PDA

View Full Version : Parish out 4-6 weeks.

Dr. Lecter
09-24-2008, 01:59 PM
V-text.

Thanks for cursing us danny.

Tatonka
per vtext.. out for extended period of time.. thumb injury.

time to step up hardy and steve johnson.

Pinkerton Security
Out an extended period of time with a thumb injury, per v-text

Jan Reimers
09-24-2008, 02:00 PM
I guess the good news is that Hardy will get more playing time.

Pride
Hellooooo Mr. Hardy!

While I will miss roscoe on pun returns... I think this is actually a good thing. Hardy needs more playing time... and this should do the trick!

Pinkerton Security
man, beat me to it.

raphael120
Dammit dammit dammit...oh well...Hardy, Jenkins...your time to shine now. Maybe even some Stevie Johnson action?

Mitchy moo
09-24-2008, 02:01 PM
Crap.

Mr. Miyagi
09-24-2008, 02:03 PM
We have McLovin to step up on the return game, and Hardy/Johnson for receiving. Reed will step into the slot perfectly. We won't miss a beat.

Mad Bomber
09-24-2008, 02:06 PM
I take full responsibility...he's on my fantasy team (we get return yards, so he's been great). I've already lost Nate Burleson for the season, and have two other injured players. Sorry.

Looks like we're finally going to see what James Hardy can do in the receiving game, and what McKelvin can do on punt returns.

Billiever86
09-24-2008, 02:06 PM
the hell? you guys are too happy for the best punt returner in the league missing games....

we do have competent replacements though....and yes hardy will get time...to be honest...i dont want to see hardy in the slot though...it would be nice if they tossed him out on the sides so he can work his magic...

theanswer74
09-24-2008, 02:07 PM
If Bills fans still haven’t come back down to earth following the team’s exciting 3-0 start, the loss of Roscoe Parrish with a thumb injury might dampen those spirits. Parrish suffered the injury in last week’s game and will need surgery on the thumb, which could keep him out until the Bills first meeting with the Patriots on Nov. 9.http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6659

Mad Bomber
09-24-2008, 02:08 PM
the hell? you guys are too happy for the best punt returner in the league missing games....

I for one am not the LEAST bit happy about this.

Dr. Lecter
09-24-2008, 02:08 PM
I suspect Fred Jackson might return punts.

He is an offenseive weapon too, if used properly.

It will be interesting to see if Johnson or Jenkins gets reps as the #4 WR. Or if Jackson is split out more often.

Mr. Hardy - time to perform on the field.

Dr. Lecter
09-24-2008, 02:09 PM
I take full responsibility...he's on my fantasy team (we get return yards, so he's been great). I've already lost Nate Burleson for the season, and have two other injured players. Sorry.

Looks like we're finally going to see what James Hardy can do in the receiving game, and what McKelvin can do on punt returns.

Looks like I am gonna have to kick your ass at next year's opener.

Mr. Pink
09-24-2008, 02:10 PM
McKelvin will take over the PR duties for sure...offensively, losing Parrish isn't much of a problem...He gets what? 3 looks a game...maybe?

This extended period of time could make Parrish expendable in the offseason.

If McKelvin is anywhere near as good at returning punts that is.

Of course, I'm the one who thinks we made a mistake resigning him to a contract recently, he makes way too much money for a number 3 or 4 receiver combined with what little impact he actually has on offense.

Mad Bomber
09-24-2008, 02:11 PM
Bills receiver and returner Roscoe Parrish will be out 4-6 weeks after having surgery on his right thumb.

http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=60898&provider=gnews

Mad Bomber
09-24-2008, 02:12 PM
Looks like I am gonna have to kick your ass at next year's opener.
:sorry:

Just be glad I don't have Edwards, Evans, or the Buffalo D.

Mr. Pink
09-24-2008, 02:12 PM

we do have competent replacements though....and yes hardy will get time...to be honest...i dont want to see hardy in the slot though...it would be nice if they tossed him out on the sides so he can work his magic...

I'm somewhat happy to be honest...if McKelvin can produce in the return game to anywhere near Roscoes' ability...Roscoe then becomes expendable...If we can move him for the right price/offer we could bring a legitimate slot WR in to replace him.

I don't downplay the guy's return skills..they're phenomenal...but his offensive impact is very minimal, at best.

I don't think this is a huge loss actually.

OpIv37
09-24-2008, 02:14 PM
I suspect Fred Jackson might return punts.

He is an offenseive weapon too, if used properly.

It will be interesting to see if Johnson or Jenkins gets reps as the #4 WR. Or if Jackson is split out more often.

Mr. Hardy - time to perform on the field.

While Jackson is a pleasant surprise on O, I've never liked him on returns. He gets a lot of chances in pre-season and has never looked that good.

I'd rather just let McKelvin do it.

LABillsFan
09-24-2008, 02:15 PM
Jackson is the next in line to return punts, but he is too big of a part of the offense to take the risk of him getting hurt on PR's or getting tired because of returning.

Jan Reimers
McKelvin will take over the PR duties for sure...offensively, losing Parrish isn't much of a problem...He gets what? 3 looks a game...maybe?

This extended period of time could make Parrish expendable in the offseason.

If McKelvin is anywhere near as good at returning punts that is.

Of course, I'm the one who thinks we made a mistake resigning him to a contract recently, he makes way too much money for a number 3 or 4 receiver combined with what little impact he actually has on offense.
In just 3 games, he's had a fantastic punt return for a TD, and caught several key passes, including the TD that put us in position for last Sunday's win. On a team that needs playmakers, he's a playmaker.

OpIv37
I don't think this is a huge loss actually.

you're right in that he's limited on O.

The problem is that we don't have anyone else. Reed steps up from time to time but lacks the speed to stretch the field and has proven that he can't take pressure off of Evans. Hardy is still raw. Steve Johnson usually doesn't even dress for games (although that may change now).

I actually think they should send Parrish deep down the middle more because it always works for me in Madden :snicker:.

Dr. Lecter
09-24-2008, 02:18 PM
While Jackson is a pleasant surprise on O, I've never liked him on returns. He gets a lot of chances in pre-season and has never looked that good.

I agree. But I think they might let Jackson, however Brown disagress with me.

BTW, McKelvin has been doing well on KO returns. He is 6th in the AFC and is averaging 25.7 YPR.

DrastiK
09-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Now lets see what Leodis can do in there returning punts.

Ed
09-24-2008, 02:19 PM
This is definitely a blow to our team. I think we would have started to see Parrish become more involved in the offenses game plan. At least he's not out for the year though, and we've got a couple non conference games coming up plus the bye. Luckily, it's also not a leg injury.

I hope we use McKelvin on punt returns as I believe that's what he was best at in college. Didn't he have 7 PR TD's compared to 1 KR TD?

Pride
09-24-2008, 02:23 PM
Josh Reed should be in the slot anyway, with Evans and Hardy on the outside.

Mr. Pink
09-24-2008, 02:26 PM
In just 3 games, he's had a fantastic punt return for a TD, and caught several key passes, including the TD that put us in position for last Sunday's win. On a team that needs playmakers, he's a playmaker.

And McKelvin did that in preseason.

The point is Bills fans as a whole over-rate the guy a ton.

At best he adds 5 yards of field position over league average on PRs.

What's 5 extra yards of field position per offensive drive after the defense hold get you over the course of a game? Maybe it equals to 1-2 points per game? Maybe.

My whole contention and I guess problem is that the Bills organization overpays for a guy who while yes is flashy, offers very little outside of the return game.

Parrish's injury will allow McKelvin to show if he can take the PR duties or Jackson on punts. And on offense it should give our two draft picks some more opportunities.

If McKelvin can perform barely above league average on punt returns and Hardy or Johnson can contribute on offense then losing Parrish isn't even a bad thing let alone a "blow to the team" like some suggest.

Jan Reimers
09-24-2008, 02:27 PM
I think Parrish is a significant loss. He has 11 punt returns for 167 yards, 7 pass receptions for 60 yards, and 2 TDs.

But it will give Hardy and McKelvin the opportunity to strut their stuff.

rcd333
09-24-2008, 02:27 PM
o god, are we going to put him on IR too?

Mr. Pink
09-24-2008, 02:28 PM
you're right in that he's limited on O.

The problem is that we don't have anyone else. Reed steps up from time to time but lacks the speed to stretch the field and has proven that he can't take pressure off of Evans. Hardy is still raw. Steve Johnson usually doesn't even dress for games (although that may change now).

I actually think they should send Parrish deep down the middle more because it always works for me in Madden :snicker:.

Az Zahir Hakim was an awesome return man too...and more of an offensive weapon than Parrish ever was....plus he was sweet on Madden too!

Where is he now?

Exactly.

Mr. Pink
09-24-2008, 02:30 PM
I think Parrish is a significant loss. He has 11 punt returns for 167 yards, 7 pass receptions for 60 yards, and 2 TDs.

But it will give Hardy and McKelvin the opportunity to strut their stuff.

That's my whole point really....we'll get to see what Hardy can contribute to the offense. And we'll see if McKelvin can be anywhere close to the level of Parrish on PRs.

And it's not really Hardy, he should be able to contribute a hell of a lot more than Parrish because he's more of a complete receiver. The guy I want to see what he can do is Steve Johnson. if Johnson can contribute as much if not more than Roscoe on offense...

To be blunt if both occur Parrish is highly expendable.

gr8slayer
09-24-2008, 02:34 PM
This might not be such a bad thing, this will mean that Hardy will get more involved now.

njsue
09-24-2008, 02:36 PM
Yikes.

Jan Reimers
09-24-2008, 02:36 PM
o god, are we going to put him on IR too?
Not if he's only going to be out 4-6 weeks, and with Steve Johnson on the active roster, ready to finally dress for the next game.

Dr. Lecter
09-24-2008, 02:37 PM
One other thing FTY - When Parrish makes a play it tends to be a big one and emotion/momentum/etc. should not be overlooked.

While his size is a hinderance, he is a tremendously talented player. One of the better ont he team.

Philagape
09-24-2008, 02:38 PM
We need Hardy to step up, regardless. If Parrish being out is the catalyst for that, then in the long run it can actually be a good thing.
I agree it's not that big a loss for the offense. Parrish has been the fourth option at best. On ST, McLovin has the potential to do just as well

gr8slayer
09-24-2008, 02:39 PM
We need Hardy to step up, regardless. If Parrish being out is the catalyst for that, then in the long run it can actually be a good thing.
I agree it's not that big a loss for the offense. Parrish has been the fourth option at best. On ST, McLovin has the potential to do just as well
Widely regarded as the best return man of all time in the NCAA>

rcd333
09-24-2008, 02:42 PM
Not if he's only going to be out 4-6 weeks, and with Steve Johnson on the active roster, ready to finally dress for the next game.

more of a joke really (crowell fiasco)

Mad Bomber
09-24-2008, 02:43 PM
I agree, Op. I'd like to see McKelvin handle the return work.

Mr. Pink
09-24-2008, 02:45 PM
One other thing FTY - When Parrish makes a play it tends to be a big one and emotion/momentum/etc. should not be overlooked.

While his size is a hinderance, he is a tremendously talented player. One of the better ont he team.

I do agree with when he makes a play, the place goes crazy no doubt. The team gets amped, the fans get charged up...definitely.

Steve Johnson is supposed to have some speed and elusiveness though too.

And as we've seen this year, we can sustain drives and score TDs as well. So we don't need to rely as heavily on the big play anymore as we did the past few seasons.

He's a gimmick player on offense...like Hester in Chicago, like Az back in the day in AZ, Dante Hall in KC, Jerome Mathis for a couple seasons in Houston...the list goes on and on with guys that had excellent return ability and the ability to take the ball to the house...but in terms of NFL history, not many of them have lengthy careers and fade out almost as quick as they arrived.

I'd rather have a guy who can contribute 4-5 10 yard gains a game over a guy who breaks off an exciting TD every other game. But that's just my opinion and I have been wrong once or twice.

Ed
09-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Everyone keeps saying that this is an opportunity for Hardy to get more reps. Yeah it is, but that doesn't make our team better. They guy is a rookie who clearly doesn't look ready to step up and be an every down player.

We've got a good team right now. It's not like this is one of our re-building years where it's good to see what our rookies can do.

For the sake of the team, let's just hope that Roscoe gets healthy as soon as possible because we're better with him then without.

This isn't some crippling loss, but we're certainly not good enough to just brush away his contributions. Both of our last two wins have come down to the wire and he's been involved in both.

mysticsoto
09-24-2008, 02:50 PM
Word is, Jenkins will get more play time - not Hardy:

Per rotoworld:

Roscoe Parrish will miss the next 4-6 weeks because of thumb surgery.
Very disappointing after Parrish was off to the best start of his four-year career as a slot receiver. He's also an electric punt returner. Don't assume James Hardy will play a ton more now because Justin Jenkins will get snaps in the slot. Leodis McKelvin will likely take over on punt returns.

patmoran2006
09-24-2008, 02:51 PM
not good news at all...

dannyek71
09-24-2008, 02:51 PM
I mentioned that he looked hurt to Mikey right after the game. I'm surprised I am the only one who even breathed that.

Mr. Pink
09-24-2008, 02:55 PM
Everyone keeps saying that this is an opportunity for Hardy to get more reps. Yeah it is, but that doesn't make our team better. They guy is a rookie who clearly doesn't look ready to step up and be an every down player.

We've got a good team right now. It's not like this is one of our re-building years where it's good to see what our rookies can do.

For the sake of the team, let's just hope that Roscoe gets healthy as soon as possible because we're better with him then without.

This isn't some crippling loss, but we're certainly not good enough to just brush away his contributions. Both of our last two wins have come down to the wire and he's been involved in both.

Offensively, it doesn't make us worse either. And allows a top pick to get some development in. If you're relying on a gimmick player to help your offense or think he's a major cog to the offense...then your offense isn't that good to begin with.

And the TD pass he caught against Oakland was a pattern that either Evans or S. Johnson coulda ran. Both have speed and could get over there. Hell we already saw Lee do it on a similar play against the Jags.

If we're not good enough to brush aside the loss of what should be a 4th WR, then we're in trouble. And like I said, Parrish's 5 yards over league average punt returns isn't as big of a deal as some people would like to make it out to be. Not too mention McKelvin was supposed to be the best returner in the draft.

Scumbag College
09-24-2008, 02:58 PM
I didn't notice anything at all. He caught a ball the last play before the two minute warning against the Raiders. At least the Bills have a bye week too added in there. I'd like to see alot more Fred Jackson in there than Hardy or Johnson. He gives all sorts of matchup problems for defenses.

Mr. Pink
09-24-2008, 03:00 PM
Word is, Jenkins will get more play time - not Hardy:

Per rotoworld:

BTW Justin Jenkins getting more reps is idiotic, if indeed this is what happens.

dannyek71
09-24-2008, 03:01 PM
BTW Justin Jenkins getting more reps is idiotic, if indeed this is what happens.
Justin Jenkins didn't look bad in camp. Better than Johnson IMHO

justasportsfan
time for our back ups to step up just like guys like Dig and others did last year.

Dr. Lecter
If he is better in the slot than Hardy is right now, I have no problem with it.

justasportsfan
09-24-2008, 03:03 PM
are you ever at practice? Do you know more than our coaches to call them idiots if they go with Jenkins?

Night Train
I love Roscoe on Punt returns but McKelvin returned 7 for TD's in college, in addition to 1 KR. Talk about unreal depth at KR.

Lee is Lee & Reed has been solid in the slot. Now Hardy, Jenkins, Johnson get more looks.

A shame. I like that little dancing bean. He'll be back around Thanksgiving to help us lock up a playoff spot. :up:

gr8slayer
If he is better in the slot than Hardy is right now, I have no problem with it.
Yup, it's hard to disagree with anything the team does this year because they have shown that they know a lot better what's going on than we do.

yordad
Parrish is a huge loss. McKelvin will return punts.

Ed
Offensively, it doesn't make us worse either. And allows a top pick to get some development in. If you're relying on a gimmick player to help your offense or think he's a major cog to the offense...then your offense isn't that good to begin with.

And the TD pass he caught against Oakland was a pattern that either Evans or S. Johnson coulda ran. Both have speed and could get over there. Hell we already saw Lee do it on a similar play against the Jags.

If we're not good enough to brush aside the loss of what should be a 4th WR, then we're in trouble. And like I said, Parrish's 5 yards over league average punt returns isn't as big of a deal as some people would like to make it out to be. Not too mention McKelvin was supposed to be the best returner in the draft.
Yes, we are worse off if we're having to develop a rookie. WR is not an easy position to learn and it's crazy to think a couple rookies can just step in and pick up the slack. There's nothing gimmicky about Roscoe's receptions either.

Maybe someone else could have ran Roscoe's pattern for the TD, but it doesn't mean they would have gotten open or caught the ball.

Maybe our offense can keep improving without Parrish, but it's still a loss.

gr8slayer
09-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Parrish is a huge loss. McKelvin will return punts.
And there's no harm in that, like I said before; McKelvin is widely regarded as THE best returner in NCAA history.

Mr. Pink
09-24-2008, 03:05 PM
Well if Jenkins is outperforming Hardy in practices and such...that doesn't say a lot for Mr. Hardy now does it?

Considering Jenkins was the 6th WR and basically kept for his special teams coverage abilities.

Mr. Pink
09-24-2008, 03:06 PM
And there's no harm in that, like I said before; McKelvin is widely regarded as THE best returner in NCAA history.

Raghib Ismail!

gr8slayer
09-24-2008, 03:07 PM
Well if Jenkins is outperforming Hardy in practices and such...that doesn't say a lot for Mr. Hardy now does it?

Considering Jenkins was the 6th WR and basically kept for his special teams coverage abilities.
It could just be a case of Jenkins having a better hold on the offense than Hardy. Logically Hardy is going to get more time now than he was before, if he was the #5 guy now he's the #4 guy.

justasportsfan
09-24-2008, 03:07 PM

who cares? Best player takes the field. Kyle Williams has outperformed McCargo. Nuff said.

gr8slayer
09-24-2008, 03:08 PM
Raghib Ismail!
Close, but not on the same level as McKelvin. I had the opportunity to see him live and in action a couple of times, guy is a flat out freak.

syracuse76
well in step hardy and johnson. not quite the way i wanted to see them in there but i guess it will have to do . i guess mclovin will move over to punt returns along with kickoffs im thinking. i like it but i dont like it.

gr8slayer
who cares? Best player takes the field. Kyle Williams has outperformed McCargo. Nuff said.
Exactly, or Edwards outperforming Losman! :couch:

Jan Reimers
09-24-2008, 03:09 PM
If the Jenkins thing is true, it worries me that Hardy isn't progressing faster.

Mr. Pink
09-24-2008, 03:09 PM

That is true, but McCargo had plenty of chance to prove his wares on the field...and failed.

There's a HUGE difference in lighting it up during practice and doing anything in the game.

In the end, what's better, finding out if your 2nd round pick has the ability to shine in the game or if your ST coverage guy can perform as a WR in a game?

Crisis
09-24-2008, 03:10 PM
this sucks but ive been waiting to see what mclovin can do in the return game

justasportsfan
09-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Exactly, or Edwards outperforming Losman! :couch:
exactly. :couch:

Dr. Lecter
It could just be a case of Jenkins having a better hold on the offense than Hardy. Logically Hardy is going to get more time now than he was before, if he was the #5 guy now he's the #4 guy.

It could also be a case of Jenkins being better in the slot and running Roscoe's routes than Hardy. I would speculate that having Hardy, who is almost a foot taller than Roscoe, take on that role might not work.

However, Brown says Hardy will get more work as well as Jenkins:

While Dick Jauron said he anticipates James Hardy having a greater role in the offense with Parrish down for the next 4-6 weeks, I also see Justin Jenkins being a factor as well provided the game plan calls for some spread looks.

If this week's game plan is largely three-wide then Hardy will likely be lining up more than Jenkins on the outside. In four-wide looks I expect to see Jenkins in the slot with Josh Reed.

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=4126

Mr. Pink
exactly. :couch:

You're slowly starting to come around Justa!

I'm proud of you.

:up:

gr8slayer
09-24-2008, 03:12 PM
If the Jenkins thing is true, it worries me that Hardy isn't progressing faster.
Nothing is set in stone and the report from Rotoworld is more speculation than anything. Also, it would make sense that you would have a smaller, faster guy playing the slot. The idea is to get a mismatch on the LB and smaller, faster WR's can generally create that.

Dr. Lecter

Again, it could be that Jenkins is better at the role that Roscoe fills.

Mr. Pink
It could also be a case of Jenkins being better in the slot and running Roscoe's routes than Hardy. I would speculate that having Hardy, who is almost a foot taller than Roscoe, take on that role might not work.

However, Brown says Hardy will get more work as well as Jenkins:

While Dick Jauron said he anticipates James Hardy having a greater role in the offense with Parrish down for the next 4-6 weeks, I also see Justin Jenkins being a factor as well provided the game plan calls for some spread looks.

If this week's game plan is largely three-wide then Hardy will likely be lining up more than Jenkins on the outside. In four-wide looks I expect to see Jenkins in the slot with Josh Reed.

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=4126

Ok, that's better...makes more sense too.

RockStar36
09-24-2008, 03:13 PM
Nobody can sit here and say they won't miss a beat.

Regardless of WR production, his PR production can't be matched. He is one of the best in the league. Everytime he fields a punt you get that feeling he can make something happen. Very few players have that in them. Fred Jackson definitely doens't have that. Don't get me wrong, I like Fred, but he isn't the game breaking PR man that Roscoe is.

justasportsfan
09-24-2008, 03:14 PM
That is true, but McCargo had plenty of chance to prove his wares on the field...and failed.

There's a HUGE difference in lighting it up during practice and doing anything in the game.

In the end, what's better, finding out if your 2nd round pick has the ability to shine in the game or if your ST coverage guy can perform as a WR in a game?
I don't disagree with your concept. However, we are not around at the practices to see what the coaches see and at some point we should let our coaches coach and us sit back and enjoy our first place position ;) .

If we were the Rams , we could play coach on the mb's and it would all be good. Our coaches haven't been wrong enough to lose games yet and deserve the benefit of the doubt as far as their decision making goes.

hydro
09-24-2008, 03:14 PM

Jenkins has been in the system a LOT longer than Hardy. Not to mention Hardy missed valuable practice time in camp which has attributed to his limited action in games. I am not worried at all. If a PS guy takes his spot in a year or two then I will be worried.

gr8slayer
09-24-2008, 03:16 PM

Regardless of WR production, his PR production can't be matched. He is one of the best in the league. Everytime he fields a punt you get that feeling he can make something happen. Very few players have that in them. Fred Jackson definitely doens't have that. Don't get me wrong, I like Fred, but he isn't the game breaking PR man that Roscoe is.
There's no doubt that Parrish is explosive and makes things happen. But we have put ourselves in a very unique situation that not a lot of teams have. We have 5 or 6 guys on the roster right now that have prior experience returning punts and kicks and are more than capable of doing so. Do they have the speed and quickness that Parrish does? No, but they all offer something different that Parrish might not be able to offer.

justasportsfan
09-24-2008, 03:16 PM
You're slowly starting to come around Justa!

I'm proud of you.

I still think JP can be a good qb in this league but it seems like Trent has beter potential and the coaches seem to be right. I still don't think JP sucks . Never said I was sold on him but that he doesn't suck as you guys make him out to be.

Now lets move on with the subject at hand. I know why Jenkins is gonna take more snaps. Roscoe won't be around to translate for Leodis. :D

RockStar36
09-24-2008, 03:17 PM
Well I'm ok with McKelvin returning the punts but I'm not thrilled if Jackson is the one fielding them come Sunday.

gr8slayer
09-24-2008, 03:17 PM
Jenkins has been in the system a LOT longer than Hardy. Not to mention Hardy missed valuable practice time in camp which has attributed to his limited action in games. I am not worried at all. If a PS guy takes his spot in a year or two then I will be worried.
I wouldn't, that would just mean that our scouting department did a great job finding that diamond in the rough with the PS guy.

yordad
09-24-2008, 03:18 PM
And there's no harm in that, like I said before; McKelvin is widely regarded as THE best returner in NCAA history.Oh, those were two independent statements. I was just saying McKelvin was the next best option.

Parrish is one of the best returners in NFL history. NTM, he is a contributing member of our passing game that seemingly has just found a bit of a rhythm. I really felt this was going to be a bit of a breakout year for Parrish offensively. Well, for the entire offense actually.

If the coaches didn't feel he was better then his replacements he wouldn't have been in the game to begin with.

hydro
09-24-2008, 03:18 PM
I wouldn't, that would just mean that our scouting department did a great job finding that diamond in the rough with the PS guy.

Well I would just be worried that we wasted a 2nd round pick :ill:

gr8slayer
09-24-2008, 03:21 PM
Well I would just be worried that we wasted a 2nd round pick :ill:
Sadly, getting 50% of our picks right is a damn good number in comparison to a lot of other teams.

gr8slayer
09-24-2008, 03:22 PM
Oh, those were two independent statements. I was just saying McKelvin was the next best option.

Parrish is one of the best returners in NFL history. NTM, he is a contributing member of our passing game that seemingly has just found a bit of a rhythm. I really felt this was going to be a bit of a breakout year for Parrish offensively. Well, for the entire offense actually.

If the coaches didn't feel he was better then his replacements he wouldn't have been in the game to begin with.
This is a wait and see type thing, Parrish is amazing but McKelvin COULD BE just as, if not more amazing just based on what he's done at the college level.

Mr. Pink
09-24-2008, 03:22 PM

Ok, Parrish averaged 16.3 yards per return last year...which yes did the league...replacing that isn't easy...but league median was 9.5 yards per return last year.

Couple that with Roscoe's career average is 13.5....so over Parrish's career he's produced around 5 yards of field position better than league average basically...last year it was 6.8 yards.

McKelvin was the best returner in the 2008 draft class...do you really believe he'd be at or below league average?

If the Colts lost TJ Rushing 3.5 yards less per return, would it make a difference?

Like I was saying fans overrate Parrish and his contributions because he's flashy and makes the highlight reel.

Wes Welker only averaged 10 yards per return last year...who would you rather have? Nate Burleson 11.3, who would you rather have?

BAM
09-24-2008, 03:24 PM
Well that sucks. Anytime you lose a returner such as Roscoe, it sucks.

RockStar36
09-24-2008, 03:24 PM
Ok, Parrish averaged 16.3 yards per return last year...which yes did the league...replacing that isn't easy...but league median was 9.5 yards per return last year.

Couple that with Roscoe's career average is 13.5....so over Parrish's career he's produced around 5 yards of field position better than league average basically...last year it was 6.8 yards.

McKelvin was the best returner in the 2008 draft class...do you really believe he'd be at or below league average?

If the Colts lost TJ Rushing 3.5 yards less per return, would it make a difference?

Like I was saying fans overrate Parrish and his contributions because he's flashy and makes the highlight reel.

Wes Welker only averaged 10 yards per return last year...who would you rather have? Nate Burleson 11.3, who would you rather have?

I don't overrate Roscoe.

He is the GREATEST EVER.

And he want to the best college EVER.

End of discussion.

RockStar36
09-24-2008, 03:25 PM
This is a wait and see type thing, Parrish is amazing but McKelvin COULD BE just as, if not more amazing just based on what he's done at the college level.

Actually this could be good if McKelvin takes over on punt returns because as of right now he isn't contributing enough to warrant the first round pick.

Dr. Lecter
I don't overrate Roscoe.

He is the GREATEST EVER.

Even though he went to the crappiest college EVER.

End of discussion.

RockStar36

:mad:

We'll see soon enough Doc

Mr. Pink
09-24-2008, 03:26 PM
Oh, those were two independent statements. I was just saying McKelvin was the next best option.

Yeah his 25 catches on average will be difficult to replace. Or his 1.5 TDs per season on offense will be tough to replace.

And best returner in history? I can rattle off 5 guys off the top of my head who were better. He's the best in team history though that's for sure.

Posts like the one above prove my point about how Bills fans overrate Parrish.

John Doe
09-24-2008, 03:26 PM
It's a bad thing to lose depth with the Parrish injury.

I am just relieved that he will not be out the rest of the season and that one of the weeks that he will miss is the "bye."

Dr. Lecter
09-24-2008, 03:27 PM

Roscoe does more than that though.

Look at how other teams punt to him. The last part of last season, teams were short punting out of bounds to avoid the ball getting in his hands. Therefore, they were willing to take a 30 yard punt and no return, rather than a 45 yard punt with the risk of a big play.

Striking fear in the heart of an opponent is quite valuable.

Stewie
09-24-2008, 03:27 PM
mckelvin will make one or two boneheaded rookie plays. Hopefully they don't cost us a possession. We'll be fine on special teams. I'm excited that Hardy is going to see the field more, too

Jan Reimers
09-24-2008, 03:28 PM
Again, it could be that Jenkins is better at the role that Roscoe fills.
Very true. I would just prefer Evans and Hardy (if he were ready) on the outside with Reed in the slot. But Reed has been playing very well, and apparently is not ready to give up the number 2 spot.

gr8slayer
09-24-2008, 03:29 PM
Actually this could be good if McKelvin takes over on punt returns because as of right now he isn't contributing enough to warrant the first round pick.
Hey man, the mark of a great team is a team that doesn't need rookies to step right in and make a difference. I'm sure I'll take flak for this but take Dallas for example; Anthony Spencer is a role player but isn't expected to step in right now and perform, he could if they needed him to but Ellis is playing so well that they can afford to let their first round pick sit there and marinate in the playbook and the philosophy. Hell, how about Meriweather with the Pats?

Mike Jenkins is another example, Martellus Bennett, Carpenter, Felix Jones, ______. A coaches dream is to be so good that the rookies can sit back and just learn, because history shows that players who are allowed to do that generally go on to have more successful careers down the line. We are becoming that team.

Dr. Lecter
09-24-2008, 03:29 PM
mckelvin will make one or two boneheaded rookie plays. Hopefully they don't cost us a possession. We'll be fine on special teams. I'm excited that Hardy is going to see the field more, too

So you are worried about the rookie McKelvin, but not the rookie Hardy?

justasportsfan
09-24-2008, 03:30 PM
It takes time especially since Youboty stepped up.

Stewie
09-24-2008, 03:31 PM
So you are worried about the rookie McKelvin, but not the rookie Hardy?

Catching punts, mckelvin's mistakes would seemingly be more likely to become turnovers... but point taken

methos4ever
09-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Jan, it really shouldn't. Roscoe playing in the slot was something that really Hardy doesn't do...yet. If anything, if Reed had been injured and Hardy wasn't given more reps, then I'd be a bit worried.

Mr. Pink
09-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Roscoe does more than that though.

Look at how other teams punt to him. The last part of last season, teams were short punting out of bounds to avoid the ball getting in his hands. Therefore, they were willing to take a 30 yard punt and no return, rather than a 45 yard punt with the risk of a big play.

Striking fear in the heart of an opponent is quite valuable.

Ok, again....take the average punt return in the NFL in that situation...

Say they boot it 45 yards to a guy who goes 9.5 yards as opposed to just a 30 yard punt out of bounds....the net of the punt is 35.5

We've gained 5.5 yards on the possession...what does an average of 5.5 yards of possession get you at the end of the game on average over the course of an NFL season? 2 points a game?

Dr. Lecter
09-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Ok, again....take the average punt return in the NFL in that situation...

Say they boot it 45 yards to a guy who goes 9.5 yards as opposed to just a 30 yard punt out of bounds....the net of the punt is 35.5

We've gained 5.5 yards on the possession...what does an average of 5.5 yards of possession get you at the end of the game on average over the course of an NFL season? 2 points a game?

I bet Oakland would have loved two more points last Sunday. And the Bills would have loved two more points against Dallas and Denver last year.

gr8slayer
09-24-2008, 03:36 PM
It takes time especially since Youboty stepped up.
That's another great example of what happens when a guy has a chance to sit back and learn instead of being thrown to the wolves. It's paying off in a big way for us now.

yordad
09-24-2008, 03:38 PM
This is a wait and see type thing, Parrish is amazing but McKelvin COULD BE just as, if not more amazing just based on what he's done at the college level.Well, I agree. But, I find it unlikely. Time will tell. I guess when it comes right down to it, Parrish might suck, he might just have the best wedge ever, lol.

Saratoga Slim
09-24-2008, 03:45 PM

I agree. McKelvin isn't getting many snaps at CB, this is a way to get him on the field, more used to the speed of the NFL game etc. Plus, he has good skills as a returner--could do some great things for us.

THATHURMANATOR
09-24-2008, 03:47 PM
I love Roscoe but I don't see this as a huge blow. Mckelvin steps in as well as Hardy.

Jan Reimers
09-24-2008, 03:48 PM
Jan, it really shouldn't. Roscoe playing in the slot was something that really Hardy doesn't do...yet. If anything, if Reed had been injured and Hardy wasn't given more reps, then I'd be a bit worried.
I was just hoping for Hardy to move outside with Evans, with Reed in the slot. But Hardy is apparently not ready to unseat Reed, who has been playing very well.

gr8slayer
09-24-2008, 03:48 PM
I love Roscoe but I don't see this as a huge blow. Mckelvin steps in as well as Hardy.
When was the last time anyone cared what you think?

gr8slayer
09-24-2008, 03:49 PM
I was just hoping for Hardy to move outside with Evans, with Reed in the slot. But Hardy is apparently not ready to unseat Reed, who has been playing very well.
Again, not necessarily a bad thing.

Typ0
09-24-2008, 04:05 PM
This is a huge loss. Parish is a luxury player and when you pay a luxury player you need them on the field. Opponents spend time preparing for Parrish and that is something significant that you won't notice.

Meathead
09-24-2008, 04:22 PM
When was the last time anyone cared what you think?
:popcorn:

Meathead
09-24-2008, 04:23 PM
only missing 4-5 is good news so far but aint out of the woods yet childrens. lots of times they dont make an ir move just to make sure the recovery wont surprise them, he could still be lost for the season at any time

Captain gameboy
09-24-2008, 04:39 PM
This is a huge loss. Parish is a luxury player and when you pay a luxury player you need them on the field. Opponents spend time preparing for Parrish and that is something significant that you won't notice.

I'm hoping to do a lot more noticing of Hardy.

The guy ran a sub 4.5, and he is 6'6" or 6'7"

He better get his stuff together quickly.

trapezeus
09-24-2008, 04:41 PM
i wonder what the time out would have been if it was his ring finger and not the thumb. you can't really cast the thumb and not effect catching balls. other fingers, i feel like you could get away with it. Who knows.

Typ0
09-24-2008, 05:10 PM
I'm hoping to do a lot more noticing of Hardy.

The guy ran a sub 4.5, and he is 6'6" or 6'7"

He better get his stuff together quickly.

there aren't a whole lot of receivers who jump into the NFL and are successful right away though.

zone
09-24-2008, 06:22 PM
there aren't a whole lot of receivers who jump into the NFL and are successful right away though.
Except for this year.

patmoran2006
09-24-2008, 07:23 PM
Generally your right, but this year seems an exception.. DeSean Jackson and Eddie Royal are tearing **** up, and neither was that highly heralded, especially Royal.

That's what worries me a bit about Donnie Avery on Sunday.

DynaPaul
09-24-2008, 07:48 PM
How in the hell did he magically get a thumb injury? Put a brace on it Roscoe and get in there!

Typ0
09-24-2008, 10:48 PM
Except for this year.

so you have a couple of examples and all of a sudden this year is different? I don't know. I think it will work out. Get this fixed and get the player back on the field for the playoff games. Sounds good to me.

HHURRICANE
09-25-2008, 07:48 AM
I guess Parish catching the TD to help us win last week got lost on everyone. Wait til Hardy drops the same pass in the same situation.

I can't believe people think that we won't miss a beat.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
09-25-2008, 08:13 AM
We are going to have injuries.

Just glad he should be back and ready for the stretch run, which is where we will really need him .

madness
09-25-2008, 08:25 AM
What's this Jenkins talk? I want Steve Johnson on the field now!

dannyek71
09-25-2008, 08:30 AM
not sure why there is so much love for johnson. Jenkins did a pretty good job in camp. While I don't see him as the second coming of Jerry Rice, I'd look for him to turn a head or two.

justasportsfan
09-25-2008, 08:35 AM
Hardy is a weapon in the redzone. Maybe our coaches see Jenkins as more ready in the open field getting to the redzone than Hardy. :idunno:

ghz in pittsburgh
09-25-2008, 08:37 AM
If Chris Brown is reliable - so far he is - I'd bet Jenkins will be the 3rd wide out in 3 receiver set.

madness
09-25-2008, 08:45 AM
not sure why there is so much love for johnson. Jenkins did a pretty good job in camp. While I don't see him as the second coming of Jerry Rice, I'd look for him to turn a head or two.

So did Johnson and I think he turned more then just a head or two. The guy already has an NFL frame and plucks balls out the air. Pair him with Reed in the slot and our WR corp suddenly becomes much more physical as well. He's obviously more raw than Jenkins but I still see him as a better option in the long run.

justasportsfan
09-25-2008, 08:47 AM
So did Johnson and I think he turned more then just a head or two. The guy already has an NFL frame and plucks balls out the air. Pair him with Reed in the slot and our WR corp suddenly becomes much more physical as well. He's obviously more raw than Jenkins but I still see him as a better option in the long run.
I think the coaches would know better than any of us .

Dr. Lecter
09-25-2008, 08:50 AM
Long run? Sure.

This Sunday? Probably not.

madness
09-25-2008, 08:54 AM
Long run? Sure.

This Sunday? Probably not.

I can dream. :tongue:

I'm just not too crazy about Jenkins. I hope he proves me wrong because we can't afford another ghost receiver on the field.