• Show
Clear All
  • Bill Brasky
    Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
    • Jan 2004

Bills lead charge in new-look AFC

Bills on the frontpage of SI right now:

article:

For strangeness, nothing compares to the sight of seeing the Bills at 3-0 for the first time in 16 years, the first team other than New England to be atop the division since Week 4 of 2005. Buffalo hasn't made the playoffs since 1999, the AFC's longest active drought, and hasn't won the division since 1995, the year the Bills got a league-leading 17½ sacks out of NFL Defensive Player of the Year Bryce Paup (yeah, that's how long ago it was).

There wasn't a thing pretty about the Bills' latest win -- that 24-23 last-second nail-biter over visiting Oakland -- but the resilience Buffalo displayed in mounting its second consecutive fourth-quarter comeback victory should serve Dick Jauron's team well later this season when the stakes are even higher. The Bills scored 17 points in the game's final eight minutes, overcoming a host of miscues, missed opportunities and bad field position in a game that previous Buffalo teams would have routinely found a way to lose. The week before at steamy Jacksonville, it was a 10-point fourth-quarter rally that got the job done.

You can see this thing building week by week in Buffalo, and Tuesday morning I asked Bills offensive coordinator Turk Schonert if the victory over the Raiders might be the kind of game that convinces Buffalo it's both good enough to win even when it doesn't play it's best game, and not so far along that it can take any opponent for granted? Every young team on the rise needs to learn both of those lessons along the way.
  • Pinkerton Security
    Pinkerton's son
    • Feb 2006

Bills Lead charge in new-look AFC

No matter how long you stare at them, the AFC standings after three weeks just look a bit off kilter, don't they? Not upside down per se, but refreshingly out of order, and jumbled to the point where our customary quick glance can't take it all in.
    It makes for some great early season buzz in the conference that has been owned by the Patriots and Colts the past five or six seasons. If the playoffs started today, the AFC postseason bracket would be a snap to figure out because there are only six teams with winning records in the conference.
    The division winners would be Buffalo (3-0) in the AFC East, a division nobody but New England has won since 2002; Tennessee (3-0) in the AFC South, a division nobody but Indianapolis has won since 2002; upstart Baltimore (2-0) in the AFC North; and surprising Denver (3-0) in the AFC West, where San Diego has claimed three of the past four division titles. The two wild cards would be New England and Pittsburgh (both 2-1).
    For strangeness, nothing compares to the sight of seeing the Bills at 3-0 for the first time in 16 years, the first team other than New England to be atop the division since Week 4 of 2005. Buffalo hasn't made the playoffs since 1999, the AFC's longest active drought, and hasn't won the division since 1995, the year the Bills got a league-leading 17½ sacks out of NFL Defensive Player of the Year Bryce Paup (yeah, that's how long ago it was).

Comment

• Bill Brasky
      • Jan 2004

Re: Bills Lead charge in new-look AFC

Bills on the frontpage of SI right now: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/?eref=si_nfl article: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/09/23/afc/index.html?eref=T1 For strangeness, nothing compares to the sight of seeing the Bills at 3-0 for the first time in 16 years, the first team other than

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
        Pinkerton's son
        • Feb 2006

shoot my bad. delete please.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
          • Jan 2004

don't worry big guy someday i'll posrep you, and i'm sure i'll still be a dick.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
            Pinkerton's son
            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Bill Brasky
            don't worry big guy someday i'll posrep you, and i'm sure i'll still be a dick.
            sorry man, bad day at work and im about to kill my coworkers.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
              Pinkerton's son
              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by pinkdogg32
              sorry man, bad day at work and im about to kill my coworkers.
              not literally or anything.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
                • Jan 2004

Re: Bills lead charge in new-look AFC

take a long lunch! and do the liquid diet!

Comment

Working...
                X