PDA

View Full Version : OpIv37's Postgame Review

Dr. Lecter
09-28-2008, 09:44 PM
It's tempting to make this article the most simplistic analysis in the history of mankind:

The Positve: the 2nd half.
The Negative: the 1st half.

But I feel like I owe BZ and any readers more than that. Plus, I'm way too opinionated to stop without commenting further.

First of all, props to the coaching staff for halftime adjustments. They were horrible at it the last two years, but they're great at it this year.

Link. (http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2008/09/28/opiv37s_postgame_review.php)

Dr. Lecter
09-28-2008, 09:45 PM
Donte Whitner had a great game. He flew from the other side of the field to take Jackson's feet out on that 9 yard run, and he was blitzing but still managed to chase Jackson down on that screen play near the end. Both of those plays went for significant gains, but without Whitner's efforts they're both touchdowns. He also had a sack and a stop at the line of scrimmage.

I had to make sure this stood out. :D

Cntrygal
09-28-2008, 09:52 PM
"Second, if we've confirmed one thing this year, it's that Steve Fairchild was a terrible OC. "

:rofl:

How true!!

Mitchell55
09-28-2008, 10:16 PM
Donte Whitner had a great game. He flew from the other side of the field to take Jackson's feet out on that 9 yard run, and he was blitzing but still managed to chase Jackson down on that screen play near the end. Both of those plays went for significant gains, but without Whitner's efforts they're both touchdowns. He also had a sack and a stop at the line of scrimmage.

I think OP was on drugs. He would never say that.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
09-28-2008, 10:21 PM
good job OP!

trapezeus
09-28-2008, 10:39 PM
gosh, op takes a lot of flak around here for being observant of plays. Obviously, being 4-0 is the most important thing. but you can't escape the fact that they almost lost to two weak teams. good teams find ways to win, but i think we'll all rest better when we see the bills play the chargers and play up to snuff for 4 quarters.

Cntrygal
09-28-2008, 10:43 PM
It would be nice if they played to their level instead of their opponents level!

gr8slayer
09-28-2008, 11:06 PM

Like I said before, it has more to do with the scheme than it does Whitner lacking the talent or skill to play the position well.

OpIv37
09-29-2008, 01:20 AM
I think OP was on drugs. He would never say that.

No, I said it.

I believe in giving credit where credit is due and blame where blame is due.

Overall, I haven't been happy with Whitner, but he came to play today so I gave him his due.

shelby
09-29-2008, 04:01 AM
:bf1: Op!

Dujek
09-29-2008, 04:31 AM

I was going to quote that bit as well. Fair play to Op, he can admit when he's wrong.

Historian
09-29-2008, 04:54 AM
But I feel like I owe BZ and any readers more than that.

madness
09-29-2008, 09:06 AM

:faint:

The last buffalo fan
09-29-2008, 09:41 AM
-Ashton Youboty may be the best tackler on the team.
Antoine Winfield??

Great job, compadre! :up:

trapezeus
09-29-2008, 09:41 AM
i thought the same thing about Lynch and if he's hurting. there was one play in particular where it looked like he hurt himself and they cut from the action. and when they came back he wasn't laying on the ground. he came back later, but he was pretty exhausted and laying around on a lot of the plays.

hurt or not, he did get better as the game wore on. if he can survive the arizona game relatively unscathed, he'll get some healing time on the bye.

Pinkerton Security
09-29-2008, 09:48 AM
gosh, op takes a lot of flak around here for being observant of plays. Obviously, being 4-0 is the most important thing. but you can't escape the fact that they almost lost to two weak teams. good teams find ways to win, but i think we'll all rest better when we see the bills play the chargers and play up to snuff for 4 quarters.

true, but we didnt "almost lose" to the rams...we played poorly in 1/2 of the game, and we were still only down by 1 score. Then we dominated them 25-0 in the 2nd half.

yordad
09-29-2008, 10:11 AM
Nice job Op.

Jeff1220
09-29-2008, 10:20 AM
Even though they struggled for 5 out of 8 quarters against inferior competition, I'll give this Bills team a pass. It's unusual to be in a position in weeks 3 and 4, where you play teams back to back where the coach is playing for his job. I think the Bills handled both teams well...both Oakland and St. Louis played pretty inspired ball for 2-3 qtrs vs. the Bills, running on emotion and/or desperation. But the better team shined in the end. 4-0!

Bulldog
09-29-2008, 12:00 PM
They said today on WGR that the Lynch run on 3rd & 5 was an audible called by Edwards. Edwards said they were playing soft on the corners so he decided to change the play to a run. Pretty heady stuff for a QB in just his 2nd year.

Saratoga Slim
09-29-2008, 12:48 PM
"Second, if we've confirmed one thing this year, it's that Steve Fairchild was a terrible OC. "

How true!!

Exactly! Either Fairchild was amazingly awful, or Schonert is God. Either way, I really like the results.

On the whole, good analysis Op.

madness
09-30-2008, 10:06 AM
Bills' secondary gets physical

The PFW spin
The Bills' D-backs have gotten physical. Where they used to play off the line and avoid contact, they have stuck their nose into the thick of the action and delivered the blow instead of absorbing it.
No Bills defensive back has personified their dramatic shift in physicality more than embattled CB Ashton Youboty. The third-year pro out of Ohio State entered training camp as a likely cut casualty, with his lack of toughness at the root of his problems. But something clicked for him early on, and he’s made as dramatic a turnaround as a player can make. Rather than sitting out with bumps and bruises, he’s delivering the wood on opposing ballcarriers, serving as arguably the most physical defensive back Buffalo has.
On Sunday in St. Louis, McKelvin also got into the act. With starting CB Terrence McGee sitting out much of the afternoon with a sprained knee, McKelvin saw his most extensive action of the season and made his presence known quickly. On a play that actually marked his first career tackle as well, McKelvin slammed into Rams WR Dane Looker and jarred the ball loose for a fumble.
Bills defensive coordinator Perry Fewell is philosophically conservative when it comes to his play-calling, but having physical, dependable corners has enabled him to be more creative with how he’s using his safeties. Primarily, he’s allowed SS Donte Whitner to do more freelancing throughout the formations, something that has been incredibly welcomed by Whitner, who has wanted to be deployed in a manner similar to fellow AFC safeties Troy Polamalu, Ed Reed and Bob Sanders. On Sunday, Whitner made the most of his opportunities, slamming Green for a sack on one such blitz.
The Bills aren’t likely to deviate much from their zone schemes into man press, but they’re nonetheless playing with a sense of purpose and pride in the secondary that was lacking for much of 2007.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+East/Buffalo/Spins/2008/spin092908.htm

Hmm... I wonder if there's any correlation between Whitner finally being allowed to freelance and Op's positive opinion of him this week. :D