PDA

View Full Version : To all those who said Peters would be ready to play

PromoTheRobot
09-24-2008, 08:44 AM
Bench Peters? (http://www.realfootball365.com/index.php/articles/bills/12724)

During our long protracted debate over Peters hold out, a few of us (me included) said that Peters would suffer for missing OTA's and training camp. Others (who coincidentally were arguing on Peters behalf, predicting Armageddon for Edwards if anyone but Peters played LT) said that Peters was so crazy good that he didn't need camp. Being "the best player on the team" meant that he can just walk ont the field and be better than what the Bills had.

Now two games in and we are seeing that Peters is more of a liability to the Bills than an asset. Twice in two weeks, "our best player" has been beaten badly enough that the rusher caused Trent Edwards to fumble. Wasn't this the kind of stuff that wasn't supposed to happen with Peters at LT? Fortunately the Bills are 3-0 so we all just laugh it off, but I wonder if we were 1-2, and both games turned on those Peters-induced turnovers, how would we be feeling about "the best player on the team?"

PTR

THATHURMANATOR
09-24-2008, 08:47 AM
He will be fine.

PromoTheRobot
09-24-2008, 08:51 AM
He will be fine.
How many games are you willing to chance before he gets there?

PTR

mayotm
09-24-2008, 09:07 AM
No offense, but to suggest benching Peters now is absurd. He's only going to get better as the season progresses. He should be about close to playing shape now. Walker did a nice job replacing Peters. However, he is much better at his natrual RT position. Peters is not going to be a problem.

mybills
09-24-2008, 09:20 AM
Peters says one more game and he'll be 100%.

HughC
09-24-2008, 09:30 AM
I agree he should have been left out earlier until he was in game shape, but I don't see the benefit of benching him now. He wasn't really ready to go his first game but replacing him now would be counter-productive.

PromoTheRobot
09-24-2008, 10:38 AM
TMQ (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/080923)

Coaching note: After staging his inexplicable pointless summer holdout (he has three years remaining on his contract), Budgies Pro Bowl tackle Jason Peters has lacked focus in his early play. On Sunday, he struggled early against Oakland speed rusher Derrick Burgess. Buffalo coaches took Peters out, but rather than yell at him, had him stand with them and watch as undrafted Kirk Chambers played left tackle and shut Burgess down. That was all the motivation Peters needed to return and perform well in the second half.

Maybe our eyes are untrained but Jauron's are.

PTR

LaBestia23
09-24-2008, 10:39 AM
I would not say bench him now but I would suggest that they give him reduced playing time in favor of Walker and Chambers. Atleast until he regains his pro bowl form. I think his bad play has cost him a chance to be selected to the pro bowl this year. What has he allowed so far ? 4 sacks ?
I am not as concerned for Peters as I am for Butler and Fowler.
Can Chambers play RG ? Just a thought

Jan Reimers
09-24-2008, 10:54 AM
I maintained all along that he wouldn't be game ready, and he's not. He's getting his preseason work in live action, and he's improving. I think he'll be much better after the bye week.

Tatonka
09-24-2008, 11:27 AM
the guy has played piss poor. he flashes blocks that remind you how he became the best lineman we have and where all the hype came from, but his lazy fat ass is out of shape, and rusty as hell..

the article is not far off. i dont know that i would bench him, but the coaching staff has already pulled peters off the field a few times and put in chambers.

if you say that the article way off base you just are not watching the games.. i am sure Gr8 will be in to defend his fiance, but the fact that peters is getting smoked by Kalimba Edwards is just outright embarrassing.. against the jags, wasnt he smoked by a rookie DE?.. and the pressure is consistently coming from his side.

i would love to have the old peters back who wanted to prove how good he could be.. but the slug we have at LT right now is a shell of the peters we had last year, before his 8 month trip to the mighty taco.

Tatonka
09-24-2008, 11:32 AM
yeah, a lot of attention is being put on peters right now, which i think is funny.. because he put the spot light firmly on himself with his greedy and selfish holdout... you would think that if you are going to ask for more money, you would come prepared, but to get pulled for kirk chambers? really? and now a lot of main stream media is catching on to how poorly he has played and speaking up about it.. i think he has almost definately cost himself a trip to the probowl.

wasnt he just an alternate last year that got put in because someone got hurt? i cant remember.

patmoran2006
09-24-2008, 11:48 AM
NO he got elected in but didnt play because he was injured.

He'll be fine.. Two games does not define a player, especially one who hadn't seen a snap since the end of last season.

He's far and away the best OL we have, and one of the top 3-4 in the NFL, he'll be just fine.

Saratoga Slim
09-24-2008, 12:29 PM
NO he got elected in but didnt play because he was injured.

He'll be fine.. Two games does not define a player, especially one who hadn't seen a snap since the end of last season.

He's far and away the best OL we have, and one of the top 3-4 in the NFL, he'll be just fine.

Yeah, it's Week 3. There is a lot of football left to play.

This and Brett Favre's performance in NYJ does prove that there is a lot more to football than just talent though. You've got to be in game shape (mentally & physically), totally in step with your teammates, and know the system.

PECKERWOOD
09-24-2008, 12:53 PM
I maintained all along that he wouldn't be game ready, and he's not. He's getting his preseason work in live action, and he's improving. I think he'll be much better after the bye week.

Same here and I took ALOT of **** here, it was so lopsided, nobody defended my opinion. I was the one who said Peters should be made an example out of. We had fantastic chemistry with Langston at LT and Chambers at RT, I still like that lineup the best, I'm not a big fan of Peters anymore as I think not only has his pass protection been horrible but he hasn't done dick with the ground game.

Sportsuser101
09-24-2008, 01:00 PM
Peters will be fine. He didn't play in game 1 and didn't play well except in the 2nd half last week in the last 2 games. He'll be fine.

Billiever86
09-24-2008, 01:14 PM
I dont see the point here....the head coach is deciding that peters has to play.....

are you telling me dick jauron is a poor coach?

im sure DJ and Peters knows he is not at 100% yet.....but right now....im sure DJ is willing to leave him out there so he can get into probowl form as soon as possible...

and dont you think it makes sense to put peters in while the teams are subpar?.....so come time when we play our division games...the chargers and our tougher part of the schedule...he will be ready to be the force he was last year?

jesus man...think a little bit....of course he was gonna struggle....but what are you saying keep him out of live football so he wont be 100% until week 10?

Tatonka
09-24-2008, 01:50 PM
i have no doubt that peters is our best Olineman when playing up to potential.

and i obviously hope that he returns to form sooner rather than later.. but really, all he has done is hurt his own case for a contract increase.

if he gets our qb killed though while he is shaking off the rust that he caused from sitting on his ass for 8 months, i am wondering if you guys will be so forgiving and tolerant.

PECKERWOOD
09-24-2008, 01:50 PM
I dont see the point here....the head coach is deciding that peters has to play.....

im sure DJ and Peters knows he is not at 100% yet.....but right now....im sure DJ is willing to leave him out there so he can get into probowl form as soon as possible...

and dont you think it makes sense to put peters in while the teams are subpar?.....so come time when we play our division games...the chargers and our tougher part of the schedule...he will be ready to be the force he was last year?

jesus man...think a little bit....of course he was gonna struggle....but what are you saying keep him out of live football so he wont be 100% until week 10?

Are you telling me that good coaches can't make poor decisions?

Mad Bomber
09-24-2008, 02:03 PM
Aside from a handful of competent displays and good run blocks like the one he threw on Marshawn Lynch’s first touchdown, overall he’s regressed worse than the “Star Wars” franchise. Peters was Chewbacca and is now Jar Jar.
:rofl:

I think he'll be fine in a few weeks. Let's hope he doesn't get Trent killed in the meantime.

Billiever86
09-24-2008, 02:04 PM
i have no doubt that peters is our best Olineman when playing up to potential.

and i obviously hope that he returns to form sooner rather than later.. but really, all he has done is hurt his own case for a contract increase.

if he gets our qb killed though while he is shaking off the rust that he caused from sitting on his ass for 8 months, i am wondering if you guys will be so forgiving and tolerant.

I get that he has hurt his own case for a contract increase.....but is that a bad thing? honestly thats a great thing....because last time i checked...we have a lot of players and a head coach who is looking for a new contract....and lets just say if we dont get a few breaks....we wont be able to keep all those players we want...

As for the trent getting killed....come on man....he can tear an ACL just from stepping on a guys foot after the snap and falling awkward....things like that dont worry me....if he gets hurt...bad luck....thats all

gr8slayer
09-24-2008, 02:07 PM
Wow, overreact much? Give the guy a chance to get his feet back under him. He'll be fine post bye-week.

Jan Reimers
09-24-2008, 02:11 PM
Peters is not only hurting his case, but Demetrius Bell, a guy with a ton of potential, is learning the position and waiting in the wings.

gr8slayer
09-24-2008, 02:12 PM
Peters is not only hurting his case, but Demetrius Bell, a guy with a ton of potential, is learning the position and waiting in the wings.
You base this on what?

HHURRICANE
09-24-2008, 03:59 PM
Bench him. Okay, that's a great idea. I really sometimes wonder if we deserve a winning frranchise.

gr8slayer
09-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Bench him. Okay, that's a great idea. I really sometimes wonder if we deserve a winning frranchise.
Of course we do, it's just some people letting their emotions get in the way of business.

Jan Reimers
09-24-2008, 04:18 PM
You base this on what?
My superior knowledge of football and my excellent player evaluation skills, of course.:band:

trapezeus
09-24-2008, 04:34 PM
this is obviously a catch 22. peters has to play to get back to form, but if he is letting major things go because he's out of game shape, he's got to come out.

I don't think the coaching staff is pulling him to teach him a lesson. i think they know he's their number 1 guard. It's best to give him as much reps as he can take and pull him when he can't carry his load. i do think that if the line can be injury free through the Bye, our OL (which we didn't think had any real depth during the TC) will have more depth with chambers healthy and sitting on the bench waiting to spell or relieve on LT or RT.

Billiever86
09-24-2008, 05:10 PM

huh? why are you making things up?.....

patmoran2006
09-24-2008, 06:27 PM
LOL

yordad
09-24-2008, 09:33 PM
Can Chambers play center? lol