PDA

View Full Version : Reason our OL sucks

Mitchell55
09-28-2008, 10:47 PM
We got rid of our OL coach. Its not that they arent good, its that McNally was a realy good OL coach. How else do you explain going from a top 10 OL to bottom 5.

Sportsuser101
09-28-2008, 11:07 PM
Well if we kept McNally our offense wouldn't have changed much. McNally had alot to say about the offensive scheme we ran. If we still had him our offense would have been very similiar to last year.

TrEd FTW
09-28-2008, 11:08 PM
I sincerely doubt McNally's departure would cause such a substantial drop-off. The line has been terrible in all aspects this season, which is surprising and disappointing. It's not helping that Peters is making at least one costly mistake per game. He must be filling some sort of quota for occasional suckiness.

Just to clarify, Peters will be fine. Gotta shake the cobwebs off.

Romes
09-28-2008, 11:10 PM
We didn't let him go. He retired.

...and we had similar problems last year on the OL.

TrEd FTW
09-28-2008, 11:12 PM
Last season, the line gave up a franchise-record 26 sacks.

In four games this season, 11. That puts them on pace for 44.

Not acceptable. They all need to be far better.

Block "O"
09-28-2008, 11:16 PM
whoah!!!! Our O-Line sucks??? They could be better but "sucks"??? Come on guys. Remember our O-Line a few years ago? Nuff said.

Romes
09-28-2008, 11:17 PM
I wonder how many sacks Peters gave up last year. Cause if you take him out of the equation the sack pace is about the same.

The bigger problem is the run blocking, imo.

TrEd FTW
09-28-2008, 11:27 PM
I wonder how many sacks Peters gave up last year.

Two, according to the Buffalo News: http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/448398.html.

gr8slayer
09-28-2008, 11:28 PM
I wonder how many sacks Peters gave up last year. Cause if you take him out of the equation the sack pace is about the same.

The bigger problem is the run blocking, imo.
For the win!

LABillsFan
09-28-2008, 11:35 PM
The run blocking seems decent. It isn't until the second half it seems that the line starts taking control of the game, or wearing out the D. Fortunately there are 2 capable backs in there so one doesn't get punished too much.

buffalony85
09-28-2008, 11:46 PM
4-0 Quit *****ing!

gr8slayer
09-28-2008, 11:49 PM
The run blocking seems decent. It isn't until the second half it seems that the line starts taking control of the game, or wearing out the D. Fortunately there are 2 capable backs in there so one doesn't get punished too much.
The run blocking leaves much to be desired. We have one of the largest OL's in the NFL and we insist on running this POS zone blocking scheme. We need to take advantage of being one of the largest and just start running some smash mouth football. Stop trying to be fancy with the zone, our offensive line has proven multiple times this year that they can't do it and struggle to get to the second level when doing it.

DrGraves
09-28-2008, 11:58 PM
if marshawn was someone who couldnt beast mode over 8 guys every carry just to get back to the line of scrimage, this team wouldnt have over 50 yards rushing a game.

OpIv37
09-29-2008, 12:53 AM
We got rid of our OL coach. Its not that they arent good, its that McNally was a realy good OL coach. How else do you explain going from a top 10 OL to bottom 5.

that's insane.

Our OL was bad for most of McNally's tenure. He made something out of nothing with peters but did little else.

The two biggest reasons why our OL sucked is 1) Melvin Fowler just lacks talent and 2) Peters held out and isn't ready for NFL football 1/4 of the way through the season.

PECKERWOOD
09-29-2008, 01:07 AM
We didn't let him go. He retired.

...and we had similar problems last year on the OL.

We didn't give up many sacks last year but we still had problems with the run game. There is no reason for Marshawn to be averaging under 4.0ypc, he is WAY better than that. We need to help beastmode more often.

Oaf
09-29-2008, 01:33 AM
Today our OLine got manhandled by the worst D in the league. And yes, for all 4 quarters. I just wonder what it's like to be Melvin Fowler when he gets back to the huddle after getting his QB destroyed on consecutive plays.

The $100 Million project is still a work in progress. Walker has looked better as a preseason LT than reg season RT. Fowler's garbage, Dockery is average, and Peters has done big damage to himself and his team.

Michael82
09-29-2008, 01:54 AM
If you want to know who to blame, you should point your finger at Jason Peters. His selfish act forced the coaches to change the OL around. They mit t2banter and put Chambers at RT. The line worked without Peters all Spring and Summer. They started jelling nicely without Peters and gave Edwards a ton of time in the pocket in the first game. Then Peters comes back and is nowhere near game ready. it takes time for that. Plus it takes time for both OGs to get vsed to a new OT again. I see them improving and gelling after the bye.

Michael82
09-29-2008, 01:59 AM
One more thing. Melvin Fowler sucks! I would love to see Duke Preston get a chance after the bye week if Fowler still struggles.

njsue
09-29-2008, 02:05 AM
We can all agree on getting a better Center in the off season.

Jason Peter's will be better after the bye. He pissed me off in yesterday's game. :mad:

TheBrownBear
09-29-2008, 02:10 AM
Our o-line's performance has been sub-par. It's actually pretty amazing what Trent and Marshawn have been able to accomplish in spite of it.

Walker and Peters have been getting killed on the outside speed rush, but that is actually where you want to push the pressure - up the field behind the quarterback, so he can step up into the "pocket" and make throws. I think the bigger problem in this respect has been the interior line. Guys like Fowler and Dockery are getting dominated and pushed back into Trent, so he has no pocket to step into. That's why you see him just drift back into the outside pressure and take sacks. I think he's got a good feel and pocket presence, it's just that he hasn't had a pocket to operate in during the first half the last two weeks. Let's hope that the coaches can shore up this weakness.

Ingtar33
09-29-2008, 03:00 AM
i saw a lot of flat out WRONG line calls in Sundays game.

a lot of those sacks (atleast 2) were the result of a horrible line call by Fowler.

Mr. Pink
09-29-2008, 03:05 AM
I've been saying since we signed Fowler that he was a bum and it was a bad deal.

I saw him play in Cleveland and the fact it took one year to replace him in the lineup.

I stated all of the reasons why he's simply not good enough to be a starting Center in this league, I got combated with "oh he did well when he filled in in Minny."

Problem is he's the same guy he was when he was in Cleveland. Physically he hasn't grown and mentally he's actually regressed. He used to be a decent guy at calling out the assignments at the line.

But he's still the same garbage average pass blocker absolutely god awful run blocker. Actually god awful is a nice way of putting it.

There's no surprise that McGahee ran better his first year than second and that reason is the guy that anchors the line. Fowler couldn't carry Trey Teague's mediocre ass jocky strap.

thenry20
09-29-2008, 03:28 AM

I totally disagree. Our run blocking is worse than last year. Thru 14 games, ML won't even come close to sniffing 1000 yards. And pass blocking has been alot better this year, believe it or not.

Mahdi
09-29-2008, 04:34 AM
The run blocking leaves much to be desired. We have one of the largest OL's in the NFL and we insist on running this POS zone blocking scheme. We need to take advantage of being one of the largest and just start running some smash mouth football. Stop trying to be fancy with the zone, our offensive line has proven multiple times this year that they can't do it and struggle to get to the second level when doing it.
We dont run the zone blocking scheme anymore. McNally scrapped it in the second half of his last season.

YardRat
09-29-2008, 05:39 AM
Melvin Fowler sucks and Peters isn't in shape yet.

Next question...

jamze132
09-29-2008, 05:40 AM
that's insane.

Our OL was bad for most of McNally's tenure. He made something out of nothing with peters but did little else.

The two biggest reasons why our OL sucked is 1) Melvin Fowler just lacks talent and 2) Peters held out and isn't ready for NFL football 1/4 of the way through the season.
Exactly. You hit the nail on the head and beat me to the punch.

elltrain22
09-29-2008, 06:01 AM
Our o-line is great!! Seriously, we have one the best pass blocking lines, and our run protection is only gonna get better. Ye of little faith

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
09-29-2008, 07:32 AM
I would not say our line is terrible.

I think we all expected it to be very good, and instead it is very average.

The Rams were throwing the book at the Bills trying to save Linehan's job.

Like it or not, the Rams have some quality guys on their D-line...and combined with our average o-line, they looked like pro-bowlers Sunday.

The line calls were wrong on at least three of the sacks, and that's Fowler's fault.
I don't think Preston would be any better in that regard.

My big concern is that Edwards is getting beat up too much.

I DO NOT want to see Losman take the field for any meaningful snaps this year.

I have ZERO confidence that he can get the job done, and although I will stop short of saying he would tank just for revenge, I don't get the impression he would be willing to give 100% for an entire game.

Jan Reimers
09-29-2008, 07:45 AM
The O-line will improve as Peters returns to form, but I still don't like our run blocking at all. Lynch gets most of his yardage on his own. On the rare occasions that he or Jackson actually get a block, they're into the secondary for big yardage.

HHURRICANE
09-29-2008, 07:47 AM
McNally sucked. I'm glad he's gone. The o-line is weak at center and Peters is playing without the benefit of camp.

I think the coaching is fine but the o-line is what it is. Hard to design plays to run up the middle with Fowler as your center.

Pinkerton Security
09-29-2008, 08:14 AM
I would not say our line is terrible.

I think we all expected it to be very good, and instead it is very average.

The Rams were throwing the book at the Bills trying to save Linehan's job.

Like it or not, the Rams have some quality guys on their D-line...and combined with our average o-line, they looked like pro-bowlers Sunday.

The line calls were wrong on at least three of the sacks, and that's Fowler's fault.
I don't think Preston would be any better in that regard.

My big concern is that Edwards is getting beat up too much.

I DO NOT want to see Losman take the field for any meaningful snaps this year.

I have ZERO confidence that he can get the job done, and although I will stop short of saying he would tank just for revenge, I don't get the impression he would be willing to give 100% for an entire game.

The only thing I disagree with in your post is the bold above: If throwing the book at us means having Leonard Little, who many think is washed up, run straight around Walker and simply duck his shoulder and shoot by, then idk what to say. Walker looked SLOW yesterday, and Little abused him.

Mad Bomber
09-29-2008, 08:20 AM

:bf1:

Agreed.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
09-29-2008, 08:23 AM
The only thing I disagree with in your post is the bold above: If throwing the book at us means having Leonard Little, who many think is washed up, run straight around Walker and simply duck his shoulder and shoot by, then idk what to say. Walker looked SLOW yesterday, and Little abused him.

I guess I should have said that they had their ears pinned back most of the day.
They applied pressure consistently.

I did not pay much attention to their alignments.

I am not saying that the Ram's are the world's greatest defense, but
they were fired up, and they smelled blood.