PDA

View Full Version : Bills building success around the class of 2006

shelby
09-28-2008, 07:51 AM
Perhaps Marv knew what he was doing after all!

The experts had fun with them at the time. People laughed at the Buffalo Bills for the 2006 draft. They said Marv Levy was in over his head as a general manager. They said the Bills reached and missed the obvious. They called it the worst draft in the league, a big fat “D” on the report card. I wonder how those draft gurus would grade that ’06 draft today? In retrospect, the Bills pretty much nailed it. I showed the list to a couple of seasoned Bills watchers the other day and even they were amazed.
The first seven players taken in that draft are all starters or major contributors on a rising Bills team that is looking to go to 4-0 today against the Rams. The Bills are the talk of the country, a sudden playoff contender. The ’06 draft laid the foundation and helped shape the team’s competitive personality.
Donte Whitner: eighth pick overall, defensive captain, strong safety and team leader. John McCargo: 26th overall, backing up at defensive tackle because the Bills found a jewel later in the draft. Ashton Youboty: third round, nickel back, a revelation this year, maybe the most improved guy on the team.
Ko Simpson: fourth round, starting free safety. Kyle Williams: fifth round, a steal, starting defensive tackle coming into his own, had the game of his career last week. Brad Butler: fifth round, starting right guard. Keith Ellison: sixth round, starting outside linebacker.
They also picked up Fred Jackson, an emerging backup running back, and John DiGiorgio, a solid reserve linebacker, as undrafted free agents that year.
Not a bad haul, I must say. There aren’t any superstars, just a collection of smart, solid football players who are growing up fast. That was the year Levy talked about character and intelligence. Skeptics snickered, but it has been validated.

more... (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/450110.html)

Saratoga Slim
09-28-2008, 08:32 AM
Say what you will about McCargo or other individual players on that list, that's nonetheless very impressive.

mybills
09-28-2008, 08:37 AM
:hail: Marv

Jan Reimers
09-28-2008, 08:41 AM
I hope this article, and the one on Reed, will at least lessen some of the carping about our drafts, and how we never pick the right players, and how Josh Reed stinks and should have been cut, etc., etc.

I love how our team plays together and plays smart, rather than being a bunch of prima donnas. We don't have superstars, which some people here really seem to want, but I think we're doing just fine with solid, intelligent guys who play hard and work together.

mybills
09-28-2008, 08:44 AM
Amen, Jan. But I think they're all superstars. :D

njsue
09-28-2008, 08:52 AM
:bow: Marv Levy

njsue
09-28-2008, 08:56 AM
Marv Levy picked out players with great character. Great team character leads to total team Identity.

This picture say's it all.

http://media.buffalonews.com/static/images/sports/nflmondaybackw3.pdf

BADTHINGSMAN
09-28-2008, 09:15 AM
Nice work Marv.

parrishlynchevans
09-28-2008, 10:21 AM
How about that 2007 draft with Lynch and the next Tom Brady, Trent Edwards?

BADTHINGSMAN
09-28-2008, 10:24 AM

Lynch,Poz and Edwards. Nice draft so far.

Jan Reimers
09-28-2008, 10:25 AM
Not to mention our MLB for the next 10 years, Poz.

BillsOwnAll
09-28-2008, 10:35 AM
As a wise man once said..

"I don't want pro-bowl players on my team,
I want Super Bowl players."

yordad
09-28-2008, 10:35 AM
Marv Levy picked out players with great character. Great team character leads to total team Identity.

This picture say's it all.

http://media.buffalonews.com/static/images/sports/nflmondaybackw3.pdfThats funny, we even have our ends standing.... on the ends.

gr8slayer
09-28-2008, 10:36 AM
Not to mention our MLB for the next 10 years, Poz.
:lmao:

TacklingDummy
09-28-2008, 10:50 AM
I'd still rather have Ngata over Whitner.

gr8slayer
09-28-2008, 10:50 AM
I'd still rather have Ngata over Whitner.
In retrospect I wouldn't. Especially now that we've landed Stroud.

njsue
09-28-2008, 01:10 PM
Thats funny, we even have our ends standing.... on the ends.

I made that picture my desktop wallpaper :D

Pozilla :hubba: