Special Teams aside.. what does Parrish bring to our Offense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pride
    • Jul 2002

Special Teams aside.. what does Parrish bring to our Offense?

I am not debating his effectiveness in the return game. So don't throw that at me.

I feel that Roscoe, on any other team in this league, would be nothing more than a 4th or 5th WR on an offense.

He has speed and quickness, neither of which we currently utilize in our offense. He is used in the slot, and a slot WR isn't supposed to be a deep threat, they are used primarily to sit down in between the defender's zone and catch passes. This includes curl routes and slants... neither of which, I feel, a small (read short) WR is productive at.

Give me Josh Reed in the slot, Evans deep, and Hardy on Fade and Slant routes.

It may not happen this week, but I feel that before long, we'll see Trent start using Hardy as his possession receiver in the 10-20 yard range.
  • mybills
    81 st zoner
    • Jul 2002

Re: Special Teams aside.. what does Parrish bring to our Offense?

I think his agility and speed more than make up for his height. Plus, whether it's a 1st down or a touch down, he knows where the ball needs to be, and he gets it there.
    I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
      • May 2003

I tend to agree, but Roscoe did have a key touchdown reception last week. He has not genersally been a key factor in our passing game, however.
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
        Zero for Zero!
        • Mar 2003

He is effective on the return game.

What he does bring to the offense is the ability to make an occassional big play. Look at least week, as he made two plays (a first down and the TD) that were easier for a small, quick guy than a Hardy type. He makes teams be aware of where he is and watch him once he gets the ball.

Hardy is quite possibly not ready for a big role. Let him develop and learn.

Splitting him out is problematic as well, as most CBs will jam him at the line.

I like Hardy, but he, Jenkins and Johnson are still young and learning (And Jenkins is not as talented).

Parrish is the Bills offensive big play threat and without him, only Evans remains. He will be missed, although it might not be a critical loss it won't help.
        Originally posted by mysticsoto
        Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Captain gameboy
          • Jul 2002

As an indirect answer, I have thought since the end of last season that until someone of significant stature replaces him in three wide sets, this offense doesn't look really threatening.

The theory of a Hardy "type," seemed like the solution for me, but from what I've heard, he isn't exactly on even a rookie learning curve yet.
          I'm not talking about drops either.
          I'm talking about subtle comments from Turk, to the effect that he has to know what he's doing out there.

He needs to get good quick.

I like Roscoe.
          I'd just be a lot happier with a legit #2 and Reed in the slot.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
            short bus extraordinaire
            • Jul 2002

his speed can stretch a defense enough to get somebody else open.
            Originally posted by yordad
            Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Bufftp
              Hi Dave!

Administrator Emeritus
              • Jul 2002

What does he bring the Offense? Field postion!
              Photobucket

In the end, there are only three liberal archetypes: The fools, the beneficiaries and the crooks.
              "If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day, but if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life"
              Optyimus Ignorus Realityious!

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
              - John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

To live in the presence of great truths and eternal laws,
              to be led by permanent ideals -
              that is what keeps a man patient
              when the world ignores him,
              and calm and unspoiled when the world praises him. -- Honore De Balzac

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                Roways rooking ahread!
                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Bufftp
                What does he bring the Offense? Field postion!
                great starting FP.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                  • Aug 2004

If you watch the game, you'll see Roscoe opens a lot the past 3 games. Trent just missed him a few times.

I think it is mistake to use him on the outside. He has speed but not enough speed like Evans where nobody will catch him, and he does not have the size to shield the ball outside away from defenders. But when he runs through the middle with space on both sides, he's impoosible to cover with probably the quickest cuts in NFL in different directions. The trouble is those cuts are so quick that the QB has trouble anticipating as well.

I feel Trent and Roscoe are getting better at hooking up as the season went on. Unfortunately he's hurt now and they have to start all over again when he returns.
                  Last edited by ghz in pittsburgh; 09-26-2008, 08:42 AM.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                    Pinkerton's son
                    • Feb 2006

Roscoe is a guy that can use his quickness to get open underneath, and he has the ability to break a short throw into a long gainer because of his ridiculous agility and quickness. He's great on screens and great run after the catch, obviously.

That being said, you're exactly right, he is no more than a 3rd or 4th receiver. However, that doesnt mean he isnt valuable on offense. Not many guys have the big-play ability that he does. I am sad to see him miss some games because he keeps the defense honest a lot of times, but I am also glad to see Hardy get more targets.

Comment

• jdbillsfan
                      • Oct 2002

See Wes Welker

Comment

• zone
                        No, look. I do mind. The Dude minds.
                        • Oct 2003

2 big catches in last weeks game that resulted in a win.
                        www.blzbus.com

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Pride

I feel that Roscoe, on any other team in this league, would be nothing more than a 4th or 5th WR on an offense.
                          I Don't think so.
                          sacrifice1
                          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Ed
                            • Sep 2002

Another thing Roscoe brings the the offense, which we haven't used this year is the reverse. We don't seem to let him run it much, but when he has, we always seem to have success. I know he even scored on a reverse play last year.

Roscoe can score from anywhere on the field. We just need to get the ball in his hands more.

Comment

• dannyek71
                              Drink Responsibly
                              • Dec 2004

ummm a couple clutch catches in the 4th qtr, a key touchdown. That's all........

He may not be the greatest WR of all time, but he is our 2nd or 3rd best receiver on the team like it or not. If he wasn't, he wouldn't be getting all of the PT that he does.
                              [

Comment

Working...
                              X