X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gr8slayer
    • Feb 2005

Quick observation on Peters....

After re-watching the last two games I have come to the conclusion that his problems in pass protection have less to do with conditioning and more to do with bad technique. This is somewhat odd because his greatest strength to this point in his career has been his technique.

First off; one of the first things you are taught as an offensive lineman is the "kick step". It's nearly impossible to explain without an visuals but it's a way of creating space between you and the defender so that you can decide what he's going to do and react to it in a timely manner. The kick step should be straight back and your other leg should not leave the ground or else you are literally jumping. Jumping is the worst thing you can do because that gives the DE a split second head start on you and you can't react to it as fast. Observe Peters' left leg in this picture, he is in the process of executing the kick step, all while staying low:

The second thing you are taught is to keep your elbows tight and close to your body with your hands out and open so you can dish out the punishment with the punch straight to the chest in hopes of knocking that DE off balance. One thing that you see a lot of guys do which is horrible technique is literally jump straight back and throw their arms half way up in the air. Here's what the elbows should look like:

If both of these are done correctly you should be in a good stance with both feet firmly planted on the ground, your butt down, and knees bent. This allows you to get better leverage on the defender, something that a lot of these 6'4+ guys struggle with at times.

These are two techniques which if you master you can become what Peters was last year in pass protection. Sadly these are two techniques that have, for one reason or another, left his mind. I question just how healthy he is and if his knee has anything to do with him jumping instead of having that powerful kick step.

If all of this sounds ******ed and doesn't make sense I'll try and find some pictures to illustrate exactly what I'm talking about and hopefully it will help you to understand. This is about as elementary as it gets in describing the inner workings of good technique but it's pointless to go in too deep with it.
    Last edited by gr8slayer; 09-25-2008, 12:50 AM.
  • syracuse76
    Knowing is half the battle......
    • Aug 2008

Re: Quick observation on Peters....

naw its all good. i just want to the guy to step it up a notch. against JAX i saw it a couple times. but against the raiders he was exposed.......ALOT!!! he is not the same as last year that is for sure. but the guy is an all pro. i think this game at st louis will be a different story and he will be back in form.
    i hope
    2009 AFC East Division Champs 12-4
    POZ will lead us to the promise land
    "That which does not kill me,
    will only make me stronger"
    Nietzsche

Comment

• jamze132
      Don’t hate…
      • Jun 2003

Uh, he's out of shape. That's his problem.

Comment

• Luisito23
        Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
        • Apr 2003

Yeah, his bad play so far is definitely because he's not 100% in playing form right now...Glad he won't even have to break a sweat this week though. I expecyt (and hope) for him to be back to his old self after our bye.
        "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
        ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
        ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
        ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• casdhf
          • Jul 2002

Quicker observation: he's been getting beat like Tina Turner.
          Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
          cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
            Zero for Zero!
            • Mar 2003

Great breakdown.

I am sure it is not helping him that he missed 6 weeks of practicing these techniques and getting his timing down.
            Originally posted by mysticsoto
            Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• jamze132
              Don’t hate…
              • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              Great breakdown.

I am sure it is not helping him that he missed 6 weeks of practicing these techniques and getting his timing down.
              That and he's out of breath by the 8th play of the drive.

Comment

• The Spaz
                • Mar 2003

He better be drilling Chris Long into the ground quite often this game!!

Comment

• Pride
                  • Jul 2002

Great analysis...

I'm all for hating on Jason Peters at this point... but is it possible that bad technique is due to him being out of shape? A lot of athletes fall to bad technique when they are too tired.

Comment

• Coach Sal
                    • Aug 2006

Gr8 job, Gr8.

You broke it down well and were correct in mostly everything you wrote, as far as good pass protection technique.

The only thing I will add/counter is that it also often depends on what pass protection scheme you use. You may not take the same first step or have your arms/hands in the exact same position if your pass protection scheme changes from one play to another.

For example, a team may "slide" their protection to one side (maybe on a rollout). They may "tight protect" (every OL takes his inside gap), or they may "fan protect" (very common in the NFL now.....OL take their outside gap, and sometimes guards loop around the tackle to take the DE).

A lot of the same principles apply to all of these, but there are slight deifferences in steps and movements and arm/hand angles.
                    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
                    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage

Comment

• Coach Sal
                      • Aug 2006

I don't know if anyone else caught it, but during Dick Jauron's presser this week he was asked about Jason Peters' play.

He said Peters has been very, very good this year and even dominant at times. He acknowledged that he has been beaten a few times, but said while those plays stand out to everyone, he has otherwise been great and thinks its amazing he's been so good after coming in so late.

Just thought I'd share that, whether you agree or disagree.
                      Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
                      And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

Peters is rusty.
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• TigerJ
                          • Jul 2002

The only thing I would disagree with, gr8slayer is that I've heard one of the criticisms of Peters is that he sometimes gets lazy on technique and tries to use his freakish athleticism to get by. If that is the case, he as much as anyone needed training camp to drill the fundamental techniques, and that is he area where he will struggle to catch up.
                          I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Coach Sal
                            Gr8 job, Gr8.

You broke it down well and were correct in mostly everything you wrote, as far as good pass protection technique.

The only thing I will add/counter is that it also often depends on what pass protection scheme you use. You may not take the same first step or have your arms/hands in the exact same position if your pass protection scheme changes from one play to another.

For example, a team may "slide" their protection to one side (maybe on a rollout). They may "tight protect" (every OL takes his inside gap), or they may "fan protect" (very common in the NFL now.....OL take their outside gap, and sometimes guards loop around the tackle to take the DE).

A lot of the same principles apply to all of these, but there are slight deifferences in steps and movements and arm/hand angles.
                            Oh of course; I was actually referring more to the two sacks he gave up vs. the Raiders and the lack of technique on both. Both were straight up the field rushes and he executed the kick step on both leading me to believe that both were the same type of protection scheme. Obviously you always want to protect your inside gap but in this case he didn't even look inside so I have a feeling it was more of a 1 on 1 DE vs. OT, I'll have to check again to see who had that gap.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by TigerJ
                              The only thing I would disagree with, gr8slayer is that I've heard one of the criticisms of Peters is that he sometimes gets lazy on technique and tries to use his freakish athleticism to get by. If that is the case, he as much as anyone needed training camp to drill the fundamental techniques, and that is he area where he will struggle to catch up.
                              I don't care who you are you NEED training camp. I hated going to spring training every year while playing but I NEEDED it because it's a great refresher and you can find out what you aren't good (or have forgotten) and figure it out in a few weeks.

Comment

Working...
                              X