doing a good job of getting off of the field.<o:p></o:p>
On being in first place:<o:p></o:p>
We still have work to do. We had a lot of mistakes in the game we just played, but we came out with the win. We are in first place in our division now and we’ll start our schedule within our division and we’ll see where it goes.<o:p></o:p>
On how the defense has been consistent through three weeks:<o:p></o:p>
Marcus (Stroud), he adds to that and Kyle (Williams) has been playing very well. When you have guys that can take two guys in the running game, it makes it easier on the eighth guy in the box, which is usually the safety or those backers in there. They can just run through the gaps and they don’t have to fight off offensive linemen, where you see a lot of tackles in the backfield. Tackles for loss, which makes teams throw the football on third down, or throw the ball on second-and-long, and that’s why the running game has been doing so well. We put emphasis on stopping the run, also, and making teams one-dimensional. <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Oakland</st1:place></st1:City> was a good running football team. They had 300 yards the week before. They’re going to continue to run the football in this league with those three backs that they have back there and they’re going to continue to rack up yards, so I think going out there and holding them under 100 is a very good thing.<o:p></o:p>
On if he’s been in the defensive box less in the first three weeks:<o:p></o:p>
Yeah, I feel great. My body feels great now. Last year, the past two years, days after the game I’d be extremely sore, taking on a lot of guards, tackles, fullbacks, and just being the eighth man in the box. Now, we can put seven in the box and stop the run and leave some of the defensive backs back there. That’s why you haven’t seen a lot of big plays in the secondary, because we don’t have to add that eighth guy in the box and let them know that we’re single coverage on the outside, so just throw deep balls or hitches and let it go for 50, 60 yards. Everything is working together.<o:p></o:p>
On watching Trent Edwards execute in the fourth quarter the past two weeks:<o:p></o:p>
It’s beautiful, we love it. Trent (Edwards) is a fearless leader. He shows that. When a lot of other quarterbacks will fold in the fourth quarter with that type of pressure on him, and he gets better, that’s when you know you have a winner. That’s how you know you have a good football team is when you face adversity, can you win? Can you come out of an adverse situation and win that game, no matter what happens, how many turnovers you have, no matter what goes on for the first three quarters, can you come out of adverse situations and win that game? We showed that yesterday and I think it’s a stepping stone of what we’re trying to build and what we’re going to continue to build.<o:p></o:p>
He gives you a chance. And now knowing that in any situation, no matter what it is, he can come back and get the job done. For the defense, that just lets you know that you can go out there and pin your ears back a little bit and not have to worry about giving up big plays or giving up touchdowns, because you have a quarterback that you know can lead you down the football field and score.<o:p></o:p>
On if that was born out of what the team went through last year:<o:p></o:p>
A lot of it. Guys learned, you grow up very quickly. Even with Marshawn and Trent last year, they were thrown right in the fire. J.P. (Losman) went down game one, Trent was thrown in there. When you have guys that you’re building around and want to be the cornerstones of your offense, you have to get them in there early, because this is not a wait-around league. You have to get the young guys out there to play and win as soon as possible nowadays in the NFL. We had to do that last year, and they did a great job. We still muscled out 7-9 with a rookie quarterback and a rookie in the backfield and having a lot of injuries. I think it comes from last year.<o:p></o:p>

madness
09-23-2008, 09:43 AM
OFFENSIVE LINEMAN JASON PETERS<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Monday, September 22, 2008
On how he played yesterday<o:p></o:p>
I felt real good out there yesterday. I went 76 to 78 plays and I felt good.<o:p></o:p>
On how he graded out on film<o:p></o:p>
I felt like I could take away three maybe four (plays) that I could take back. Overall, I did okay but you’re never going to have a perfect game.<o:p></o:p>
On how far away in his opinion he is from being in the form he would like to be<o:p></o:p>
About another week. In another week I’ll be back to 100 percent every play, getting ready to go.<o:p></o:p>
On what the biggest challenge is for him trying to play without having a lot of time to prepare<o:p></o:p>
Just getting your body ready to go and go 100 percent every play. Obviously, the other guys are in great condition and you just have to get yourself prepared and ready to go.<o:p></o:p>
On what he feels the biggest obstacle is for him to overcome<o:p></o:p>
For me, it’s physical. Just getting my body in shape. The mental part comes.<o:p></o:p>
On Trent Edwards executing when it matters most and knowing he will stand in the pocket to make a pass while expecting a hit<o:p></o:p>
It’s real satisfying. I know Trent (Edwards) is going to deliver the ball to the receivers and it’s my job and the rest of the offensive line’s job to give him time. And he’s going to deliver.<o:p></o:p>
On how much respect a quarterback earns when he takes a hit<o:p></o:p>
It takes a real gutsy quarterback to stand in there when he knows he’s going to get hit and to hang in there to deliver the pass that’s on the money like Trent did a couple of times yesterday, so I tip my hat to him.<o:p></o:p>
On what change was made in the fourth quarter that allowed them to move the ball <o:p></o:p>
I think we wore them down. Their defensive line was tired. We were in better shape than they were. We just wore them down in the fourth quarter.<o:p></o:p>
On if there has been a challenge to picking up on Offensive Coordinator Turk Schonert’s offense<o:p></o:p>
None. It’s a big difference but I had one mental error in two weeks that I’ve been here. It hasn’t been much of a difference for me picking it up. I had one mental error in two games.<o:p></o:p>
On what the mental error was<o:p></o:p>
It was backside cutoff. I blocked the end instead of going up to block the safety. It didn’t affect the play but it was a mental error. <o:p></o:p>
On the challenge of maintaining a high level of play that he sets for himself <o:p></o:p>
When I hit the field, I’m a competitor. And me playing left tackle really doesn’t have anything to do with it. I just like to compete and that’s my position so I want to be the best at that. When I step out there at left tackle, that’s what I want to be <o:p></o:p>

madness
09-23-2008, 09:44 AM
HEAD COACH DICK JAURON - 9/22

HEAD COACH DICK JAURON<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Monday, September, 22, 2008<o:p></o:p>
Opening statement:<o:p></o:p>
It hasn’t changed. It was a terrific victory, and our fans played a big part in it. They kept the team going and we kept them going. We made enough plays to keep them in it and it was a factor at the end of the game.<o:p></o:p>
On the improvement of the third-down defense from last year to this year:<o:p></o:p>
I think, to start with, we’re a year older. Our guys are a year more experienced. We’ve added some people, obviously. The scheme has changed a little bit, but certainly not significantly. Perry (Fewell) and the defensive staff have tweaked it, and we’ve gotten some breaks, that’s always a good thing, but the guys have played hard. I thought our pressure has been pretty good, pretty consistently good, and our coverage has been, I think, probably tighter than it was a year ago. All of those things factor in, and then as we’ve talked about before, third down is obviously set up by those other two. And you have to be good on first and second if you’re going to have good numbers on third.<o:p></o:p>
On if it was frustrating last year to play well on first and second downs, only to give up yards on third:<o:p></o:p>
It probably was in that regard, in the third down conversions. You count on winning the long-yardage ones. You know the stats, you know how it works over the years and if you can force them in there, the odds are with you, and we just weren’t hitting the numbers.<o:p></o:p>
On if being in first place in the AFC East is very significant: <o:p></o:p>
Well, yeah. You’d certainly rather be 3-0 than 0-3. It is really early, though. We just have to keep playing. I think the significance is that we’ve won three games at the start of the season and that’s a big plus. We’ve talked about it before, the fast start is good, but you just have to play through the whole thing. It’s a long year.<o:p></o:p>
On holding the Raiders to field goals instead of touchdowns:<o:p></o:p>
It’s always huge. Unfortunately, I can’t remember the opponent, and I should, but <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Indianapolis</st1:place></st1:City> two weeks ago when they won their first game, it was a five field goal game for their opponent and it just keeps you in it. If you can just keep playing and play every down and keep them out of your end zone in terms of touchdowns, you just have a chance. So the guys did a terrific job. I thought, to start the game and have our fans all revved up, and we were all fired up and then to have that long return, that was a downer for everybody. To have our defense stop them and make them kick the field goal, that was huge for us to start the game. I know one of the best things about sport is attitude and momentum and all of those things. They are a factor in games, there’s no way around it, so that was big.<o:p></o:p>
On having a seven-man front versus an eight-man front against the run on defense:<o:p></o:p>
Yesterday, with the Raiders coming off of that huge rushing game against the Chiefs, when you put 300 yards on anybody in our league, that was a huge challenge, and our guys met the challenge, they did a nice job. We, like everybody else, we play a significant amount of eight-man front and I think Perry does an outstanding job of mixing it and keeping the offenses guessing as much as you can in our league. However you play it, the offenses are sophisticated enough to spread you out enough that everybody’s got to stay in their gaps and control their gap, and it’s not an easy thing to do. The Raiders did a terrific job of cutting. They’re good up front, they’ve cut their opponents prior to us, and they cut us, too. Our guys have done a nice job, a disciplined job, and Perry’s called a great game.<o:p></o:p>
On if he expects different looks from opponents because they’ve been so successful:<o:p></o:p>
I don’t think so. I’m not sure that people can do a lot more than they’re doing. Everybody’s going to run somewhat similar plays. You’re going to see reverses and you’re going to see what we call the flip play off of the dive. You’re going to see all of those things over the course of the year and you just have to keep playing fast and disciplined.<o:p></o:p>
On the difficulties Jason Peters is being faced with, jumping in to the regular season:<o:p></o:p>
Well, it’s kind of amazing, really. It’s his second week of training camp, actually less than that because we practice a lot more in training camp than we have now to get ready for games. Jason (Peters) has played very well. He’s had a couple bad plays. Unfortunately, the bad plays hurt us, but other than that, he’s played pretty dominant football with very little practice. Our feeling is that he’s just going to get better as we move along.<o:p></o:p>
We kind of said it all week, they were a very, very talented football team, and I thought a well-conceived game plan, and they executed well. They have speed in their pass rush, they have size, they have a good scheme and they do an outstanding job. I’m certainly not disappointed in Jason in particular, really our offensive line, or our football team.<o:p></o:p>
On pulling out a victory where in the past, there may have been a loss:<o:p></o:p>
I don’t know that it says a whole lot more than what we started off with. It’s always great to win. It’s very, very hard to win in this league. It’s just hard to win a game because anybody you play is going to be capable of beating you and you’ve got to play at a high level. We just have to keep doing kit, keep preparing and keep playing hard and when they make a play, and you know they’re going to make plays, because these guys are good, they’re all good. There’s going to be some plays made, you just have to regroup and leave it behind and go to the next one and keep fighting, because you don’t know what’s going to happen. And yesterday was a great example. Guys just kept fighting. Both of those locker rooms were filled with tired players after that game. They played hard and we played hard. We just made one more play and that’s what it took.<o:p></o:p>
On what he noticed from Trent Edwards in engineering another come-from-behind victory:<o:p></o:p>
I think more familiarity with his receivers, his teammates and the whole offense working together. That’s what you sense. The spots he throws the ball to, how he puts it in, the feeling that they have, they’re all really just starting to get the feelings that will keep developing and a feel for each other on the field and those kinds of things. When you start, you talk about putting in a route and how it’s run, but it’s very individual. Two guys don’t run the route exactly the same way. It takes time, I would say that. Of course, every time he plays another down, it’s a little more experience. Other than that, it’s all of the same stuff. He’s very calm, but he’s very competitive. He likes being out there, he likes the challenge, and you can tell he does. He’s got some talented teammates that can make plays. There are a number of them out there. Twenty-three, 83, what can you say about Marshawn Lynch yesterday? What can you say about Josh (Reed)? He just fought. Jason, he just fought. The whole team, you feel bad if you leave anybody out, but they’re not bad and they’re getting better.<o:p></o:p>
On the <st1:City w:st="on">Miami</st1:City> Dolphins beating the <st1:place w:st="on">New England</st1:place> Patriots and what that means to the AFC East:<o:p></o:p>
You know, we don’t play either one of them for awhile, so I don’t make much of it. It’s so early in the year. I’ve said all along that our division is a tough division. I think everybody improved. I certainly didn’t see the Patriots take any steps backwards, talking about going into the year, and here we are. I think it’s going to be a fight all year. We don’t play them for awhile and all I know is that we play <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">St. Louis</st1:place></st1:City> this week. After that, I don’t have any idea who we’re playing, so we have to get ready for that one.<o:p></o:p>
On the injury to Darian Barnes:<o:p></o:p>
It’s a foot problem. He is going to get tested sometime today.<o:p></o:p>
On Donte Whitner’s late tackle of Johnnie Lee Higgins in the end zone:<o:p></o:p>
Obviously, you don’t want that to happen. He should have been flagged for taunting, and you’d like to get that 15-yard penalty and not have it cancelled out. It is infuriating, there’s no doubt about it, but he’s just got to control himself, because it could have been a big advantage for us to get that 15 (yards) on the kickoff and add it to our return. That’s a first down and a half. In the heat of the battle, you can see it easily happening, but I’m sure he’d like to have that play back<o:p></o:p>
On if he thinks Whitner’s hit will conflict with the commissioner’s policy:<o:p></o:p>
I read it to the team. I don’t have a clue what he’ll do with that, hopefully not much. Again, I wish he had controlled that, but you can certainly understand why he was a little bit upset.<o:p></o:p>

madness
09-23-2008, 09:44 AM
QUARTERBACK TRENT EDWARDS - 9/22

QUARTERBACK TRENT EDWARDS<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Monday, September 22, 2008<o:p></o:p>
On the AFC East standings:<o:p></o:p>
I haven’t seen any standings. The only standings I know are the ones that you guys question me about, so I’m really of the mindset now that we’ve had three games these past couple weeks that fortunately we’ve been able to win. My attitude right now is that we’re going to enjoy the win, we’re going to learn a lot from it and our focus right now is going to shift to the St. Louis Rams and I honestly don’t really care about the standings right now.<o:p></o:p>
On what he learned from the win and the benefits the team gets from a win like that:<o:p></o:p>
I said this after the game, where I felt this was the type of game where everything was going wrong. All of the breaks were going the Raiders way and we could have packed it in. We could have just said it’s not our day and sometimes you lose games and that could have been the attitude this team took on, but I don’t think that was the mindset anyone had. There was still plenty of time left at the end of the game and we still felt like we were a better team. We felt like we weren’t showing what we could possibly do and there were still plays to be made. And that’s really still the attitude we had going into the fourth quarter.<o:p></o:p>
On if he gets fired up when he gets knocked around a bit:<o:p></o:p>
I think it wakes me up a little bit. I’m pretty even-keeled and mellow before the game. I’m not a rah-rah guy, I’m not going to get loud and scream in the locker room, but I think once I do get hit, I would say I kind of get a little jacked up. I know the offensive linemen don’t like seeing me get hit, so I’m trying to avoid those hits as well, and I think it kind of gets everyone going, seeing me knocked to the ground and then I would agree with Rob (Royal) on that.<o:p></o:p>
On firing up the team after the Raiders’ long touchdown pass:<o:p></o:p>
That’s the same style I was at <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Jacksonville</st1:place></st1:City>. I’m still going to be the guy at the end of the game, that no matter how many points we’re down by, I still feel like we can win the football game and that’s what this team needs. I had a conversation with Chris Kelsay near the end of the game and he said, ‘why don’t you guys go down there and put a touchdown on the board for us, and we’ll stop them, and you go down and kick the field goal and win the game.’ That’s exactly what Chris told me and that’s exactly what we did. I was just trying to do my job really. I kept getting the plays into my earpiece and calling the plays and executing the plays and we were fortunate to put 10 points on the board.<o:p></o:p>
On Donte Whitner’s late hit on Johnnie Lee Higgins and his reaction to the hit:<o:p></o:p>
I saw that happen and I wasn’t very pleased with the way he kind of showboated a little bit there at the end. I don’t know if he meant to do it, I think he was maybe a little too excited about them getting a big play in the situation. I’m never going to be a guy that promotes dirty play, but in the same regard, I would say that Johnnie’s reaction there is almost a dirty play at the Bills, too. I know Donte (Whitner) takes a lot of pride in the defense as well as I take a lot of pride in the offense, and that fired me up, too, seeing Donte do that, that there was still plenty of time left. I think I saw some of the coaches shaking hands on the other sideline and I saw some people get out of the stands and leave and get to their cars early. The game wasn’t over and those people that left and those people that were shaking hands on the other sideline were definitely regretting doing that.<o:p></o:p>
On his teammates’ faith in him:<o:p></o:p>
I’ve felt that way about these guys in this locker, that we could have lost the last two games, and the feeling that I would have right now doing these interviews or after the game is a feeling of letting down my teammates. There’s so much pride in this locker room that I really feel like I want to win so bad for this offense, but I want to win for Donte Whitner, I want to win for Chris Kelsay, I want to win for coach Dick Jauron, and I think they feel the same way about the offense and about individuals on that side of the ball. I think when you have that mindset, it really allows guys to bear down in critical situations and make plays like we’ve done the past two weeks.<o:p></o:p>
On if it has been tough for Jason Peters to jump back in and play at a high level:<o:p></o:p>
I don’t think so. I’m not disappointed in the way he’s performed so far. I’m more looking at myself. I’m disappointed on some of those sacks I’m taking. I’m not doing a good job in the pocket of feeling my way around there and I’m making Jason vulnerable on the edge there. I’m going to get questions like that because of the position I’m in when I’m throwing the ball, and the position I’m putting my offensive line in the ball. I need to make sure that I’m moving around the pocket and getting rid of the ball when I need to. I think Jason’s improving each week and he’s getting better each day.<o:p></o:p>
On what the team focuses more on today: the first three quarters of the game or the final quarter:<o:p></o:p>
I would say both. I got more frustrated on the negative plays, and I’m not really all too high after the good plays, so maybe those first three quarters. It was tough to sit in that room and watch that film today and there are plenty of mistakes that were made and that probably could have translated into a loss, but we were fortunate to get out with a win, and I’m hoping I can learn from those sooner rather than later.<o:p></o:p>
On the defense coming up with stops in the first and final quarters:<o:p></o:p>
The same thing happened in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Jacksonville</st1:City></st1:place>. They were holding their offense, holding their great run game to three points and instead of scoring touchdowns, it really allows us mentally to stay in the game, that we’re not seeing a large deficit up there on the board, rather than a couple scores away, we can get back in the game.<o:p></o:p>

madness
09-23-2008, 09:48 AM
On the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on">Miami</st1:City> Dolphins beating the <st1:place w:st="on">New England</st1:place> Patriots and what that means to the AFC East:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
You know, we don’t play either one of them for awhile, so I don’t make much of it. It’s so early in the year. I’ve said all along that our division is a tough division. I think everybody improved. I certainly didn’t see the Patriots take any steps backwards, talking about going into the year, and here we are. I think it’s going to be a fight all year. We don’t play them for awhile and all I know is that we play <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">St. Louis</st1:place></st1:City> this week. After that, I don’t have any idea who we’re playing, so we have to get ready for that one.<o:p></o:p>

:bf1: One game at a time, baby!

mybills
09-23-2008, 10:28 AM
They are 100% focused! :bf1:

I saw some people get out of the stands and leave and get to their cars early. The game wasn’t over and those people that left and those people that were shaking hands on the other sideline were definitely regretting doing that. ~Trent

I wonder if Matt Cassel saw that. :gag: