PDA

View Full Version : Sabres cap hit in 09/10 is........

Dr. Lecter
09-24-2008, 09:26 PM
41.189 million already.

This is with 14 players under contract on the roster with NHL experience.

It does not count guys like Gerbe, Kennedy, Butler, etc.

The 2 goalies (Miller, Lalime), 5 d-men (Paestch, Weber, Tallinder, Lydman and Rivet), and 7 forwards (Pominville, Vanek, Roy, Mair, Paille, Gaustad, and Hecht)

(I did not count Gragnani).

RFA's are: Sekera, Funk, Kaleta, MacArthur, and Stafford.

UFA's are: Max, Tim, Kotalik, Peters, Darche, Spacek and Teppo.

Next offseason will be very interesting. They will not have much money to sign many guys. I think next season players like Gerbe and Kennedy will have to be in Buffalo and maybe Zagrapan too. If they re-sign their 3 RFA forwards, that gives them 10 so all three of those might have to be in the bigs.

Link. (http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=BUF&season=0809)

BlackMetalNinja
09-25-2008, 07:04 AM
RFA's are: Funk

UFA's are: Max, Tim, Peters, Darche, and Teppo.

:wave: Bye guys!

jamze132
09-25-2008, 07:32 AM
We do have some decent prospects though...

RockStar36
09-25-2008, 07:37 AM
Hopefully Max plays well the first half and the Sabres deal him for something worthwhile during the season.

rbochan
09-25-2008, 07:39 AM
:wave: Bye guys!
I would add MacArthur to your list.

Philagape
09-25-2008, 10:43 AM
After the Pominville signing, I was thinking, this is it. This is the team's core for the forseeable future. Vanek-Roy-Pominville-Miller are the stars who will lead them wherever they go. And the first year's results show they've got a long way to go.
We'll see how well they've drafted now.

BlackMetalNinja
09-25-2008, 11:33 AM
I would add MacArthur to your list.I debated that one...

Dr. Lecter
09-25-2008, 11:43 AM
If they can keep him this year, Mac will be around next year. He is chea,p,young depth who can kill penalties, play on the PP and play a regular shift.

Not a great player, but acceptable on the 3rd line.

Ebenezer
09-25-2008, 07:11 PM
They will not have much money to sign many guys.

Which is why I contend that DB, CD and BC were never on the long term radar for this team.

Typ0
09-25-2008, 08:26 PM
Not a great player, but acceptable on the 3rd line.

We went from great players on all lines to not so great players on some lines. That is a big difference and I'm not ready to just accept that. I don't think the team is either.

BlackMetalNinja
09-26-2008, 07:18 AM
We went from great players on all lines to not so great players on some lines. That is a big difference and I'm not ready to just accept that. I don't think the team is either.Please find the money to have great players on all lines again, I'd like to see what you come up with.

Typ0
09-26-2008, 07:45 AM
Please find the money to have great players on all lines again, I'd like to see what you come up with.

we must have had the money at one time...

hydro
09-26-2008, 07:45 AM
We went from great players on all lines to not so great players on some lines. That is a big difference and I'm not ready to just accept that. I don't think the team is either.

Wow...

Dr. Lecter
09-26-2008, 07:48 AM
we must have had the money at one time...

Not really.

When they had that team, the new era of FA, salary cap and the CBA had fully hit. They had players whom were under deals made before all of the new stuff had taken effect. Not to mention they are now older and looking for bigger deals.

BlackMetalNinja
09-26-2008, 07:57 AM
Not really.

When they had that team, the new era of FA, salary cap and the CBA had fully hit. They had players whom were under deals made before all of the new stuff had taken effect. Not to mention they are now older and looking for bigger deals.Exactly... nobody knew half those guys were going to be as good as they are and they weren't making crap at that point. Now they all have/will be requiring new deals and much more money.

Once again, another person that makes a claim of "this is how the team should look", but can't provide me examples that fit within the budget. I think you're about #4-5 in the past few months, good work :up:

RockStar36
09-26-2008, 03:17 PM
I think you guys are all idiots.

If they signed all the stars like DB, CD, and BC to lifetime extensions when they first came to Buffalo we would be losing in the conference finals every year.

Ebenezer
09-26-2008, 03:20 PM

If they signed all the stars like DB, CD, and BC to lifetime extensions when they first came to Buffalo we would be losing in the conference finals every year.
when they first came to buffalo?? BC was a disaster, DB was a cast off, and Calgary couldn't care less about CD...people would have had a fit.

RockStar36
09-26-2008, 03:23 PM
when they first came to buffalo?? BC was a disaster, DB was a cast off, and Calgary couldn't care less about CD...people would have had a fit.

Sorry, I forgot this.

/sarcasm

Ebenezer
09-26-2008, 03:37 PM
Sorry, I forgot this.

/sarcasm
I had a feeling...:D

Philagape
09-26-2008, 03:47 PM

Which round will we lose in every year now?

Since Year 1 of the Vanek-Roy-Pominville nucleus finished out of the playoffs, it would take quite an improvement just to get to the level you just said the old nucleus was at, not to mention beyond it.

RockStar36
09-26-2008, 04:09 PM
Losing is losing. If you're not winning the championship I don't see much difference.

Ebenezer
09-26-2008, 04:12 PM
Which round will we lose in every year now?

Since Year 1 of the Vanek-Roy-Pominville nucleus finished out of the playoffs, it would take quite an improvement just to get to the level you just said the old nucleus was at, not to mention beyond it.
get over it...they were not winning anything with CD, DB and BC last year...2007 was the proof.

Philagape
09-26-2008, 04:13 PM
get over it...they were not winning anything with CD, DB and BC last year...2007 was the proof.

My post was about the future with the current nucleus.

RockStar36
09-26-2008, 04:15 PM
One year isn't sufficient enough to judge.

Ebenezer
09-26-2008, 04:51 PM
My post was about the future with the current nucleus.
I misunderstood..but given the circumstances I will give them a mulligan. I am expecting them to make the playoffs this year, though.

Philagape
09-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Losing is losing. If you're not winning the championship I don't see much difference.

There's a difference in a team's chances to win a championship. It's better to build toward one than to rely on a miracle.

Philagape
09-26-2008, 05:02 PM
One year isn't sufficient enough to judge.

And I didn't. I just pointed out how far they have to go.

Ebenezer
09-26-2008, 05:12 PM
And I didn't. I just pointed out how far they have to go.
as far as all of the other teams that did not win the championship last year.

Philagape
09-26-2008, 05:25 PM
as far as all of the other teams that did not win the championship last year.

Some have farther to go than others. The gap's not quite as big for say, Philly or Pittsburgh.

Ebenezer
09-26-2008, 05:29 PM
Some have farther to go than others. The gap's not quite as big for say, Philly or Pittsburgh.
In the day of free agency you can never say that. The bottom could very easily drop...Pittsburgh may still get worse...they suffered a net less in talent.

Philagape
09-26-2008, 05:36 PM
Yeah, I think I can say that.