PDA

View Full Version : Ill be the GM!

DraftBoy
09-24-2008, 05:23 PM
Ok Ive been working on this for about a week now, and we are going to fast forward to end of this year and being knocked out of the playoffs in the Wildcard game and we are picking 21st in the draft. Here is what I would do over the next three offseason to go from fringe playoff team to Super Bowl contenders. I will also be attaching an excel file with the Depth Charts so that all the moves can be tracked including who I think would get cut.

2009 Offseason:
Bills FA:
QB Gibril Hamdan-1yr Deal
Solid 3rd QB for next season but nothing to depend on
QB JP Losman-X
No way he would resign
RB Fred Jackson-X
I think he will get a big offer from a team like Arizona who is a 1000 yd back away and can afford to lose the pick. Note: Im not assuming those picks when it comes to the 09 draft projection.
WR Justin Jenkins-Qualify
ST'er and good 6th WR
WR Roscoe Parrish-Resign Long Term
No doubt we need Roscoe for at least his return skills and he is becoming a dangerous slot option
OT Kirk Chambers-X
Bum!
OC Melvin Fowler-X
Bum!
OG Duke Preston-X
I think another team may offer him more money for his versatility
DE Copeland Bryan-X
Don't see a need for him on the roster any longer
LB John DiGorgia-Resign Long term
Valuable depth LB
CB Jabari Greer-X
We have McKelvin and Corner and we picked them for a reason
FS George Wilson-X
Another team will offer him a starting job

NFL FA's:
QB Rex Grossman-2yr deal
We need a veteran and Grossman can come in here sign a short term deal look good in the pre-season and maybe get another shot somewhere else after his time here.
DL Dwan Edwards-2 yr deal
Can start opposite Schobel and is versatile enough to play outside on 1st and 2nd Down and could move inside on 3rd down.
LB Bart Scott-5 yd deal
Our big FA signing! Scott will easily replace and outshine where Crowell comes from and should make our defense scary good for a front 7.
OG Mike Goff-2 yr deal
Need some veteran OG help in case of injuries and to replace Preston.
RB Correll Buckhalter-2 yr deal
Injury history but looks fully recovered and could be a good #2 back to replace Jackson.

2009 NFL Draft:
1. DE Brian Orkapo-Texas
One word....Freak! This guy is physical freak, he is 6-4, 260 and runs a 4.73. He is the complete DE that teams covet but is a little raw but has produced more than his other counter part DE Michael Johnson which is why he slides some.
2. OLB Sean Weatherspoon-Missouri
Ellison is an ok backup but Weatherspoon could be a playmaker. Also will replace Mitchell in a few seasons and dominate opposite Scott. Plays sideline to sideline and can play the run or drop back in coverage.
3. FS Otis Wiley-Michigan State
Could use another returner if McKelvin is going to be a full time CB next season. Wiley is a big time playmaking FS who plays the CF position well. He could really push Ko for some time early on.
4. OC Antonie Caldwell-Alabama
With no OC's on the roster I think this pick is kind of our duh pick of the draft. I like his run blocking a lot and I think he could be an immediate starter for us.
5. TE Jared Cook-South Carolina
Receiving TE who can split out wide to show some variation in our offensive play calling. Receiving threat we have all been calling for.
6. OC Jon Cooper-Oklahoma
Another OC?? Yes we need to have some insurance in case Caldwell goes down and Cooper is a leader and can play some OG too if needed.
7. OT Lydon Murtha-Nebraska
Kirk Chambers replacement, big OT with some athletic ability.

2010:
Bills FA's:
WR Lee Evans-Resign
No real decision here, we need him on this team
WR Josh Reed-X
Sorry to see him go but Hardy needs time and his production can be replaced
CB Terrance McGee-X
Do you want Youboty or McGee...I went with Youboty
CB Ashton Youboty-Resign
Really has emerged this year as a viable CB who could start
FS Ko Simpson-Resign
Will fight with Wiley for starting position

NFL FA's:
CB Will Allen-3 yr deal
Cheap depth CB
WR Kassim Osgood-1 yr deal
Good size at WR could be a red zone threat.
OLB Akeem Jordan-1 yr deal
Quick LB worth a shot as he fits the Cover 2 scheme

2010 Draft:
1. DT Ricky-Jean Francois-LSU
Dynamic Defensive Tackle who could fill in immediately next to Stroud and learn from him. Can press the pocket or shoot the gap.
2. WR Carl Moore-Florida
Big tall WR with good speed, former JUCO standout who is 6'4 and out of the slot is extremely dangerous.
3. TE Dennis Pitta-BYU
Another Receiving TE who has a nose from the end zone. Good size and hands.
4. RB Emmanuel Moody-Florida
Buried at Florida this season but a dangerous RB with good size and speed.
5. CB Jarius Byrd-Oregon
Good zone coverage CB with great size and speed. Can also return kicks and punts.
6. OG Lyle Hitt-LSU
A little undersized but a true gamer who never gives up on a block.
7. QB Jonathan Crompton-Tennesee
Good arm, size, and athleticism but needs some serious coaching after Fulmer screwing him all up.

2011:
Bills FA:
QB Trent Edwards-Long Term Deal
Leader of this team and is growing quickly into that role. Lock him up.
TE Robert Royal-X
Pitta and Cook mean that he can go bye bye
OT Jason Peters-Should be done this year, but if its not then long term
Will be done before the season is out
DE Chris Kelsay-X
Overpayed and now gone in favor of better options
DT John McCargo-X
Bad pick who never panned out
DT Marcus Stroud-2 yr deal
May be a risk signing but you gotta reward the guy for his contributions and he may have something still in the tank
LB Paul Posluzny-Long Term Deal
Fire lighter on Defense, controls the middle and finishes tackles

NFL FA's:
TE Scott Chandler-3 yr deal
Good blocking TE who can catch the ball when needed
OG Kasey Studdard-3 yr deal
Need some youth infusion behind Dockery and with Whittle being gone
QB Seneca Wallace-3 yr deal
Nice option who has proven he can manage a team and provides a nice wrinkle

2011 NFL Draft:
1. OT Anthony Davis-Rutgers
Absolutely killer OT who is probably best suited at LT but could play RT too. If Bell is not ready to take over for Walker, and Im not sure he would be Davis can step in day 1.
2. SS Chad Jones-LSU
Big time playmaker, big time hitter. Was an athlete at LSU and could be a playmaker we lack at SS. Will immediately push Whitner for time.
3. OLB Brian Smith-Notre Dame
Fast OLB who excels at chasing down plays. Will eventually replace Scott.
4. QB Adam Weber-Minnesota
A true developmental prospect at QB who could be a starter one day in this league.
5. FB Charles Clay-Tulsa
Dual threat FB who can carry the rock or block.
6. WR Demaryius Thomas-Georgia Tech
A true playmaker who lacks top end speed but can jump out of the building. He will fall because of Tech's new option offense.
7. DE Jave Howard-Florida
Little lower on the list of UF defensive playmakers but could be a bit of a sleeper.

shelby
09-24-2008, 05:26 PM
i appreciate the effort you put into this, DB.

However, it is blasphemous to say we're eliminated from the playoffs....:jk:

In all seriousness, i would hate to see Fred Jackson leave. He's one of my new favorites.

DraftBoy
09-24-2008, 05:28 PM
i appreciate the effort you put into this, DB.

However, it is blasphemous to say we're eliminated from the playoffs....:jk:

In all seriousness, i would hate to see Fred Jackson leave. He's one of my new favorites.

Eliminated in Round 1, so we at least make it.

I dont know if we can keep him. He's going to be a hot commodity even as a RFA.

m1orenz
09-24-2008, 05:34 PM
Kyle Williams has 5 yrs left with the bills
roscoe was re-signed last yr

DraftBoy
09-24-2008, 05:37 PM
Kyle Williams has 5 yrs left with the bills
roscoe was re-signed last yr

Used KFFL FA tracker so that's why it may be wrong. Fixed it just get rid of Branch in the 2010 FA signings.

gr8slayer
09-24-2008, 05:48 PM
LB Bart Scott-5 yd deal

Would never happen, not a "Buffalo type" guy.

DraftBoy
09-24-2008, 06:08 PM
We could use a little change and maybe a few not a "Buffalo guys" to get us over the hump.

patmoran2006
09-24-2008, 06:12 PM
Yeah Roscoe signed an extension last year already.

DraftBoy
09-24-2008, 06:30 PM
Yeah Roscoe signed an extension last year already.

Yes that was already pointed out. KFFL was wrong. Thanks for the info.

patmoran2006
09-24-2008, 06:32 PM
Well I can point this out to ya as well.

Assuming he continues to play well, there is not a chance in hell, even with the old scrooge fossil running the team, that Trent Evans would go beyond 2009 at the latest, without being extende.

gr8slayer
09-24-2008, 06:55 PM
Hey DB! Parrish was already re-signed, he was re-signed! Christ people, once is enough.

DraftBoy
Well I can point this out to ya as well.

Assuming he continues to play well, there is not a chance in hell, even with the old scrooge fossil running the team, that Trent Evans would go beyond 2009 at the latest, without being extende.

I choose not to predict extensions, I just decided to resign when the deals expired.

hydro
Who is Trent Evans?

DraftBoy
09-24-2008, 06:56 PM
Who is Trent Evans?
I think it was Pat speak for meaning both Trent Edwards and Lee Evans...not 100% sure though.

gr8slayer
09-24-2008, 06:57 PM
Bum!Hey ass! That's my line!

gr8slayer
09-24-2008, 06:57 PM
Who is Trent Evans?
You don't know who Trent Evans is?

Captain gameboy
09-24-2008, 08:01 PM
Lee Edwards brother.

gil
09-24-2008, 08:58 PM
So, you would count on a 4th round pick to be our starting center?

Thanks for the food for thought and the work you put in though...

yordad
09-24-2008, 09:26 PM
DB, are there no available FA center upgrades available.... again? And, is this draft of centers better then the last?

DraftBoy
09-24-2008, 09:36 PM
So, you would count on a 4th round pick to be our starting center?

Thanks for the food for thought and the work you put in though...

Yes I really like the depth of this OC class.

DraftBoy
09-24-2008, 09:38 PM
DB, are there no available FA center upgrades available.... again? And, is this draft of centers better then the last?

See for yourself about the FA to be; http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=OL&y=2009

That list isn't 100% accurate but its a good idea at least.

Yes I like this OC class much better than last years.

jpdex12
09-24-2008, 10:01 PM
Used KFFL FA tracker so that's why it may be wrong. Fixed it just get rid of Branch in the 2010 FA signings.

Try dumping KFFL FA Tracker and actually pay attention to the week to week going ons and you won't need KFFL FA Tracker...:rolleyes:

gr8slayer
09-24-2008, 10:06 PM
Try dumping KFFL FA Tracker and actually pay attention to the week to week going ons and you won't need KFFL FA Tracker...:rolleyes:
Wow..... Let's see your three year plan.

Dr. Lecter
09-25-2008, 07:23 AM

Yeah, because I am sure it is easy to memorize the status of every player in the NFL.

jamze132
09-25-2008, 07:25 AM
I love how people can plan out 4th round draft picks 3 weeks into the NFL season as well as college season.

shelby
09-25-2008, 07:25 AM
wow...someone takes a lot of time and effort to come up with an in depth analysis of possible moves the FO may make, and he promptly gets ragged on...
Nice.
:sigh:

Dujek
09-25-2008, 07:31 AM
wow...someone takes a lot of time and effort to come up with an in depth analysis of possible moves the FO may make, and he promptly gets ragged on...
Nice.
:sigh:

Well with the team winning these guys need someone to rag on.

hydro
09-25-2008, 07:33 AM

Please tell me you are being sarcastic...

Dr. Lecter
09-25-2008, 07:37 AM
BTW, Parrish signed an extension last year. :D

SABURZFAN
09-25-2008, 07:37 AM
the title of this thread scares me when i see who started it. :couch: :snicker:

SABURZFAN
09-25-2008, 07:39 AM
Please tell me you are being sarcastic...

i thought it was funny.

mayotm
09-25-2008, 07:50 AM
Nice.
:sigh:Yes, he obviously spent quite a bit of time on it and it's an amusing read. However, it's also a bit insane. Trying to figure out what's going to happen tomorrow in the NFL is nearly impossible, let alone 3 - 4 years down the line.

patmoran2006
09-25-2008, 07:52 AM
Hey Draftboy.

Just wanted to let you know, my wife said to tell you that Roscoe Parrish signed an extension last year.

SABURZFAN
09-25-2008, 08:38 AM
Hey Draftboy.

Just wanted to let you know, my wife said to tell you that Roscoe Parrish signed an extension last year.

:rofl:

gr8slayer
09-25-2008, 09:26 AM
I love how people can plan out 4th round draft picks 3 weeks into the NFL season as well as college season.
Quit being an ass. The guy went to a lot of work to put it together and this is the kind of crap he gets? Since you are the all knowing why don't you put your three year plan together so we can criticize it. Having a pretty good idea of how things work in the league when it comes to the scouting department I can tell you that DB knows far more than 98% of the board ever will when it comes to the draft.

justasportsfan
09-25-2008, 09:29 AM
I can tell you that DB knows far more than 98% of the board ever will when it comes to the draft.
I agree. Good thing I'm part of the 2% .

gr8slayer
09-25-2008, 09:30 AM
I agree. Good thing I'm part of the 2% .
I'd be curious to see your three year plan :D

justasportsfan
09-25-2008, 09:36 AM
I'd be curious to see your three year plan :D

Win the sb the next 3 years. :bravo:

jamze132
09-26-2008, 06:19 AM
Quit being an ass. The guy went to a lot of work to put it together and this is the kind of crap he gets? Since you are the all knowing why don't you put your three year plan together so we can criticize it. Having a pretty good idea of how things work in the league when it comes to the scouting department I can tell you that DB knows far more than 98% of the board ever will when it comes to the draft.

Sorry if I sounded like I was ragging on him, I really wasn't trying to. I do appreciate the hard work that DB does on this board. I just don't see the point in trying to figure out this far from the draft who we are going to draft in the later rounds. There are so many variables that go into that not to mention the players actual play on the field for this season. :rockon:

jamze132
09-26-2008, 06:20 AM
Heres my 3 year plan.

Cheer for the Bills no matter who gets drafted and drink a lot of beer while doing so.

Dujek
09-26-2008, 06:22 AM
Heres my 3 year plan.

Cheer for the Bills no matter who gets drafted and drink a lot of beer while doing so.

Best plan I've heard in ages.

:hi5:

jamze132
09-26-2008, 12:55 PM
Best plan I've heard in ages.

:hi5:
I knew you would approve my fellow Irishman!

gr8slayer
09-26-2008, 04:40 PM
Sorry if I sounded like I was ragging on him, I really wasn't trying to. I do appreciate the hard work that DB does on this board. I just don't see the point in trying to figure out this far from the draft who we are going to draft in the later rounds. There are so many variables that go into that not to mention the players actual play on the field for this season. :rockon:
I promise you that nearly every scouting department in the NFL looks at least three years in advance. Some even more so.

jpdex12
09-26-2008, 10:36 PM
Wow..... Let's see your three year plan.

Why do we need a three year plan? This EXACT team may not need three years to win a ring. Look at the friggin Yankees! You can put all of the talent you can find on a team and not make the playoffs. It doesn't matter. If you can't get a group of guys to gel together and play as a complete team you aren't going anywhere.

I've stayed up hours on end trying to analyze the perfect group of players we could set out to draft or pick up or trade for and guess what? It's a friggin waste of time because we aren't running the team. What do you win a Cracker Jack prize if you get it right? NO! But it's fun...

It really sucks though when you spend hours spinning some scenarios and then some dolt points out that you recommend to resign a guy who was just resigned and it ruins any credibility to your work. Makes you look clueless. Been there and unfortunately so was DB.

So quit neg repping me and quit acting like the savior of the wrongly accused, I've got a valid point.

gr8slayer
09-26-2008, 11:42 PM
Why do we need a three year plan? This EXACT team may not need three years to win a ring. Look at the friggin Yankees! You can put all of the talent you can find on a team and not make the playoffs. It doesn't matter. If you can't get a group of guys to gel together and play as a complete team you aren't going anywhere.

I've stayed up hours on end trying to analyze the perfect group of players we could set out to draft or pick up or trade for and guess what? It's a friggin waste of time because we aren't running the team. What do you win a Cracker Jack prize if you get it right? NO! But it's fun...

It really sucks though when you spend hours spinning some scenarios and then some dolt points out that you recommend to resign a guy who was just resigned and it ruins any credibility to your work. Makes you look clueless. Been there and unfortunately so was DB.

So quit neg repping me and quit acting like the savior of the wrongly accused, I've got a valid point.
No, you really don't have a valid point. DB is a SCOUT, he spends hours SCOUTING players on every level. He watches film, writes his notes, watches more film, writes more notes, and he figures he'll share with us what he's found. What the hell do you care if he spends his time doing this? It's none of your freaking business and honestly the fact that you bash someone's hobby/job shows just how ignorant you are.

And the credibility issue; who the **** cares? I follow the NFL as closely as any 'expert' and I find myself making similar mistakes all the time. Why don't you write a similar article and let me find the flaws in it.

And hey, guess what Einstein, HE'S A STAFF MEMBER FOR THIS MESSAGE BOARD. Part of being a staff member is putting in the time to come up with original content for the board. He has chosen to do this, all of us on the staff have chosen to do this. If you have a problem with it please, put us on ignore because we're going to keep having a good time with you or without you.

jpdex12
09-26-2008, 11:56 PM
No, you really don't have a valid point. DB is a SCOUT, he spends hours SCOUTING players on every level. He watches film, writes his notes, watches more film, writes more notes, and he figures he'll share with us what he's found. What the hell do you care if he spends his time doing this? It's none of your freaking business and honestly the fact that you bash someone's hobby/job shows just how ignorant you are.

And the credibility issue; who the **** cares? I follow the NFL as closely as any 'expert' and I find myself making similar mistakes all the time. Why don't you write a similar article and let me find the flaws in it.

And hey, guess what Einstein, HE'S A STAFF MEMBER FOR THIS MESSAGE BOARD. Part of being a staff member is putting in the time to come up with original content for the board. He has chosen to do this, all of us on the staff have chosen to do this. If you have a problem with it please, put us on ignore because we're going to keep having a good time with you or without you.

That's a matter of opinion just like I shared with you in my last post Oh Legendary Zoner. I don't care either, we're all free to do whatever. Just making an observation. Guess it came off sounding harsh. Didn't mean to pee in your soup or DB's soup.

BTW, if he's a SCOUT and you follow the NFL as much as any NFL Analyst what do you do in your spare time? Live off the government? Is this really Ron Jaworski I'm talking to? Dude go take an enema. :poop:

gr8slayer
09-26-2008, 11:57 PM
That's a matter of opinion just like I shared with you in my last post Oh Legendary Zoner. I don't care either, we're all free to do whatever. Just making an observation. Guess it came off sounding harsh. Didn't mean to pee in your soup or DB's soup.

BTW, if he's a SCOUT and you follow the NFL as much as any NFL Analyst what do you do in your spare time? Live off the government? Is this really Ron Jaworski I'm talking to? Dude go take an enema. :poop:
Yeah, I live off the government. They pay for my trips to watch the Bills play every year. You should try it some time.

jamze132
09-27-2008, 05:02 PM
I promise you that nearly every scouting department in the NFL looks at least three years in advance. Some even more so.
Of course they do but OBD isn't formulating right now who they are going to draft in the 5th round of the 2009 NFL Draft.

gr8slayer
09-27-2008, 05:10 PM
Of course they do but OBD isn't formulating right now who they are going to draft in the 5th round of the 2009 NFL Draft.
If they aren't they are in the minority. Some teams have over a hundred scouts in their scouting department who do exactly what DB is doing all year. You might look at it and think that it's a waste of life/time but honestly, these guys eat this **** up and love every second of it. Scary thing is they are right a decent portion of the time.

yordad
09-27-2008, 08:13 PM
I am glad DB knows a lot. Who else am I gonna ask some of these questions.

DraftBoy
09-28-2008, 11:11 PM
Let me address a few things as I was away from my computer recently and didn't fee right responding via only my blackberry.

1. I do this in my spare time, thankfully for me I had a job before which allowed me to work from home and I could multi-task now I have an office and a desk so things will be slightly more limited. Why do I do this though? Well because A) Im good at it, B) Nobody else does it here, and C) I like to share. Am I always right? Nope, and I often right? Yes, but that retorts back to A and also why some people don't like what I write or the way I present my opinion, which is fine for them, it doesnt bother me in the least.

2. I was wrong about Parrish, but does it destroy my credibility? No, if anything it hurts KFFL.com which is a well known and credible website. If you noticed about 2 months back I asked for help in finding a site that listed up to date contracts status of all NFL players. Nobody volunteered anything so I found KFFL. If anybody has a better source, I wish they would of shared it at that time or via a PM. Like others have pointed out I was resigning Parrish anyways so the point is mute. It does not take away in any way one thing from the article overall or the point that is being made.

3. To think that we could win the SB this year with this team who has now struggled two consecutive weeks, has little to no playoff experience and has still not proven anything, is getting way ahead of ourselves. To think we could do it next year or the following is still risking it too much. It took Peyton Manning and all the talent he had multiple years (and multiple drafts) to get the right assortment of talent and some of our best players are not spring chickens themselves.

4. If we are not already evaluating prospects for the 2012 NFL Draft then our scouting department is failing to do its job on the most basic of levels. You don't go to a college game and evaluate players that are just in the next years class. They should already have preliminary rankings lists of players by position at the very least, imo.

5. Does anybody have anything they want to mention about the actual roster moves that I choose to make??

gr8slayer
09-28-2008, 11:14 PM
Let me address a few things as I was away from my computer recently and didn't fee right responding via only my blackberry.

1. I do this in my spare time, thankfully for me I had a job before which allowed me to work from home and I could multi-task now I have an office and a desk so things will be slightly more limited. Why do I do this though? Well because A) Im good at it, B) Nobody else does it here, and C) I like to share. Am I always right? Nope, and I often right? Yes, but that retorts back to A and also why some people don't like what I write or the way I present my opinion, which is fine for them, it doesnt bother me in the least.

2. I was wrong about Parrish, but does it destroy my credibility? No, if anything it hurts KFFL.com which is a well known and credible website. If you noticed about 2 months back I asked for help in finding a site that listed up to date contracts status of all NFL players. Nobody volunteered anything so I found KFFL. If anybody has a better source, I wish they would of shared it at that time or via a PM. Like others have pointed out I was resigning Parrish anyways so the point is mute. It does not take away in any way one thing from the article overall or the point that is being made.

3. To think that we could win the SB this year with this team who has now struggled two consecutive weeks, has little to no playoff experience and has still not proven anything, is getting way ahead of ourselves. To think we could do it next year or the following is still risking it too much. It took Peyton Manning and all the talent he had multiple years (and multiple drafts) to get the right assortment of talent and some of our best players are not spring chickens themselves.

4. If we are not already evaluating prospects for the 2012 NFL Draft then our scouting department is failing to do its job on the most basic of levels. You don't go to a college game and evaluate players that are just in the next years class. They should already have preliminary rankings lists of players by position at the very least, imo.

5. Does anybody have anything they want to mention about the actual roster moves that I choose to make??
I do........

We already re-signed Parrish.

gr8slayer
09-28-2008, 11:15 PM
Just busting your balls, I have some stuff but I'm f'in tired and you probably already know where we'd disagree.

DraftBoy
09-28-2008, 11:17 PM
Don't make me ban you from this thread...

gr8slayer
09-28-2008, 11:20 PM
Don't make me ban you from this thread...
:rofl: I just think it's hilarious that people get so worked up about the dumbest ****.

Michael82
09-29-2008, 02:56 AM
Wow! That was pretty detailed and interesting. I hope the team disagrees with you about Greer though. He's our best CB currently.

DraftBoy
09-29-2008, 05:57 AM
Wow! That was pretty detailed and interesting. I hope the team disagrees with you about Greer though. He's our best CB currently.

But he's not a pro bowl level CB, unless he's the best he can always be improved upon. No matter how popular he is with the fan base. Until we strive the nothing less than the best, we will continue to fall short imo.

Dr. Lecter
09-29-2008, 06:06 AM
But he's not a pro bowl level CB, unless he's the best he can always be improved upon. No matter how popular he is with the fan base. Until we strive the nothing less than the best, we will continue to fall short imo.

I agree with you, in theory, but to say any player not all pro bowl level needs to approved on is a nice theory but is not practical. A team of Pro Bowl level players is not always successful (See Dallas last year).

What is more important is chemistry and the ability to play within a scheme. I have no problems improving on Greer (And I an not as big of a fan of his as some others are), but having the best individuals at each position is not practical especially with FA, a cap and how teams need to work together.

You can strive to be the best TEAM with players like Greer. Very easily.

DraftBoy
09-29-2008, 07:15 AM
I agree with you, in theory, but to say any player not all pro bowl level needs to approved on is a nice theory but is not practical. A team of Pro Bowl level players is not always successful (See Dallas last year).

What is more important is chemistry and the ability to play within a scheme. I have no problems improving on Greer (And I an not as big of a fan of his as some others are), but having the best individuals at each position is not practical especially with FA, a cap and how teams need to work together.

You can strive to be the best TEAM with players like Greer. Very easily.

You think Greer is the best CB we can get for our scheme?

I have no issue with him, but I think he can certainly be improved upon. Thats all Im saying. I dont hold the same allegiance to players as some fans do.

The theory is what the whole thing is, its impossible to literally run the entire AFC Pro Bowl team out there every Sunday but that doesnt make a dynasty like NE stop from trying to do it or from constantly improving upon themselves. You never settle at any position unless you have the best like they do at QB. And when Brady is done they will move on, they wont hold onto him because he is a fan favorite, they will move on because its how their personnell system works. Could that work in Buffalo? I dont know...this is a franchise and fan base that is not that cut throat and extremely sentimental towards players regardless of skill level. To me imo thats a weakness, but its not one that can't be overcome. It will just take longer to do so.

Dr. Lecter
09-29-2008, 07:34 AM
You think Greer is the best CB we can get for our scheme?

I have no issue with him, but I think he can certainly be improved upon. Thats all Im saying. I dont hold the same allegiance to players as some fans do.

The theory is what the whole thing is, its impossible to literally run the entire AFC Pro Bowl team out there every Sunday but that doesnt make a dynasty like NE stop from trying to do it or from constantly improving upon themselves. You never settle at any position unless you have the best like they do at QB. And when Brady is done they will move on, they wont hold onto him because he is a fan favorite, they will move on because its how their personnell system works. Could that work in Buffalo? I dont know...this is a franchise and fan base that is not that cut throat and extremely sentimental towards players regardless of skill level. To me imo thats a weakness, but its not one that can't be overcome. It will just take longer to do so.

Well, there you go again.

I clearly stated I am not sold on Greer. You are the one who said "But he's not a pro bowl level CB". Now, if we take that literally (something you have repeatedly stressed we should do) it at least implies that anything not at a Pro Bowl level is not good enough.

And I never said, implied or otherwise, that the Bills hold onto any players due to sentimental value. I don't know where you got that idea from.

I simply made the point that not all players will be Pro bowlers and that looking at talent alone is not always the answer. Tom Brady is the best QB in the NFL, but he is not the most talented. I have no problem replacing Greer and I expect him to be gone after this year (he will get overpaid) and we will see McKelvin starting next year.

Ialso think saying this franchise is not cut throat is wrong. Going back all the way to the day they cut 3 Hall of Famers on one day, they let guys go when it is time. If they were overly sentimental, players like Fletcher would still be here.

BlackMetalNinja
09-29-2008, 07:45 AM
Draftboy... get a job already :snicker: Way more time and effort than I'd be able to ever put into something like this. :bf1:

DraftBoy
09-29-2008, 11:17 AM
Well, there you go again.

I clearly stated I am not sold on Greer. You are the one who said "But he's not a pro bowl level CB". Now, if we take that literally (something you have repeatedly stressed we should do) it at least implies that anything not at a Pro Bowl level is not good enough.

And I never said, implied or otherwise, that the Bills hold onto any players due to sentimental value. I don't know where you got that idea from.

I simply made the point that not all players will be Pro bowlers and that looking at talent alone is not always the answer. Tom Brady is the best QB in the NFL, but he is not the most talented. I have no problem replacing Greer and I expect him to be gone after this year (he will get overpaid) and we will see McKelvin starting next year.

Ialso think saying this franchise is not cut throat is wrong. Going back all the way to the day they cut 3 Hall of Famers on one day, they let guys go when it is time. If they were overly sentimental, players like Fletcher would still be here.

Not being sold on Greer and not thinking he is not the best fit for our system could be two different things. Im not sold on Edwards but he fits what we are trying to do right now.

He's not a pro bowl level CB and until we have that then no we are not good enough. To strive for or settle for anything less is pointless. If you aren't trying to get the best players then how could you try and be the best team.

Why would Fletcher still be here? He's not a hometown guy or a player that was drafted by us, he was a FA signing, there is no sentiment towards him.

Im talking about guys who kept on board pretty much because they are fan favorites and not because they actually are the best at their skill level that are available. Coy Wire comes to mind, a guy who was all heart and unmatched at that level but was severly overmatched skill wise. There are other examples too, and yes the argument can be made that maybe the org valued his skills more than I do, but then again I dont put much faith in this organizations ability to value skill in the last decade because we've all seen where that got us.