PDA

View Full Version : More hate for Bill Simmons

Pinkerton Security
09-26-2008, 10:04 AM
THE FEEL-GOOD SLEEPER
7. Buffalo Bills
On a truly enjoyable episode of "Inside the NFL" this week, Bill Cowher, Phil Simms and Cris Collinsworth -- three guys I respect -- all listed the Bills in their top fives and James Brown didn't even do his trademark "Ack ... ack ... ack ... ack" laugh afterward. Really? Top five? That seems high after Roscoe Parrish went out with a finger, which undeniably affects one of Buffalo's biggest strengths (special teams) for the next four to six weeks. Just look at what happened with Tampa-Chicago last week: a healthy Devin Hester springs one big return and swings that game, right? On the other hand, Buffalo's schedule remains easier than Kirsten Dunst. We'll stick them here to be safe.
Meanwhile, Becky from Boston writes, "Just curious -- when the SuperSonics were being ripped from Seattle, you dedicated several columns to the topic. Now that the same thing is happening to the Bills, your reaction is the complete opposite. Not only are you NOT outraged, you seem to derive pleasure from rubbing salt in my wounds. You don't mention the Bills without mentioning the possible move to Toronto and are tainting an otherwise exciting season for lifelong Bills fans like myself who have been waiting for the glory years of the early '90s to return. What do you have against the good people of Buffalo? Haven't we suffered enough?"
All good points. My initial response is that when Vincent Gallo is your city's signature celebrity, maybe you shouldn't have an NFL team. But I'm willing to be talked into it. From everything I've read, the Bills are struggling to survive financially and lack the funds to build a better stadium, only they don't have the balls to leave Buffalo, only they don't want another NFL team to move to Toronto -- the best territory that isn't an NFL city yet -- so they're basically "marking" that Toronto territory like a dog by playing eight games there over the next three years. Either it was a shrewd business move (they made $78 million, more than their 2006 and 2007 operating income combined), a passive-aggressive play that deserves to be mocked, or both. But it's nothing like the 1979 NBA champs getting hijacked from Seattle for no good reason. Seattle could support an NBA team; it's unclear if Buffalo can support the Bills.
(Note: If I'm wrong, then tell me why. And try to do it without using swear words or comparing me to various orafices. Thank you.)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/080926

I am not all about wanting every single person in the world to love the Bills, but I HATE THIS GUY. God, if I ever see him i think I will punch him in the face.

This is after he made this snide little comment earlier in the article:
"Don't rule out any 2008 scenario over these next 14 weeks, whether it's three NFC East teams winning 12-plus games ... the Bills finishing 13-3 and having the mayors of Buffalo and Toronto flip a coin to host their second-round playoff game ..."

Jan Reimers
09-26-2008, 10:09 AM
Apparently, Simmons thinks he is funny. But he's actually a misinformed, nonhumorous troll.

Pinkerton Security
09-26-2008, 10:11 AM
Apparently, Simmons thinks he is funny. But he's actually a misinformed, nonhumorous troll.

I cant f***ing stand him!!! He thinks he knows whats going on but has no idea.

cocamide
09-26-2008, 10:12 AM
What a *****? Who the hell is Bill Simmons anyways? Does his opinion matter?

cocamide
09-26-2008, 10:13 AM
Oh, and he must know as much about football as he does about female genitalia. When Hester went down, he didn't have one of the best return men in college football history backing him up.

Pinkerton Security
09-26-2008, 10:17 AM
What a *****? Who the hell is Bill Simmons anyways? Does his opinion matter?

hes a smug ESPN reporter and unabashed Pats fan who deems himself better than anyone. He's one of their big tickets, at least on Podcast and ESPN.com

More proof that ESPN is garbage and caters to the casual sports fans just looking for amusement.

parrishlynchevans
09-26-2008, 10:22 AM
What do celebrities have to do with whether or not a city can host an NFL franchise?

THATHURMANATOR
09-26-2008, 10:31 AM
Simmons is a fraud. He touts himself as the everyday sports guy but his rambling above speaks to supporting the corporate america bastardization of sports.

ServoBillieves
09-26-2008, 10:39 AM
In his top part rant, he says the Bills could go 13-3 and have the mayors of Toronto and Buffalo flip a coin over who has the playoff game.

Dude needs to lay of, he knows he's getting under people's skins, people just need to stop sending him emails and let him get knocked off his high horse whenever the Bills shut him up with their play.

Mitchy moo
09-26-2008, 10:47 AM
The more attention we give him the worse things he'll write about Buffalo. I see nothing here but a guy trying to inflame Bills fans & get a rise out of all of us. He'll learn that people like him that write for spite end up getting the wrong end of the pen.

I hope he burns up soon, violently.

Mr. Miyagi
09-26-2008, 10:55 AM
Bill Simmons is a life long Pats fan, always writes about Boston related teams.

He also went to Choate Rosemary Hall, a private prep school in Conneticut. I know that school. They're a bunch of cocky *******s.

http://www.armchairgm.com/Bill_Simmons

It figures.

trapezeus
09-26-2008, 11:03 AM
should we respond to him with the fact that most bills fans don't mind going to the ralph, the team carries the lowest debt of any of the teams and also has seems to generate some of the highest ticket sales.

Furthermore, when the team isn't good the region still supports the team. even if games aren't sold out after the blackout, it's a matter of 2-5 seats empty. look at the rams and jacksonville.

Furthermore, just because stadium building is in vogue, it is not entirely necessary. These luxury box fans are the ones who are killing the pro sports everyman market.

Simmons just writes a fan's view article that happens to get a lot of coverage because he's funny and everyone is on the boston bandwagon. it was funnier when the team sucked and he hated everything about being a football fan.

Also this is a guy who hates hockey but loves basketball. you can't trust those guys.

AG75
09-26-2008, 11:11 AM
I had no idea the SuperSonics are now the Oklahoma City Thunder. Yikes! Anyway, his comment about Buffalo not being able to support the Bills is absurd. Beyond absurd. This small market city manages to sell out most games during the most dismal of dismal seasons.

Plus, he's a Patriots homer. Nuff said.

Meathead
09-26-2008, 11:13 AM
i think hes richard's even more gay brother

http://www.artybees.co.nz/bizarre-book-images/idle-idolatry/richard-simmons.jpg

DraftBoy
09-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Simmons is one of the most popular writers for ESPN, he is paid to be bias and spout his opinion not be objective. Granted if he says something good about the Bills tomorrow, he'll be hailed as a great writer!

Pinkerton Security
09-26-2008, 11:16 AM
Simmons is one of the most popular writers for ESPN, he is paid to be bias and spout his opinion not be objective. Granted if he says something good about the Bills tomorrow, he'll be hailed as a great writer!

not by me. I generally only read his garbage if I am bored at work. I've disliked him for a while now.

And being one of the most popular writers for ESPN means about as much as being the best offensive linemen on the Steelers...

poor big ben

THATHURMANATOR
09-26-2008, 11:18 AM
He is a Fraud and I have thought that for years. All he does is ramble about Boston as if it was the center of the universe.

DraftBoy
09-26-2008, 11:20 AM
Yea, blah blah blah...same was said about guys like Clayton, Mortensen, King, etc until they write positive stuff about the Bills then the tune changes from dislike to praising.

Granted you'll probably never seen Simmons write anything positive about the Bills, nor should he really. Its not what he gets paid to do.

RockStar36
09-26-2008, 11:25 AM
Simmons is the best writer on ESPN. His podcasts and articles are hilarious.

Philagape
09-26-2008, 11:30 AM
We hate him!!! How do we know we hate him?? Because we keep reading his stuff!!! :insane:

THATHURMANATOR
09-26-2008, 11:36 AM
Yea, blah blah blah...same was said about guys like Clayton, Mortensen, King, etc until they write positive stuff about the Bills then the tune changes from dislike to praising.

Granted you'll probably never seen Simmons write anything positive about the Bills, nor should he really. Its not what he gets paid to do.
Don't blah blah me.

I am not someone who changes his opinion emotionally like most on this board. I never have like Simmons. Clayton I have no problem with nor Mortenson or King really. If he gets paid to write uninteresting nonsense centered soley on Boston then he is doing his then.

DraftBoy
09-26-2008, 11:37 AM
Don't blah blah me.

I am not someone who changes his opinion emotionally like most on this board. I never have like Simmons. Clayton I have no problem with nor Mortenson or King really. If he gets paid to write uninteresting nonsense centered soley on Boston then he is doing his then.

:rolleyes:

RockStar36
09-26-2008, 11:38 AM
Don't blah blah me.

You do realize his original nickname was the "Boston Sports Guy" right? Yes he is paid to write about things dealing with Boston. But he writes about other things too.

THATHURMANATOR
09-26-2008, 11:41 AM
You do realize his original nickname was the "Boston Sports Guy" right? Yes he is paid to write about things dealing with Boston. But he writes about other things too.
Yes I know this. He sucks. OR go ahead and stick to being Boston sports guy.

THATHURMANATOR
09-26-2008, 11:41 AM
:rolleyes:
Is this what you do when you are wrong? Passive aggressively roll your eyes....

RockStar36
09-26-2008, 11:43 AM
Yes I know this. He sucks. OR go ahead and stick to being Boston sports guy.

I read what I like. I really like his style and his articles/podcasts make me laugh. He's good enough IMO that I can read articles of his that are about things I can't stand. For instance, I read all his NBA articles and even went back to read his NBA running draft diaries and I am not a huge NBA guy. I just like the style.

Mr. Miyagi
09-26-2008, 11:45 AM
Is this what you do when you are wrong? Passive aggressively roll your eyes....
:rofl: Thurm you are the man!

SABuffalo786
09-26-2008, 11:49 AM
**** him and the entire city of Boston.

RockStar36
09-26-2008, 11:50 AM
You guys need to loosen up and relax.

If there was a Buffalo Sports Guy writing for ESPN you'd all be lining up on your knees to say how good he is.

Mudflap1
09-26-2008, 11:53 AM
The guy is kind of entertaining with his articles. However, as far as his analysis goes... the guy prides himself on being a sports handicapper but his WIFE has SMOKED him the last two years with picking games (and she just picks randomly with no rhyme or reason). So I wouldn't put too much stock into who he thinks is going to be good or not.

Jon

Mr. Miyagi
09-26-2008, 11:54 AM

If there was a Buffalo Sports Guy writing for ESPN you'd all be lining up on your knees to say how good he is.
That's correct.

We all love that CBS article about how Pats fans are spoiled brats, don't we?

But we're Buffalo fans, not media writers. We're supposed to be biased.

Patrick76777
09-26-2008, 12:06 PM
The guy is kind of entertaing with his articles. However, as far as his analysis goes... the guy prides himself on being a sports handicapper but his WIFE has SMOKED him the last two years with picking games (and she just picks randomly with no rhyme or reason). So I wouldn't put too much stock into who he thinks is going to be good or not.

Jon

There is. Tim Graham.

Mudflap1
09-26-2008, 12:09 PM
I just sent this message to Simmons:

"Bill,

I'm going to leave this short and sweet: LEAVE THE BUFFALO BILLS ALONE! WE AS BILLS FANS HAVE SUFFERED ENOUGH! The fact that the Bills have won a few games and look frisky for the first time since the Clinton Administration is reason for us to be excited for the first time in a long time about our football team. You've had your glory many times over this decade. LET US ENJOY THIS!

Warm Regards,

Jon"

BlackMetalNinja
09-26-2008, 12:14 PM
Simmons is one of the most popular writers for ESPN, he is paid to be bias and spout his opinion not be objective. Granted if he says something good about the Bills tomorrow, he'll be hailed as a great writer!You know what strikes me as funny? You hail Simmons for writing biased opinions and then simultaneously act like everybody writing biased opinions as it relates to him bashing Buffalo is wrong somehow. What sense does that make?

I used to read Simmons' articles avidly about 5 years ago and found him rather humorous even though he had an obviously slanted view. The way he tied sports into pop culture (movies and tv particularly) was always well done. After a year or two of the same old thing though it got kind of old and I really haven't read him much at all in the past few years.

Bulldog
09-26-2008, 12:18 PM

Do you intentionally come on here and disagree with everything anyone says to be difficult? I'm not saying you have to be a blind homer, but your act is really starting to get old.

Mr. Miyagi
09-26-2008, 12:20 PM
I just sent this message to Simmons:

"Bill,

I'm going to leave this short and sweet: LEAVE THE BUFFALO BILLS ALONE! WE AS BILLS FANS HAVE SUFFERED ENOUGH! The fact that the Bills have won a few games and look frisky for the first time since the Clinton Administration is reason for us to be excited for the first time in a long time about our football team. You've had your glory many times over this decade. LET US ENJOY THIS!

Warm Regards,

Jon"
I would've said:

"If you're the Boston Sports Guy then call yourself the Boston Sports Guy, instead of passing yourself off as the Regular Sports Guy. Does ESPN know how biased you are? Does ESPN really want to be known as just a bunch of Patriot lickers? Oh wait, they already are. Never mind. Wasn't the booing at Gilette last week sponsored by ESPN?"

RockStar36
09-26-2008, 12:23 PM
You know what strikes me as funny? You hail Simmons for writing biased opinions and then simultaneously act like everybody writing biased opinions as it relates to him bashing Buffalo is wrong somehow. What sense does that make?

I used to read Simmons' articles avidly about 5 years ago and found him rather humorous even though he had an obviously slanted view. The way he tied sports into pop culture (movies and tv particularly) was always well done. After a year or two of the same old thing though it got kind of old and I really haven't read him much at all in the past few years.

I agree with everything except the fact that it got old. I still read everything he does all the time. I check his page almost daily for new articles and podcasts and listen/read them all.

RockStar36
09-26-2008, 12:23 PM
I would've said:

"If you're the Boston Sports Guy then call yourself the Boston Sports Guy, instead of passing yourself off as the Regular Sports Guy. Does ESPN know how biased you are? Does ESPN really want to be known as just a bunch of Patriot lickers? Oh wait, they already are. Never mind. Wasn't the booing at Gilette last week sponsored by ESPN?"

If you actually read his articles you would know that not everything has a Boston bias. But...that would require actually reading them instead of just flapping at the gums about them.

yordad
09-26-2008, 12:24 PM
Your the f'in journalist, your supposed to back your comments up with facts, not the other way around. Douche.

SABuffalo786
09-26-2008, 12:28 PM

Yeah, exactly.

So **** him and Boston.

yordad
09-26-2008, 12:31 PM
Seriously, I have an idea. I am going to write an article proclaiming all kinds of things I know nothing about, and ask my readers to give me fact proving I'm wrong? How is that journalism? Isn't it the reporters job to report the friggin facts? Not completely speculate what they are, then try and present them as facts while asking for them? Douche!

How does this crap get printed?

RockStar36
09-26-2008, 12:35 PM
Take into account that his articles are on Page 2. That speaks a lot for the body of work.

Mad Bomber
09-26-2008, 12:44 PM
(Note: If I'm wrong, then tell me why. And try to do it without using swear words or comparing me to various orafices. Thank you.)

That's "orifices", you a**hole.

Bill Brasky
09-26-2008, 12:52 PM
writing worthless emails and *****ing about buffalo's greatness surely will sway his POV.

if you don't like it - don't read it. they're words, arranged on paper. he might have a differing opinion. if you don't like it, **** it and move on. who cares!?

SABuffalo786
09-26-2008, 01:08 PM
writing worthless emails and *****ing about buffalo's greatness surely will sway his POV.

if you don't like it - don't read it. they're words, arranged on paper. he might have a differing opinion. if you don't like it, **** it and move on. who cares!?

Agreed, but I wrote just to tell him to **** himself. :D

yordad
09-26-2008, 01:12 PM

if you don't like it - don't read it. they're words, arranged on paper. he might have a differing opinion. if you don't like it, **** it and move on. who cares!?It perpetuates the myth the city of Buffalo is dieing and worthless. It isn't really even a football issue.

Ingtar33
09-26-2008, 01:28 PM
i read his stuff for his wife's "sports gal" rants.

she usually takes Bill apart in them, and amusingly has out picked nfl games every year they've gone head to head... and she claims to not know a darned thing about the nfl.

(she also almost always goes with the bills in her NFL picks)

sometime, find one of her rants about Bill's Fantasy football teams (she calls it the league of dorks).. those are priceless.

RockStar36
09-26-2008, 01:31 PM
i read his stuff for his wife's "sports gal" rants.

she usually takes Bill apart in them, and amusingly has out picked nfl games every year they've gone head to head... and she claims to not know a darned thing about the nfl.

(she also almost always goes with the bills in her NFL picks)

sometime, find one of her rants about Bill's Fantasy football teams (she calls it the league of dorks).. those are priceless.

While I agree that she is funny, if it wasn't for her husbands "League of Dorks" she would probably have to get up and go get a real job.

dannyek71
09-26-2008, 01:47 PM
Im sorry, but anyone who thinks the Bills are going to move to Toronto obviously didn't go to the preseason game up there. Not even people in Toronto are really for it.

TrEd FTW
09-26-2008, 01:56 PM
How is that journalism??
Diane Sawyer's a journalist. Bill Simmons is an opinionated, oft-clueless Mass-hole with a keyboard and an expertise in "Karate Kid," MTV and the NBA and little knowledge elsewhere; he's frankly not even worth paying attention to. I look forward to him completely ignoring the NFL playoffs, which is the likely scenario, when the seven- or eight-win Patriots are sitting on their couches after not qualifying. He's a bandwagoning POS, just like the entire Boston sports fan base.

Jan Reimers
09-26-2008, 02:39 PM

Unless he's quoted on this board, I never read him. Then I feel dirty when I do.

Bill Brasky
09-26-2008, 04:45 PM
It perpetuates the myth the city of Buffalo is dieing and worthless. It isn't really even a football issue.

well maybe if people from buffalo would talk positively about their city outsiders wouldn't make assumptions.

yordad
09-26-2008, 09:19 PM
well maybe if people from buffalo would talk positively about their city outsiders wouldn't make assumptions.Touché. I hear what you are saying. But, couldn't the same thing be said for 42 out of the top 50 cities in the US. Why do people not make assumptions about them all?

I can't even think of a dozen cites I have heard insiders give rave reviews about. Seems the grass is always greener on the other side. Because I haven't ever talked to anyone from Cincinnati before, am I to assume their economy sucks? How about Kansas City? Tennessee? Oklahoma City?

I guess our whole Country, not counting Las Vegas, Dallas, Boston and sometimes LA or NY, must suck.

Reports about how good a city is doing get no play. It has to be risky or touch a nerve before it gets attention, or even gets printed.

Buffalo has gained a rep. It didn't help the Ralph, who lives in a different city, decided he should help perpetuate it. Now everyone with a pen wants to kick a perfectly healthy dog when all he wants to do play catch.

Example: I swear, if you make a funny joke the first day of school, people start to laugh at everything you say. But, if your first joke is dumb, you could be Robin Williams, but your only getting rolled eyes from there on out. It just isn't cool to laugh with you at that point, and it gets more and more cool to laugh at you.

It is all about the buzz. Build it, and they will come. This douche is just trying to be cool, and say something risqué at the expense of a fine city.

And, for the record, I ain't from Buffalo. But I think it is a fairly nice city. And, it has a lot going for it. No where near the smelly, declining, ragged, ghetto, people make it sound like it is.

Banks2Pierce
09-27-2008, 10:00 AM
I'm kind of in an awkward spot here. I'm from Boston and like the Sox and Celtics.

I like Simmons, but for the entertainment value and for the passion he has for sports. He really does love sports and you can tell from reading him.

You just need to take him for what he is. A blogger. He was very wrong about his own teams (most anti-Doc Rivers guy of all time and still didn't swallow his words when the Celts won it).

You have to be honest that it is kind of weird to have home games held across the border of Canada. Wouldn't you be curious about that situation if you were a fan of a random team? He is paid to write about that stuff, but it's getting old now to pile it on the city of Buffalo.

casdhf
09-27-2008, 10:06 AM
Anyone have his home address?

THATHURMANATOR
09-27-2008, 10:37 AM
Anyone have his home address?
:bf1: Now you're talking!!!!

SABuffalo786
09-27-2008, 10:40 AM
You have to be honest that it is kind of weird to have home games held across the border of Canada. Wouldn't you be curious about that situation if you were a fan of a random team?

Nah, **** Boston.

Bill Brasky
09-28-2008, 09:11 AM
Touché. I hear what you are saying. But, couldn't the same thing be said for 42 out of the top 50 cities in the US. Why do people not make assumptions about them all?

I can't even think of a dozen cites I have heard insiders give rave reviews about. Seems the grass is always greener on the other side. Because I haven't ever talked to anyone from Cincinnati before, am I to assume their economy sucks? How about Kansas City? Tennessee? Oklahoma City?

I guess our whole Country, not counting Las Vegas, Dallas, Boston and sometimes LA or NY, must suck.

Reports about how good a city is doing get no play. It has to be risky or touch a nerve before it gets attention, or even gets printed.

Buffalo has gained a rep. It didn't help the Ralph, who lives in a different city, decided he should help perpetuate it. Now everyone with a pen wants to kick a perfectly healthy dog when all he wants to do play catch.

Example: I swear, if you make a funny joke the first day of school, people start to laugh at everything you say. But, if your first joke is dumb, you could be Robin Williams, but your only getting rolled eyes from there on out. It just isn't cool to laugh with you at that point, and it gets more and more cool to laugh at you.

It is all about the buzz. Build it, and they will come. This douche is just trying to be cool, and say something risqué at the expense of a fine city.

And, for the record, I ain't from Buffalo. But I think it is a fairly nice city. And, it has a lot going for it. No where near the smelly, declining, ragged, ghetto, people make it sound like it is.
Traveling the last 2 years I noticed that, in general, most people will talk positively about the city they live in. Buffalonians have a tendency to point out the negative aspects and ***** about stuff well out of their control (ie: the weather) while rarely highlighting anything positive about the area.

If I was talking to a person from Denver, and all they did was complain about it, I would 1) never want to visit and 2) have a preconceived notion that it blows.

The simple fact that Buffalo and WNY have a natural wonder sitting right in their back yard (Niagara Falls) and still can't market itself as a tourist destination speaks volumes.