PDA

View Full Version : Special Teams aside.. what does Parrish bring to our Offense?

Pride
09-26-2008, 07:52 AM
I am not debating his effectiveness in the return game. So don't throw that at me.

I feel that Roscoe, on any other team in this league, would be nothing more than a 4th or 5th WR on an offense.

He has speed and quickness, neither of which we currently utilize in our offense. He is used in the slot, and a slot WR isn't supposed to be a deep threat, they are used primarily to sit down in between the defender's zone and catch passes. This includes curl routes and slants... neither of which, I feel, a small (read short) WR is productive at.

Give me Josh Reed in the slot, Evans deep, and Hardy on Fade and Slant routes.

It may not happen this week, but I feel that before long, we'll see Trent start using Hardy as his possession receiver in the 10-20 yard range.

mybills
09-26-2008, 07:56 AM
I think his agility and speed more than make up for his height. Plus, whether it's a 1st down or a touch down, he knows where the ball needs to be, and he gets it there.

Jan Reimers
09-26-2008, 07:56 AM
I tend to agree, but Roscoe did have a key touchdown reception last week. He has not genersally been a key factor in our passing game, however.

Dr. Lecter
09-26-2008, 07:57 AM
He is effective on the return game. :D

What he does bring to the offense is the ability to make an occassional big play. Look at least week, as he made two plays (a first down and the TD) that were easier for a small, quick guy than a Hardy type. He makes teams be aware of where he is and watch him once he gets the ball.

Hardy is quite possibly not ready for a big role. Let him develop and learn.

Splitting him out is problematic as well, as most CBs will jam him at the line.

I like Hardy, but he, Jenkins and Johnson are still young and learning (And Jenkins is not as talented).

Parrish is the Bills offensive big play threat and without him, only Evans remains. He will be missed, although it might not be a critical loss it won't help.

Captain gameboy
09-26-2008, 08:02 AM
As an indirect answer, I have thought since the end of last season that until someone of significant stature replaces him in three wide sets, this offense doesn't look really threatening.

The theory of a Hardy "type," seemed like the solution for me, but from what I've heard, he isn't exactly on even a rookie learning curve yet.
I'm not talking about drops either.
I'm talking about subtle comments from Turk, to the effect that he has to know what he's doing out there.

He needs to get good quick.

I like Roscoe.
I'd just be a lot happier with a legit #2 and Reed in the slot.

SABURZFAN
09-26-2008, 08:06 AM
his speed can stretch a defense enough to get somebody else open.

Bufftp
09-26-2008, 08:08 AM
What does he bring the Offense? Field postion! :D

Mitchy moo
09-26-2008, 08:18 AM
What does he bring the Offense? Field postion! :Dgreat starting FP.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-26-2008, 08:18 AM
If you watch the game, you'll see Roscoe opens a lot the past 3 games. Trent just missed him a few times.

I think it is mistake to use him on the outside. He has speed but not enough speed like Evans where nobody will catch him, and he does not have the size to shield the ball outside away from defenders. But when he runs through the middle with space on both sides, he's impoosible to cover with probably the quickest cuts in NFL in different directions. The trouble is those cuts are so quick that the QB has trouble anticipating as well.

I feel Trent and Roscoe are getting better at hooking up as the season went on. Unfortunately he's hurt now and they have to start all over again when he returns.

Pinkerton Security
09-26-2008, 08:23 AM
Roscoe is a guy that can use his quickness to get open underneath, and he has the ability to break a short throw into a long gainer because of his ridiculous agility and quickness. He's great on screens and great run after the catch, obviously.

That being said, you're exactly right, he is no more than a 3rd or 4th receiver. However, that doesnt mean he isnt valuable on offense. Not many guys have the big-play ability that he does. I am sad to see him miss some games because he keeps the defense honest a lot of times, but I am also glad to see Hardy get more targets.

jdbillsfan
09-26-2008, 09:03 AM
See Wes Welker

zone
09-26-2008, 09:18 AM
2 big catches in last weeks game that resulted in a win.

justasportsfan
09-26-2008, 09:47 AM
I feel that Roscoe, on any other team in this league, would be nothing more than a 4th or 5th WR on an offense.

I Don't think so.

Ed
09-26-2008, 10:16 AM
Another thing Roscoe brings the the offense, which we haven't used this year is the reverse. We don't seem to let him run it much, but when he has, we always seem to have success. I know he even scored on a reverse play last year.

Roscoe can score from anywhere on the field. We just need to get the ball in his hands more.

dannyek71
09-26-2008, 10:24 AM
ummm a couple clutch catches in the 4th qtr, a key touchdown. That's all........

He may not be the greatest WR of all time, but he is our 2nd or 3rd best receiver on the team like it or not. If he wasn't, he wouldn't be getting all of the PT that he does.

Ebenezer
09-26-2008, 10:30 AM
take the injury as a postive...get Hardy and Johnson in there and let's see what they can do...the schedule isn't so bad in there and it will get them experience...the Bills may find something that benefits more later in the season.

gr8slayer
09-26-2008, 10:40 AM
He's nothing more than a role player on offense, but he's a great mismatch if you can get him matched up on a LB.

Pride
09-26-2008, 10:53 AM
Those of you who only commented on Special Teams (ie. field position) I am not responding to as this was out of the realm of this topic.

To those of you who say "He made a couple of big catches for us last week", you assume that Hardy couldn't have made those same catches? Were they catches that any other WR could not have made?

I am asking this, what does Roscoe bring this offense that another average WR (see Josh Reed) cannot? A catch or two in a game is not a good enough reason, because it is expected that another WR could make those catches as well.

Those of you who mentioned his speed and quickness... I fully agree! However, his run after the catch is only valuable if the ball is thrown his way. Someone said that they saw him open a lot, but Trent never threw to him. That is exactly why I bring this up. Trent, himself, said that it was difficult to find him on the field when Trent is behind all of those 6 foot 6 linemen. So what good is a short, quick WR if the QB can't see him to throw him the ball?

I will grant that Roscoe is a WR, and as such, is expected to make a catch here and there. I have yet to see any big play ability from him. Even last weeks TD wasn't anything special. It was a catch in the open and run into the corner of the Endzone.

Now with a tall WR in Hardy... I see mismatches against short, #2 DBs. I see a guy that Trent can see on every pass play, whether he is open or not. I see a guy who can go up over top of a safety and make a catch.

All of this said... had we utilized Roscoe's strengths (Reverses, Run after catch, and downfield speed) then I would be all for him playing... but in the current offense where 10-15 yard throws are the norm, there isn't much YAC due to curls and hooks... I would rather see a large target on the field instead of Parrish.

Good spirited conversation thus far!

justasportsfan
09-26-2008, 10:56 AM
Pride. Parrish has been clutch whether it's was JP or Trent. Thats what he brings to this team offesnively.

Pride
09-26-2008, 11:05 AM
Really? Minus Special Teams... I've never thought of Parrish being a clutch WR. If anything Reed has been our clutch WR thus far this season.

justasportsfan
09-26-2008, 11:08 AM
Really? Minus Special Teams... I've never thought of Parrish being a clutch WR. If anything Reed has been our clutch WR thus far this season.
Off the top of my head.

comeback vs. Houston.

Last Sunday.

NoVabillsfan89
09-26-2008, 11:08 AM
I think that while he is exciting, talented and can break a big play at any time, sometimes it seems like in order to get him involved, they run special plays intended to get him the ball in space - WR screens, reverses, etc. - that are risky if the defense sees it coming.

You can't just have him run crossing patterns out of the slot - he'll get killed.

And while those plays work some of the time - they also always have the potential for big losses.

So with him out the next 4-6 weeks, the Offense doesn't have to run the "Roscoe plays" and hopefully develop more confidence and continuity. Those plays stay in Turk's back pocket until he comes back and hopefully, the offense will be even better off.

Oaf
09-26-2008, 11:14 AM
He shouldn't be anything less than Jackson or Royal. Unfortunately, we don't use him as such.

DraftBoy
09-26-2008, 11:19 AM
Parrish brings miss matches to our offense, which is something Reed can't do. Reed is a better blocker and Hardy simply isn't ready nor would I want him playing out of the slot.

Hardy was a project when picked which is why people were penciling him from Day 1 I said to hold off on that and let the kid develop. He dominated at Indiana and in the Big 10 due to superior athleticism, that quickly levels out in the NFL.

Parrish's injury does hurt our offense in a number of ways but one of the biggest ones is that he must always be accounted for. Teams rarely dare to put a LB on just Parrish which means they either have to go Nickle or moved a S up which opens up the field for Edwards.

gr8slayer
09-26-2008, 04:47 PM
Parrish might be good for mismatches but so is Hardy, assuming he can get it going. I have a feeling he's having trouble picking up the play-calling.

When I look at Parrish I think Hester with less return ability. Both are half decent when it comes to the passing game but both are amongst the best return men in the game.

PECKERWOOD
09-26-2008, 05:04 PM
I am not debating his effectiveness in the return game. So don't throw that at me.

He has speed and quickness, neither of which we currently utilize in our offense. He is used in the slot, and a slot WR isn't supposed to be a deep threat, they are used primarily to sit down in between the defender's zone and catch passes. This includes curl routes and slants... neither of which, I feel, a small (read short) WR is productive at.

Give me Josh Reed in the slot, Evans deep, and Hardy on Fade and Slant routes.

It may not happen this week, but I feel that before long, we'll see Trent start using Hardy as his possession receiver in the 10-20 yard range.

Maybe Parrish brings an ocassional situational WR who can bring big plays to the table? i.e. 4th quarter TD catch against Oakland with a torn liagament in his thumb to help us win the game. I don't know? Maybe I'm not seeing something you are.