PDA

View Full Version : My Take on Rams game.

patmoran2006
09-28-2008, 07:45 PM
Lets see if I can do this in under 10 minutes while that steak is cooking, as per usual, in total random order.

The GOOD

* Everyone will talk about the greer int, but in my opinion the play of the game was Whitner. I"ve been harping on this guy for a long time about his lack of meaningful plays. Well today that sack that made the FG a 51-yarder (missed) was f'n HUGE. It seemingly woke up the defense.. That was a HUGE play for Whitner.

* Poz looked like a Pro bowler today.. Tough hits, fighting off blocks, looked good in space.. I think easily the best game of his career.

* Kyle Williams, and I cant believe I'm saying this, looks like a borderline Pro Bowler.

* I dont care what the stats say.. Aaron Schobel is playing the best run defense of his career; by a mile.

* Speaking of not caring bout stats; jesus can anyone imagine what Lynch's numbers would look like had he had the occasional hole to run through? This guy is so tough.

* McKelvin did a decent job pressed into a nickel role today.

* Josh Reed has been as solid as he can be.

* Our defense layed the lumber today.

The Bad
* Jason Peters, you ****ing suck right now.. I dont know if he's intentionally playing half-assed out of frustration over money, but he looks like a CHUMP right now. He played good again in the second half, but guess what, its a 60 minute game.. get your head out of your ass, you're killing us.

*He's not the only OL that gets wrath today though. They ALL sucked.. Yes, Fowler sucks and we all know that, and Butler seems to get whipped plenty too here. But when is someone going to say that Derrick Dockery is EXCEPTIONALLY ORDINARY??? He hasnt done ****.. The fact we're 4-0 with such poor overall OL play is amazing to me.

* Rookie or not, james hardy has a very,very (let me say very again) long way to go to make it in this league.. His hands are suspect right now, but worse, his positional is horrendous. This guy is one of the most raw WR's i've seen here in quite some time.. Please, everyone stop with the we wont miss Parrish on offense crap. . we do miss him. Hardy, aside from the big Jags catch, doesnt look good doing anything.. Catching, Route running, blocking, positioning.. Nothing. I would strongly consider putting Jenkins in at the 3rd WR next week or activating Steve Johnson.

* I know he hasn't "killed us" yet, but is Keith Ellison ever going to make a play?

* I gotta come back to his. We better start playing better on the OL.

SUMMARY:
I'm keeping my *****ing to a minimum because the bottom line is this.. Whether your playing the Rams or the Cowboys, when you win on the road its huge.. I dont care if its 42-10 or 6-3; a win on the road is a win, and that is (literally) ALL that matters.

hydro
09-28-2008, 07:49 PM
:bf1:

Good run down. Although I don't quite agree with Ellison. He is doing his job pretty good for a backup.

gr8slayer
09-28-2008, 07:51 PM
You left out Walkers horrible play both in pass protection and in backside run blocking.

baalworship
09-28-2008, 07:52 PM
Who is Ellison?

alohabillsfan
09-28-2008, 07:53 PM
Pat, I agree with the O-line assessment, with that said the play calling from turk sucked, no play action roll-outs no screens etc.. 2nd half was much, much better.

Mad Bomber
09-28-2008, 07:55 PM
Our run blocking had better get a LOT better, or we will be SCREWED once the weather gets worse and the wind starts to blow at the Ralph....

X-Era
09-28-2008, 07:56 PM
Lets see if I can do this in under 10 minutes while that steak is cooking, as per usual, in total random order.

The GOOD

* Everyone will talk about the greer int, but in my opinion the play of the game was Whitner. I"ve been harping on this guy for a long time about his lack of meaningful plays. Well today that sack that made the FG a 51-yarder (missed) was f'n HUGE. It seemingly woke up the defense.. That was a HUGE play for Whitner.

* Poz looked like a Pro bowler today.. Tough hits, fighting off blocks, looked good in space.. I think easily the best game of his career.

* Kyle Williams, and I cant believe I'm saying this, looks like a borderline Pro Bowler.

* I dont care what the stats say.. Aaron Schobel is playing the best run defense of his career; by a mile.

* Speaking of not caring bout stats; jesus can anyone imagine what Lynch's numbers would look like had he had the occasional hole to run through? This guy is so tough.

* McKelvin did a decent job pressed into a nickel role today.

* Josh Reed has been as solid as he can be.

* Our defense layed the lumber today.

The Bad
* Jason Peters, you ****ing suck right now.. I dont know if he's intentionally playing half-assed out of frustration over money, but he looks like a CHUMP right now. He played good again in the second half, but guess what, its a 60 minute game.. get your head out of your ass, you're killing us.

*He's not the only OL that gets wrath today though. They ALL sucked.. Yes, Fowler sucks and we all know that, and Butler seems to get whipped plenty too here. But when is someone going to say that Derrick Dockery is EXCEPTIONALLY ORDINARY??? He hasnt done ****.. The fact we're 4-0 with such poor overall OL play is amazing to me.

* Rookie or not, james hardy has a very,very (let me say very again) long way to go to make it in this league.. His hands are suspect right now, but worse, his positional is horrendous. This guy is one of the most raw WR's i've seen here in quite some time.. Please, everyone stop with the we wont miss Parrish on offense crap. . we do miss him. Hardy, aside from the big Jags catch, doesnt look good doing anything.. Catching, Route running, blocking, positioning.. Nothing. I would strongly consider putting Jenkins in at the 3rd WR next week or activating Steve Johnson.

* I know he hasn't "killed us" yet, but is Keith Ellison ever going to make a play?

* I gotta come back to his. We better start playing better on the OL.

SUMMARY:
I'm keeping my *****ing to a minimum because the bottom line is this.. Whether your playing the Rams or the Cowboys, when you win on the road its huge.. I dont care if its 42-10 or 6-3; a win on the road is a win, and that is (literally) ALL that matters.

I just dont agree on the OL.

They played poor for a half, but decent the rest of the way. Trent had forever to throw the TD to Evans.

Peters pissed me off with the stupid penalties.

Fowler wasnt even the worst OL today. I think Langston Walker who gave up the most sacks to Leonard Little was.

Anyways, this OL plays better than any OL we have had since the SB years, but today was just a poor showing.

I don't want sweeping changes on our OL. If we can find a true, day one, upgrade to Fowler, fine. But if your going to try to convince me it should be a draft pick, dont bother.

Dont mess with a good thing. The didnt play great today, but they are a good unit.

gr8slayer
09-28-2008, 07:56 PM
We need to drop the zone blocking scheme and start playing more straight up man on man.

gr8slayer
09-28-2008, 07:58 PM
BTW, when are we going to see the savior Chris Ellis play? :snicker:

Mad Bomber
09-28-2008, 07:58 PM
We need to drop the zone blocking scheme and start playing more straight up man on man.
Exactly. When you have HUGE linemen like we do, let them smash mouth...

Mr. Miyagi
09-28-2008, 08:02 PM
Don't forget props to Evans. He played very solid today, including a clutch 2 pt conversion.

Trent played badly iin the first half, but he was pissed. He looked pissed. And it was motivation for him to play much better after the half. Big props to him for not hanging his head like we've seen JP done time and time again when we're down.

Patti120
09-28-2008, 08:05 PM
Good stuff from all posters! Fowler def. has issues, Walker showed that he can be burnt by a fast and talented d-end and Peters looked like ***** but as has been said they seemed to pull it together in the 2nd half. I don't know if it's b/c they are so big and wear guys down in the 2nd half or what but they've got to get consistent throughout the entire game.

Also, Hardy looks like A$$ (long way to go)! Whitner is solid, though I've always been pretty high on him, Lynch, no need to say anything b/c he is the man, Greer is solid, Simpson is looking pretty good, POZ played like a beat, no words express what Stroud's addition has done... and I could go on and on.

The thing that is so impressive is that we seem to have a pretty thorough team from O, D, and Sp. teams.

Scumbag College
09-28-2008, 08:07 PM
Good analysis as always Pat. To add:

The Good:

I really like Kyle Williams. I always have liked him and he has been an absolute steal for a sixth round pick. Whether it's he's playing around as good of a front seven that's been here or he's just improved, he is as big as of a piece of the defense as Poz or Stroud or anyone else is.

Lynch's run on 3 and 4 at midfield was as good of a run as he had this year. He had absolutely no blocking, but made two players miss, ran over a DB and got twelve yards on the play. The next play was the TD to Evans, but Lynch's run was as big as it gets.

Josh Reed is my offensive MVP so far. He's brought it every week, and is almost like another TE or FB blocking down field on running plays.

The Special Teams coverage has been shaky at times this year, but they really bottled up Dante Hall today.

The offensive line is in dire need of a bye week. Not because they are banged up, but to try to figure out how not to get Trent and/or Marshawn killed by the end of the year. On paper, there's alot of talent there. They really need the full bye week to try to figure out what's going wrong with them.

Patti120
09-28-2008, 08:11 PM
Good analysis as always Pat. To add:

The Good:

I really like Kyle Williams. I always have liked him and he has been an absolute steal for a sixth round pick. Whether it's he's playing around as good of a front seven that's been here

Lynch's run on 3 and 4 at midfield was as good of a run as he had this year. He had absolutely no blocking, but made two players miss, ran over a DB and got twelve yards on the play. The next play was the TD to Evans, but Lynch's run was as big as it gets.

Josh Reed is my offensive MVP so far. He's brought it every week, and is almost like another TE or FB blocking down field on running plays.

The Special Teams coverage has been shaky at times this year, but they really bottled up Dante Hall today.

The offensive line is in dire need of a bye week. Not because they are banged up, but to try to figure out how not to get Trent and/or Marshawn killed by the end of the year. On paper, there's alot of talent there. They really need the full bye week to try to figure out what's going wrong with them.

Great post! KW is playing great. Stroud has really opened up his game. Reed really has been clutch as well. Almost everytime there is some sort of a scuffle, Reed is right in the middle of it b/c he is roughing up a Dback.

If our o line could run block well there is no reason that Lynch could not run for over 1500 yard b/c he is that good.

HHURRICANE
09-28-2008, 09:39 PM
NEGS:

1) Peters sucked today.
2) I liked how Dockery helped Peters so Edwards could get sacked cleanly by the guy that Dockery was supposed to be blocking.
3) Can we actually run block?
4) Schobel sucks. I'm sorry but how many sacks does he have in 4 games? It's the frickin Rams and there is zero pass rush from our DEs.

POS:

1) Edwards is Jim Kelly. I actually believe that we can win any game when he is on the field. The pass to Evans was perfection.
2) POZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3) Kyle Williams and Yobouty might be the best players on the D right now.
4) McKelvin actually played well in the secondary.

Tatonka
09-28-2008, 10:22 PM

in the cases where we have given up sacks, the majority of them look like man on man.. de vs. tackle.

gr8slayer
09-28-2008, 10:23 PM
in the cases where we have given up sacks, the majority of them look like man on man.. de vs. tackle.
I'm referring to the running game. Most pass blocking schemes are man on man but you always have to remember to block inside out, something we have a problem with.

DraftBoy
09-28-2008, 10:57 PM
Why do people continue to call out James Hardy like he was actually supposed to do something this year. Almost every guide available including the one published by this very site said he was raw. I dont understand what is so hard to comprehend there? Yes he has a high potential ceiling but don't expect anything near substantial numbers from this kid till year 3...Some people have only been saying this since about last April...

gr8slayer
09-28-2008, 10:59 PM
Why do people continue to call out James Hardy like he was actually supposed to do something this year. Almost every guide available including the one published by this very site said he was raw. I dont understand what is so hard to comprehend there? Yes he has a high potential ceiling but don't expect anything near substantial numbers from this kid till year 3...Some people have only been saying this since about last April...
:wave: