PDA

View Full Version : Getting Close to See What kind of Team We Have

ghz in pittsburgh
09-24-2008, 08:14 AM
I think it was Belichick said that after 4 games, you found out what kind of team you have for the season. And I heard Cowher said something similar in the past - smokes cleared, one time thing went away, you get to know who you have, what you can do, and what you can't do.

For the Bills, the first thing people usually say is that they have the best special team. I'm not so sure. To say the least, the rest of the league is catching up to us. I think we are in the top 10. This unit may win us a game down the road, but it could easily lose a game for us as well. I don't like our coverage team. I don't know who is our gunner but we need him to step up because I hate to see the returner coming full steam for 15 yard before he makes any moves.

The defense looks to be a steady unit. They are playoff caliber even though they haven't been tested by a top shelf offense (Arizona, San Diego are just around the corner). However I won't put them as dominant in the category of the likes of Baltimore, Titans, etc. Those teams practically score points defensively to win games. I really believe the strength of our defense is now on D-Line. Stroud is heathy. Williams stepped up. Kelsay is far improved from last year. So every one of them can be the point of attack. Their backups, MaCargo, Johnson, Denney can easily be starters on a lot of teams, which means there is no let up on attacks from the D-Line throughout the game. I just hope they don't have any injury in the linebacker unit because we are a little bit thin there.

The offense is producing around 20 points a game, but this group is inconsistent. They are not playoff caliber yet but they did face 3 straight quality defensive units so far. I'm a little disappointed at the O-Line which is supposed to be the strength. Maybe too much moving around of pieces throughout the camp and games due to Peters holdout is the reason. I surely hope they round into form soon. The bright spot is Trent Edwards who is out-performing people's expectations. As the saying goes, if you get answers at quarterback position, you are in pretty good shape offensively. I remember clearly last year how he did the first 4 games compared to his last 4 games. And everybody is seeing the difference between the 3 games in 2008 compared to last year. If he holds up heathy, I could not imagine what he'll do the next 4 games and beyond. The upshot of that thinking is that the offense is going to improve just from the QB spot alone.

Jan Reimers
09-24-2008, 08:31 AM
I think we will continue to get better, both offensively and defensively. Edwards, with only 12 career starts, will gain in confidence, the O-line will improve as Peters returns to form, and Hardy and Schouman should begin making contributions fairly soon.

The D should also improve with Poz (still with only 5 full games under his belt) getting more comfortable, Ko teturning to his pre-injury self, and perhaps McKelvin contributing down the line.

With a young team, there is really nowhere to go but up.

Meathead
09-24-2008, 08:54 AM
biggest weakness on the team is mediocre or worse run blocking. its not a glaring weakness but enough to be a liability at times against the best defenses. if the bills expect to have sustained success late in the season and into the playoffs they simply have to improve there

hard to fault too much for the rest of the team so far. plenty of things to find out as the season goes on, but each of the last two games has at least started nailing down the idea these bills may be real division contenders

raphael120
09-24-2008, 11:02 AM
biggest weakness on the team is mediocre or worse run blocking. its not a glaring weakness but enough to be a liability at times against the best defenses.

Just wait til November, December. It'll be a glaring weakness when the weather gets bad if we can't run worth ****.

ServoBillieves
09-24-2008, 11:33 AM
Skies the limit with this team, and just like Marshawn says, "We're as good as we play on Sunday, and we've been playing good."

RockStar36
09-24-2008, 11:36 AM
I think we'll know more by the bye week. They should handle St. Louis so if they struggle we'll know quite a bit about the team. They should also in theory beat Arizona, but who knows, sometimes those games are traps (PIT/ARZ last year) so if they come out of those two games looking good I think we're in for a really good year.

patmoran2006
09-24-2008, 11:49 AM
I think how far we'll go comes down to how well our run blocking gets.

Against better teams, we have to run the ball more consistently, it'll open up everything else.

I dont know how much better our D can play.

HAMMER
09-24-2008, 11:53 AM
I think we'll know more by the bye week. They should handle St. Louis so if they struggle we'll know quite a bit about the team. They should also in theory beat Arizona, but who knows, sometimes those games are traps (PIT/ARZ last year) so if they come out of those two games looking good I think we're in for a really good year.

Arizona is going to be a very tough game. In the last 3 years, teams traveling coast to coast have only won 30% of the time.

Dr. Lecter
09-24-2008, 11:55 AM
One thing that I think will gradually help the run blocking is a better passing game and Trent doing it in questionable weather.

Let's be honest - teams have not respected the pass and have crowded the line. They should start backing off now and will do so more if the Bills can make them pay.

One thing I still think is missing from the offense is going deep over the middle. They always go down the sideline. Send Hardy or Evans deep down between the safeties. I doubt there are many safeties that can keep up with Lee.

Saratoga Slim
09-24-2008, 11:59 AM
biggest weakness on the team is mediocre or worse run blocking. its not a glaring weakness but enough to be a liability at times against the best defenses. if the bills expect to have sustained success late in the season and into the playoffs they simply have to improve there

hard to fault too much for the rest of the team so far. plenty of things to find out as the season goes on, but each of the last two games has at least started nailing down the idea these bills may be real division contenders

Agreed - the run blocking has to improve. Hopefully it's a matter of Peters getting in form and everyone settling into their positions after the preseason shuffle.

I haven't seen anything else that is a glaring weakness. Coverage unit have indeed been so-so, but not the end of the world. That probably should be expected after all the special teams guys we let go this offseason.

Mad Bomber
09-24-2008, 12:21 PM
One thing I still think is missing from the offense is going deep over the middle. They always go down the sideline. Send Hardy or Evans deep down between the safeties. I doubt there are many safeties that can keep up with Lee.

...or Roscoe.

Ingtar33
09-24-2008, 12:26 PM
biggest weakness on the team is mediocre or worse run blocking

bingo.

Mad Bomber
09-24-2008, 01:03 PM
I agree with Meathead and Pat that our run blocking needs to improve considerably if we want to be successful later in the season. Trent hasn't shown himself to be a good poor weather passer, so we'll need to be able to run the ball well to succeed in the Ralph in November - December.

Jan Reimers
09-24-2008, 01:07 PM
I think how far we'll go comes down to how well our run blocking gets.

Against better teams, we have to run the ball more consistently, it'll open up everything else.

I dont know how much better our D can play.

I think our D can play somewhat better. Poz and Ko still seem a little rusty and should improve as the season goes on, and I still think we will get something from McCargo.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
09-24-2008, 01:42 PM
Arizona is going to be a very tough game. In the last 3 years, teams traveling coast to coast have only won 30% of the time.

Glad we are not traveling coast to coast!

But seriously, I don't think the travel will affect them much going out there.
You gain some daylight out there, and it's not really that long of a flight.

I don't expect them to have problems with the travel.

LABillsFan
09-24-2008, 01:57 PM
I think by the time the Bills start their division games, the Jets and Dolphins will be better and the Pats will have a better game plan for Cassel. I think the Bills will be tested throughout the season and especially in division games. If the Bills had played 1 or 2 division games by now and had the same record, it would be more significant than where they are at right now.

The weather will play a factor and there are 2 instances of back to back away games as well.

It aint over till week 16

ghz in pittsburgh
09-24-2008, 02:32 PM
I think our D can play somewhat better. Poz and Ko still seem a little rusty and should improve as the season goes on, and I still think we will get something from McCargo.

I believe the run defense has been proved. Stroud, Poz, and Mitchell really make it happen.

But I'm not so sure about pass D yet. For one, we still have to use blitz to get most of our sacks, unlike the superbowl Giants. Secondly, I'm not sure about Poz's coverage ability yet.

We're going to see how we cover a bunch of top receivers at the same time in Arizona, and we're going to see if we can cover a dangerous Tighte End against San Diego.

LABillsFan
09-24-2008, 02:34 PM
I believe the run defense has been proved. Stroud, Poz, and Mitchell really make it happen.

But I'm not so sure about pass D yet. For one, we still have to use blitz to get most of our sacks, unlike the superbowl Giants. Secondly, I'm not sure about Poz's coverage ability yet.

We're going to see how we cover a bunch of top receivers at the same time in Arizona, and we're going to see if we can cover a dangerous Tighte End against San Diego.

What is a concern is that the Bills haven't faced a team that has had all their starting Off.

Seattle had no receivers, Jax had a banged up line, Russel in Oak is a non threat passing wise, so it will be interesting facing teams like Ari. who will be testing that secondary early and often

ghz in pittsburgh
09-24-2008, 02:37 PM
What is a concern is that the Bills haven't faced a team that has had all their starting Off.

Seattle had no receivers, Jax had a banged up line, Russel in Oak is a non threat passing wise, so it will be interesting facing teams like Ari. who will be testing that secondary early and often

Exactly! They pretty much faced one dimensional offensive teams so far. Granted, most teams in NFL cannot say they have perfect offense in the air AND on the ground. But you know in January, you more than likely will be facing those talented teams.

LABillsFan
09-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Exactly! They pretty much faced one dimensional offensive teams so far. Granted, most teams in NFL cannot say they have perfect offense in the air AND on the ground. But you know in January, you more than likely will be facing those talented teams.

Which brings me to the point of having a 4 man rush that can get into the backfield. There are going to be times where the Bills will have to respect the pass moreso than they are now. While it wasn't Whitner's responsibility on the Higgins TD, he didn't have the speed to tackle him until he was 7 yards deep in the endzone. Teams are going to look at that play and try to figure out if it was just a great call at the perfect time, or if the Bills don't have the secondary that is good in coverage or has the speed to keep up.

Last year, the Bills played 7 yards or more off of receivers, so far they are manning up closer. Now, is it a different approach in D or is it because teams haven't been that big of a pass threat?

HAMMER
09-24-2008, 03:22 PM
Glad we are not traveling coast to coast!

But seriously, I don't think the travel will affect them much going out there.
You gain some daylight out there, and it's not really that long of a flight.

I don't expect them to have problems with the travel.

I knew some wiesenheimmer would nit pick this, close enough. People are overlooking AZ they are a very solid team.